I really like it, I cannot wait to see how it turns out. Lets hope it does. :)

I'm not a fan of the targa top though. Can't see the point of losing chassis rigidity, having a bad hair day and suffering the inevitable buffeting. 

I find it utterly bizarre, the front lights look like they're designed for an entirely different shaped car, the back end looks like a Prius with the exhaust from an Aventador which is a strange choice for a hybrid. Aesthetically it's a total mess - I just don't understand the thought process, it's like there's some unspoken rule that all hybrids must look awful.

Also, a manual shift without a clutch just sounds like a horribly inefficient and slow way to change gears compared to flappy paddles, no? I can already picture the amount of people jumping in, sticking it in manual mode and slamming their heads against the windscreen as soon as they go for the non-existent clutch and hitting the brake pedal :lol:

I agree a little bit on the styling. The lights at the front, head on it will look like a lorry coming towards you. The back is a mess. 

It is a concept so I guess it will look nothing like that. 

I'm not worried about the styling given it's a concept, but more interested in the hybrid system, I would really love to see a performance hybrid, it could well be my next car. Full electric for these kind of cars is not there yet, but I cannot wait for that, either. :)

8 minutes ago, Cerastes said:

I agree a little bit on the styling. The lights at the front, head on it will look like a lorry coming towards you. The back is a mess. 

It is a concept so I guess it will look nothing like that. 

The thing is, a concept isn't slave to any of the regulations that a production model car is, so surely this is the stage to make it look awesome? At the moment it looks like they've raided the parts bin and shoved it all together really quickly just to have something to display the 'idea' in but the 'idea' doesn't seem to go much beyond a hybrid, targa GT86 with a bizarre auto box. I can't un-see those bloody massive toy buttons on the dash for reverse etc. either. Having said that, a decent performance hybrid is much needed, if they can sort out the look, I'm all for it.

2 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I'm not worried about the styling given it's a concept, but more interested in the hybrid system, I would really love to see a performance hybrid, it could well be my next car. Full electric for these kind of cars is not there yet, but I cannot wait for that, either. :)

I think the wording is wrong on the article. When they say "Hybrid" they don't mean it in petrol/electric hybrid. They mean it as a mix of auto and manual gears hybrid, not hybrid engine unfortunately. 

Just now, Cerastes said:

I think the wording is wrong on the article. When they say "Hybrid" they don't mean it in petrol/electric hybrid. They mean it as a mix of auto and manual gears hybrid, not hybrid engine unfortunately. 

Hybrid powertrain = hybrid engine surely?

I personally really like it, i tend to like cars that are a bit out there. Obviously i'd want to drive it before making any conclusions to if it works, but i personally really like the looks both inside and out. If toyota have managed to make a fun to drive hybrid car that can still be around the sub 30k market then i for one will jump on board.

As others have said it must be really weird to shift in a manual but not need a clutch... would take a while to get used to i guess

Also loving that Fighter Jet style start button xD i'd feel like a 9 year old everytime i start it up haha!

1 hour ago, Nimz said:

Also, a manual shift without a clutch just sounds like a horribly inefficient and slow way to change gears compared to flappy paddles, no? I can already picture the amount of people jumping in, sticking it in manual mode and slamming their heads against the windscreen as soon as they go for the non-existent clutch and hitting the brake pedal :lol:

yeah it'll be slower than using a paddle but at least it gives those who still prefer a H shifter a chance to keep 'rowing their own' gears but it's been done before with the BMW e46 SMG equipped cars

5 minutes ago, Nimz said:

That button looks like they had a job lot of old keyboards...

Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 17.12.12.png

haha i didn't think of that, but now i would never be able to look at it the same :'D

Quite a few small town cars once came with a clutchless manual option in the 90s. Very very very bad - see also "Dualogic" and "semi-automatic transmission".

Presumably a gimmick to stir up some press, rather than a deliberate choice over the large number of hybrid-suitable transmission designs there are now.