McDude

Pioneer SPH-DA120 Install and Review

Can I just comment on how useful your original post was. I went to buy a BRZ on Thursday and used your guide to order all cables (and Halfords for a Pioneer SPH-D230DAB as they had it at a good price) and managed to get it all installed over the weekend.

Also did the DAB under the speaker grill as suggested above and its working but haven;t tried it in many places yet.

On 12/11/2018 at 7:25 PM, General_Kirby said:

Can I just comment on how useful your original post was. I went to buy a BRZ on Thursday and used your guide to order all cables (and Halfords for a Pioneer SPH-D230DAB as they had it at a good price) and managed to get it all installed over the weekend.

Also did the DAB under the speaker grill as suggested above and its working but haven;t tried it in many places yet.

General_Kirby, I was just thinking the same! Good work McDude. Thank you!

Could either of you tell me or provide a link to where you bought your harness cables and surround from please??

I got 25% off this today! Can’t wait to fit it at the weekend but only want to do it with all the right bits in hand. 

90D86B91-B96F-4C05-BA7E-79256DCC0176.jpeg

On 20/11/2018 at 5:53 PM, BristolLee said:

General_Kirby, I was just thinking the same! Good work McDude. Thank you!

Could either of you tell me or provide a link to where you bought your harness cables and surround from please??

I got 25% off this today! Can’t wait to fit it at the weekend but only want to do it with all the right bits in hand. 

90D86B91-B96F-4C05-BA7E-79256DCC0176.jpeg

I used this when fitting the pioneer (previously mentioned in this thread) that I bought...

https://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/stereo-fitting-accessories/toyota-iso-t-harness-adaptor-ct10ty01?istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=-xwwarwmtpx&istBid=t&_$ja=tsid:94971|cid:868555897|agid:49387676812|tid:pla-331764450417|crid:203456299599|nw:g|rnd:17333582507439880408|dvc:m|adp:1o1|mt:|loc:1006575&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5JCS1dPr3gIV7ZXtCh1MegOREAQYASABEgKmFvD_BwE

It led to a lot of stuff being crammed into the dashboard, so I spliced it and the Pioneer loom together! All joins soldered and covered with heat shrink.

Regarding the surround, I made my own blanking pieces. I shared the dimensions in this thread...

http://www.gt86.org.uk/forums/topic/6598-diy-phone-holder-head-unit-blanks-and-usb-connection/?tab=comments#comment-104212

On 23/11/2018 at 11:33 PM, TommyC said:

I used this when fitting the pioneer (previously mentioned in this thread) that I bought...

https://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/stereo-fitting-accessories/toyota-iso-t-harness-adaptor-ct10ty01?istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=-xwwarwmtpx&istBid=t&_$ja=tsid:94971|cid:868555897|agid:49387676812|tid:pla-331764450417|crid:203456299599|nw:g|rnd:17333582507439880408|dvc:m|adp:1o1|mt:|loc:1006575&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5JCS1dPr3gIV7ZXtCh1MegOREAQYASABEgKmFvD_BwE

It led to a lot of stuff being crammed into the dashboard, so I spliced it and the Pioneer loom together! All joins soldered and covered with heat shrink.

Regarding the surround, I made my own blanking pieces. I shared the dimensions in this thread...

http://www.gt86.org.uk/forums/topic/6598-diy-phone-holder-head-unit-blanks-and-usb-connection/?tab=comments#comment-104212

Cheers for the link. 

Ive ended up copying everything that McDude bought for his as it only came to another £25. 😂

Fortunately the XAV-AV3005DB had a single DIN chassis, Double DIN screen and frame. So should be reasonable space for the harnesses etc.

One final question for you both. The unit has a green wire that the instructions say needs to be attached to the handbrake position sensor. Did you do it? 

Cheers again for the help!

Didn't bother with the handbrake wire. I'm pretty sure it's to stop videos being played whilst you're on the move... I've never played any video content on any headunit I've owned and don't intend to start! 🙂

2 hours ago, TommyC said:

Didn't bother with the handbrake wire. I'm pretty sure it's to stop videos being played whilst you're on the move... I've never played any video content on any headunit I've owned and don't intend to start! 🙂

That’s what I thought too. 

I’ll be sure to give it a test drive before the final fit and tidy up. 

Cheers

5 hours ago, BristolLee said:

Cheers for the link. 

Ive ended up copying everything that McDude bought for his as it only came to another £25. 😂

Fortunately the XAV-AV3005DB had a single DIN chassis, Double DIN screen and frame. So should be reasonable space for the harnesses etc.

One final question for you both. The unit has a green wire that the instructions say needs to be attached to the handbrake position sensor. Did you do it? 

Cheers again for the help!

I just earthed the green wire ;) means you can work with all the settings e.g. BlueTooth

Great thread guys thanks for the tips on installing. I'm looking to get the Pioneer one very soon with DAB. 

Quick question, are you aware of a harness that allows you to use the steering wheel controls? I'm aware there are a few harnesses advertised but wondered if you'd be able to recommend any first hand.

18 minutes ago, Sighe98 said:

Great thread guys thanks for the tips on installing. I'm looking to get the Pioneer one very soon with DAB. 

Quick question, are you aware of a harness that allows you to use the steering wheel controls? I'm aware there are a few harnesses advertised but wondered if you'd be able to recommend any first hand.

Sorry bud, I don't know of any. Steering Wheel controls don't exist on my 2012 model so I never needed to investigate 😕

9 hours ago, Sighe98 said:

This is something I’m not sure about. Reading the instructions for my Sony HU, it has a section about programming the unit for steering wheel controls, but I won’t know if they work until I receive all my cables to do the install. 

9 hours ago, TommyC said:

A bit of Googling has found this...

http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/ProductItem/CTSSU004.2

Dunno if it's any good though?

Thanks for the link Tommy. This may come in handy if my HU doesn’t deal with steering wheel controls after all 😐🤔

I had this unit on my 350z, great bit of kit and very subtle/OEM looking. Did your original BRZ unit have the ability to take phone calls? Just wondering if I can keep the existing mic from the standard 86 head unit if I upgrade.

The mic in the 86 is amplified and doesn’t use a headphone type jack like most aftermarket ones. So probably not compatible. There’s some info on the forum about it.

I don’t really wanna bodge the connection and blow something in my new headunit by inputting too high a volume, although I am curious!

Not especially helpful regarding the 'factory' Mic but...

My Pioneer came with a mic that's on a standard headphone-jack. I carefully peeled off the standard one, coiled it up as much as I could and left it neatly bound up in the dash (just in case I ever want to return to standard in future... 🤔).

The supplied Pioneer one went in its place and works well 🙂

IMG_3449.JPG

Slick work Tommy - I think I’ll copy your mic idea!

I bought the handbrake cable bypass mod off amazon, because you can’t just earth the green wire to bring up the full menus on my headunit and I don’t like the idea of splicing oem wiring.

Check all this wiring I’ve got to work with for the Pioneer AVH-Z9100 and backup camera, there’s more loom already in the dash from the OEM Audio+ system

245353a7a55130ac3f0530449b8cdfa3.jpg