Fenhopper

Rustling noise after windscreen replacement.

Hi all,

I had the windscreen replaced on my GT86 last week (by National windscreens - Peterborough). I now have a very irritating rustling noise that seems to be coming from the top of the windscreen, where it meets the interior roof lining. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue after a windscreen replacement?

The noise manifests on the slightest road bumps, so it can be heard almost constantly on anything other than a perfect surface. 

If I run my finger along the point where the windscreen meets the interior roof lining inside the car, there is a little bit of clearance at the extremes of the driver and passenger ends, but no clearance in the middle; I'm not sure how it should be, and I'd be really grateful if someone could check this out on their GT86/BRZ.

Thanks all,

Matt.

6 minutes ago, Fenhopper said:

Hi all,

I had the windscreen replaced on my GT86 last week (by National windscreens - Peterborough). I now have a very irritating rustling noise that seems to be coming from the top of the windscreen, where it meets the interior roof lining. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue after a windscreen replacement?

The noise manifests on the slightest road bumps, so it can be heard almost constantly on anything other than a perfect surface. 

If I run my finger along the point where the windscreen meets the interior roof lining inside the car, there is a little bit of clearance at the extremes of the driver and passenger ends, but no clearance in the middle; I'm not sure how it should be, and I'd be really grateful if someone could check this out on their GT86/BRZ.

Thanks all,

Matt.

Did they fit the seal kit that's needed too? A lot of the windscreen places seem to turn up without it.

Just now, Deacon said:

Did they fit the seal kit that's needed too? A lot of the windscreen places seem to turn up without it.

I asked them if they had the correct 'surround' and they said that they did, but I may have used incorrect terminology. What does the seal kit consist of?

Thanks.

1 minute ago, Fenhopper said:

I asked them if they had the correct 'surround' and they said that they did, but I may have used incorrect terminology. What does the seal kit consist of?

Thanks.

It's basically the black rubbery surround thing you can see around the screen. I'd have thought by now most of the windscreen places would know about it but it was just a thought as I know quite a few people did have issues with them not turning up with it.

2 minutes ago, Deacon said:

It's basically the black rubbery surround thing you can see around the screen. I'd have thought by now most of the windscreen places would know about it but it was just a thought as I know quite a few people did have issues with them not turning up with it.

Yep, they had that. I specifically asked (I called it the surround) because last time I had it replaced (only about 3 months ago) they did turn up without it and had to come back another day.

I Just want to close the loop on this in case anyone else faces the same issue in the future.

First of all, I have to say that National Windscreens were brilliant; after phoning them, they came out the next day to assess the issue, and took it seriously.

They agreed with me that the rustling noise was coming from the interior roof lining vibrating because the windscreen was pushed too tight against it. They have now refitted the windscreen, and raised it slightly so that there is a bit more clearance between the glass and the interior roof lining - this has now fixed the problem.

The guys that did the work said that they had not seen this issue before.

Thanks to all that replied,

Matt.

On 10/15/2017 at 1:34 PM, Deacon said:

I might have similar problem

How would you know if they fit the seal kit ?

On 9/3/2019 at 9:08 PM, Deacon said:

You should be able to see the seal around the screen. 

Does this look about right ? (This is the top driver side)

IMG_6306.jpg