Sign in to follow this  
Nelix

How to utilise rear USB on Head unit.

From information on the  forums I discovered that it is possible to utilise a USB from the rear of the HU rather than using the front. This allows a USB device to be hidden in the glovebox leaving the front of the HU clutter free.

However by doing this you will move the functionality of the USB from the front of the HU to the rear, i.e. the front port will no longer work.

Please note, this is simply how I did this and if you choose to follow this guide you do so at your own risk.

Tools required,
Socket wrench with extension and 10mm socket.
Tool to remove fascia.
Optional, swear words of your choice as Murphy's law will apply.

You will also need a USB audio cable, I bought the one in this link, but ebay may be a quicker supplier.

Picture of both ends of the USB audio cable.
IMG_1071.JPG

First you have to remove the fascia around the stereo,
IMG_1072.JPG

I would recommend a proper fascia removal tool, though I managed with a bit of care and a Swiss army knife.
This piece is held on by 4 clips, one roughly at each corner. Insert your tool of choice (Ooer MissusTongue)  and simply prise sideways and outwards until the clips pop off enough to allow finger access to pull off completely.

Pic of fascia once removed.
IMG_1074.JPG

Once off, this is what you see at either side, there are 2 10mm bolts holding the HU in place.
IMG_1073.JPG

You need to remove the 4 bolts, not the screws, using a 10mm socket on an extension.
Once this is done, the HU will simply pull out with a little wiggling and can be rested on top of the gear knob exposing the connections.
I have the sat nav, so my USB connection is into it, which is the bottom part of the HU. 
You need to remove the current connection which feeds the USB to your front USB port and replace it with the USB audio cable you have purchased.

This is the connector on the right in the picture below, however please note the picture was taken AFTER I had removed the original and plugged in the USB audio cable.

IMG_1077.JPG

There is a connection for the USB into the main part of the HU, but if you have the sat nav installed it appears to override this so you must unplug the connector at the sat nav as plugging it into the main unit will not work.
I assume if you have no sat nav installed, you will simply unplug the USB connector which will be in the main unit and replace it with the USB audio cable.
For neatness I plugged the original cable into my empty port on the main HU, this does not seem to have caused any issues.

Once you have the USB audio cable plugged in, connect it to the device you intend to use and check all is well. Once satisfied, disconnect your device and run the USB audio cable from the back of the HU and into the glove box.
Carefully slide the HU back into place, replace and tighten the four 10mm bolts and then simply click the fascia piece back into place.

You will now be able to connect your device of choice, hidden in the glovebox, to the HU with no unsightly wires or flash drives showing.