Lauren

Brake upgrades - discs/pads?

Lauren, ask a Richard how much he can get Castrol SRF for, it’s worth it and comes in litre bottle and won’t need bleeding or topping up after events. If your spending a lot of money on the upgrade then a few more pounds won’t hurt and you will have a great set up.

Just popped over to the Millers Website and they do a Performance 5.1:

Dry Boiling Point 272°C

Wet Boiling Point 185°C

Compared to the 300+:

Equilibrium Reflux Boiling Point Above 310°C

Wet Equilibrium Boiling Point Above 194°C

The 5.1 is around £10 per 500ml.

14 minutes ago, maurice said:

I've been using RBF600 for the last year or so. As @Ade mentioned for RBF660, the 600 also felt past it's best at 9 months, that's why I bled it before Oulton.

It is well specced and cheap though, I don't mind bleeding every 9 months.

I don't want to be changing it every 9 months to be fair. Two years or for me, 20K miles is more like it. 

Edited post.... I forgot bottles were 500ml not a litre.

I know that higher boiling point fluid is ideal in a perfect world, but if OEM fluid wan't an issue with standard braking kit for you then I'd say any of these are well suited especially if going for a BBK.

I tend to prefer Millers as it's a UK based operation, when I had my fluid changed at Abbey they use it as the default performance option so I assume that Mark also uses it on his Nissan race car. I also note that the 300+ has this on the spec sheet:

• Extended performance DOT 4 + formulation suitable for high performance road cars, track day and competition use.
  • Robust against water absorption, improving resistance to vapour lock.

I think that it comes at the right price per spec and unless you're going for ultra high performance fluid at much higher cost I can't see much point using anything else. The RBF fluids warn about moisture absorption on their spec sheet, which I would suggest makes it less than ideal for permanent road use.

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

Just thinking, is a litre enough, or will I need two? 

And thank you, you lot for all the helpful advice. Much appreciated. :)

Litre is enough and had my fluid changed at recent service/mot and had been in for couple of years with no problems. SRF comes in litre bottles so initially looks mega expensive but not that much more when you need two bottles of 500 ml from other brands.

At the end of the day we’re only talking of about £20 more than other brands 

Litre is enough and had my fluid changed at recent service/mot and had been in for couple of years with no problems. SRF comes in litre bottles so initially looks mega expensive but not that much more when you need two bottles of 500 ml from other brands.
At the end of the day we’re only talking of about £20 more than other brands 
You can get 5.1 for alot less though and if that does the job is good for 2 years

AP racing also supply dot 5.1 with their bbks for the gt86.

Sure for stock brakes that get hot 5.1 is perhaps not up to the job but for a large brake kit the temps will be much lower.

If it aint broke...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm bound to stock brakes legally, as fitting any BBK would make my car locally non-MOT-legal. So i need to get most of stockers. So no way around using better fluids with higher boiling temps & more track-ish pads for performance closer to as with less capable. but on BBKs, that run cooler.

Okay time to get the rear discs sorted. Not sure whether to just go for stock rear discs and say EBC yellows, or to go for something else? 

I've looked up the DBA rear discs, £300, seems a lot of money! Notice Fensport recommend them with the Hawk pads. I used these pads on my DC2 which had a BBK and they were very good. 

GT86_Rear_T3_Slotted_Discs,_(Pair)_LD.jp

https://www.fensport.co.uk/products/gt86-dba-rear-t3-slotted-discs

They certainly look tasty, but is it worth it on the rears? I guess they would look good with my AP four pots up front. 

Or there is an EBC option for less than half the price at £140 or so. 

D-GD-USR.jpg

I guess the Ultimax discs are the obvious option? 

Sounds like a cheaper option, but blimey, hard to find! 

Found them, I think on Tarmac, though I'm almost unable to buy them because they call them rotors rather than discs! 

https://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/stoptech-toyota-gt86-subaru-brz-13-16-subaru-forester-09-13-impreza-wrx-08-14-legacy-10-14-rear-premium-brake-rotor.html

5 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Sounds like a cheaper option, but blimey, hard to find! 

Found them, I think on Tarmac, though I'm almost unable to buy them because they call them rotors rather than discs! 

https://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/stoptech-toyota-gt86-subaru-brz-13-16-subaru-forester-09-13-impreza-wrx-08-14-legacy-10-14-rear-premium-brake-rotor.html

I ordered mine from Amber @Lauren @James@Amber had no problem getting them 👍

I'm on Cosworth street masters for the rears. They feel like a very similar compound to the DS2500 on the front so they work really well, probably abit more street biased. 

I'd suggest you look for a similar compound to the DS2500. The main thing I was concerned about was brake bias, the AP kit is one of the closest to keeping the stock balance, so you don't want an overly aggressive rear pad.