Sign in to follow this  
infernouk

Fixing Paint issue caused from debadging

Hey guys,

I was debading my GT86 i collected today and unfortunately when the badges have come off they have taken some paint with them! 

I have debadged previous cars with a hairdryer with no issue so i guess its bad luck or toyota paint.

Im hoping someone here has some advice that can resolve this as its pretty upsetting to happen to my new car.

Here are a couple of pics of the situation, its pretty bad so I wondered if i had any easy / lower cost fixes than doing to a dent repair service?

It looks like they are just marks but they are actually layered into the paint 

Cheers

3sKQ8txh.jpg

7xUnbrEh.jpg

Mobile repair service will do a fine job I’d suggest, anything else will be triple the price. Or just buy s touch up stick would probably look okay. Also for you and anyone reading when taking badges off in future soak them in wd40 then use some string/floss/fishing line to saw through any tough bits and a soft sqeeegee to save the paint :) 

I didn't have that issue when removing the Toyota badges. I did end up with loads of goo on the front that took a good 1-2 hours trying to get off. 

My Toyota text badge was already removed and looks ok. The GT86 badge I have left on; I didn't want people asking me every 10mins "is that a supra?" "is that a Celica?"

You could try using Chipex, I have used it on my stone chips. Works very well. 

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/scratch-repair-paint-restorers/farecla-g3-permanent-scratch-remover-paste-150ml

I can guarantee that this will sort out your problem. If I can't be bothered to get my DA polisher out on couple scratches I always use this. (2 second job)

Edit/

I thought it was just scratches but on second look looks like the paint is gone in places. 

10 minutes ago, Devo said:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/scratch-repair-paint-restorers/farecla-g3-permanent-scratch-remover-paste-150ml

I can guarantee that this will sort out your problem. If I can't be bothered to get my DA polisher out on couple scratches I always use this. (2 second job)

Edit/

I thought it was just scratches but on second look looks like the paint is gone in places. 

thats what i mean, the paint came clean off, how can i fix it best?

1 hour ago, Devo said:

http://www.carolescraftsuk.co.uk/product-p/490926.htm

Watch this and it won't be perfect but a lot better. To make it perfect it would be a respray job.

Yeah I assumed something like that would be the solution unfortunely, what’s a respray like in cost? 

And yeah I used hairdryer but just seem to have been unlucky there was so much adhesive 

1 hour ago, Cerastes said:

I haven't watched all that video but it looks very similar to chipex. Although Chipex was just 3 steps for me. You can see some of my pics from when I used it in my build thread. 

ah great ill look into that hopefully it can do the job! 

was this the stuff? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chipex-Touch-TOYOTA-onwards-Repair/dp/B01DJUG7QS/ref=sr_1_3?m=A90ZMNOCSQEWS&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1509230211&sr=1-3&keywords=toyota+gt86

9 hours ago, infernouk said:

That's the one, I bought directly from chipex.co.uk. There some videos on there too. Really easy to use and the effect is barely noticeable; well for my stone chips anyway, I don't know how it will look with yours. Although if I remember correctly it does say in the guide for bigger/deeper stone chips just apply as necessary so I assume it will work for yours. 

The one I did on my roof I can't even find now. 

2 hours ago, Cerastes said:

That's the one, I bought directly from chipex.co.uk. There some videos on there too. Really easy to use and the effect is barely noticeable; well for my stone chips anyway, I don't know how it will look with yours. Although if I remember correctly it does say in the guide for bigger/deeper stone chips just apply as necessary so I assume it will work for yours. 

The one I did on my roof I can't even find now. 

cheers ive ordered the small package and will give it a go

I would guess your gt86 has had paint in that area before, my gt86 had a bumper respray and also chipped when removing the badge in a similar way as was fairly soft compared to the factory paint, the rear on my car was no issues as factory paint which seems much harder (either age or applied better). Most people haven't had this issue, which would also back this theory up.