SGT

Gt86 owner, Potentially...

Hello.. 

Thanks for stopping by guys. I am currently on hunt for GT Grey 86. I saw a 2012 model with 40K on clock on Arnold Clark. I have heard mixed reviews about them guys before but nothing too major. I will link the car below aswell. 

What are the things to primarily look out for when shopping for 86, I've heard about the battery issues, is there anything else i need to consider? Also having said that, I am currently based in Hampshire,UK  and Glasgow is bit of a drive for me : ( However, perhaps would anyone at their spare time be able to check out the car / quick inspect it for my peace of mind if reside locally? . I would be very grateful if you could.

I appreciate your thoughts and help guys. 

Thank you.

https://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/toyota/gt86/2-0-d-4s-2dr/2012/ref/arnge-u-6280

A 12 plate will or soon will be out of warranty suppose they will give you a year but would a more local dealer honour it. Mileage isn't excessive but they can still have issues on the mechanical side

Thanks Nikndel. I have thought about the warranty aspects of it but i have a good friend who is an experienced mechanic anyway, either way i am fine with 2012 model. What do you tend to look out for from mechanical point of view? Anything in particular?

Thanks

The short answer is that they are hardy cars, mechanically. Yes, coil packs can throw EML and the only way to sort that is to replace the coil pack. I've gone through three in 104K miles. The weeping cam plate is a well known issue too, though not difficult to sort and not hard to DIY. 

VVTi issues are far, far less common. 

Most people will experience condensation in the rear lights. This is just a cosmetic issue though. Mine have done it forever, I just chose not to worry about it. The other thing that does happen is the drivers side glass guide, between the window and the front quarter light will rust where the seal sits. Lots of these have been done under warranty. 

Lots will say that the car is difficult to get into second gear when going down the box from third when cold. This happens to everyone and is simply just how it is. It's fine after five minutes of driving. Mine has done this since I got it and still does now. Again, not a fault as such, some complain about it more than others. 

The engine is strong there are no problems as such with the drivetrain. The same applies to the suspension. I've not gone through any wheel bearings, brakes and discs last well, typically over 30K miles. Tyre wear is fairly even, though the rears don't last as long as the fronts.

Hi Guys,

I appreciate your feedback and support as always. 

I am still on market for 86, There is a TRD edition 2013 for £17,750 with 19k on clock. Is it priced too high for what it is? I possibly might be going down later today to have a look around it. I told them if it was £17,000 I will possibly consider it.. Lots of room to haggle tho..

What's your take on it?

:)

@SGT

It's somewhat reasonable price, but £17000 Sounds better for the year. I mean, I personally wouldn't go for TRD as I'm not a fan of the quad exhaust & rear bumper, and to buy a TRD just to modify it is a waste of money imo. 

If you like it and if you're not planning on modifying it, then go for it, otherwise you're likely to get similar mileage for £2-£3k cheaper and you won't feel bad when you change your exhaust or wheels etc. 

Yeah. I don't really plan on doing much to the car cosmetically, I possibly might stick turbo on it in near future. I do however prefer the look of the TRD in person and although it looks all go and no show, we all know what the car is capable of right.

Thanks for your feedback.. I just couldn't phantom paying that additional £750 .. 

The car is also based in Jemca Bracknell, would you happen to know much about these guys?

Cheers. 

5 hours ago, SGT said:

Yeah. I don't really plan on doing much to the car cosmetically, I possibly might stick turbo on it in near future. I do however prefer the look of the TRD in person and although it looks all go and no show, we all know what the car is capable of right.

Thanks for your feedback.. I just couldn't phantom paying that additional £750 .. 

The car is also based in Jemca Bracknell, would you happen to know much about these guys?

Cheers. 

My gt86 is from jemca Bracknell, no issues and the sales guy I dealt with at least was fairly knowledgeable about the gt86, they apparently make a point of buying up used examples to sell on compared to some other Toyota dealers who know very little about them.

All TRD cars will be a good premium used over a regular example as they cost alot more new.  

Might have been Alan was 18mths ago. If it's all good get it bought. Don't always need money off (where sells do this they have just over priced it in first place if happy to do this, must have been priced ok compared to other TRD examples to get you there. £750 is prob more than the sales guys commission anyway. Plus sounds like if it needed tyres and brakes you would have offered £750 less (ie the cost of these), so why not pay full price if it's perfect.