Greggo86

EL or UEL - that is the question!

Hi everyone,

Been a very long time since I was on here but a change in lifestyle means I'll be a bit taking a more active interest

After more or less 4 years completely stock my blue baby will be getting a present tomorrow - the TD manifold, remap, and catback treatment (for the time being lol)

Question is - UEL or EL !!! I can't decide. EL sounds great but UEL has that burble right? Mike's been very cool about it but I need to commit in the morning

Views please ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah Gregg so sorry we haven't managed to meet up. Been away at JAE. It's simply a personal preference though EL is technically better. Depends if you want that off beat sound. I always say that Subaru couldn't manage to come up with an EL manifold for the Impreza, maybe it was packaging issues, so we ended up with an UEL manifold.  

What did you go for? 

Honestly I love it - sounds awesome & full of character now. It pulls so well - how have I managed without this for the last four years!

Thoroughly recommended - I can't thank Mike @TD enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If choice is between TD's EL or UEL, not anything else, then my own preferences would be if their EL fixes torque dip like Ace's do or doesn't. I like more EL's high pitched "race eng" sound to UEL burble, but not willing to sacrifice wished performance & character for sound. If their ELs have that dip, i'd probably would go for UEL. No dip and stronger mids fits better to my liking then potential slight gains (vs. UEL) only at very top, which are rarely seen and for short time, both if daily driving at lower rpms and if pushing out max like on track, as soon gear will need to be switched and it's back again mid rpms, even if spooling till redline.

19 minutes ago, Cerec1 said:

I was on the verge of going UEL but wondered what improvement you might achieve just by a remap. Anybody tried this without swapping the exhaust manifold.

thanks 

I had a map and no manifold. You get some gains and smoothing of the torque dip but nothing like you'll get with a manifold and map

Cerec1: imho worth to save money on tuning. I'd get tune with parts i intend to run it longterm. Be it stock header, be it with aftermarket header, be it with forced induction. I'd be too cheap for paying for new retune after each "step".

12 hours ago, Cerec1 said:

I was on the verge of going UEL but wondered what improvement you might achieve just by a remap. Anybody tried this without swapping the exhaust manifold.

thanks 

I did this and like Jeff said you do get some improvement, but nothing like the improvement you'll get by fitting the manifold as well. So it cost me two remaps. In hindsight I'd have been better doing it all in one go. 

I am very tempted to go with one of these tuning developments packages. Are people finding they make a worthwhile difference? all still MOT friendly with just the one CAT?

The torque dip is the one thing that irritates me about the car especially on track as it really does seem to be at the worst part of the rev range at times.

Tempted to go the whole hog with a FI kit but wondering if I should try this as a toe in the water exercise first to see if that fixes my complaints.

I have one. EL of course. As long as you keep one of the cats, i.e., the second one you will be fine for MOT. Yes, it makes a huge difference. I never found a big issue before on track, though having the manifold and remap certainly increases the power band and brings the torque in far, far stronger in the midrange. You can always go for the NA package as the turbo package uses the same manifold so you could add the turbo later.

Thanks Lauren, sounds like what I am after. Good to know it is future proof too. Main thing keeping me away from going straight to FI is it is then a slippery slope of other supporting mods once you start increasing heat etc especially when using it on track.

Just navigated to the Tuning developments section on here and found the big thread also :) Answered a lot of my questions regarding DB readings etc as well. Present to myself in the new year I feel. Was temped by Abbeys ACE setup but this seems a lot more cost effective.

Only time I've noticed it on track is when you avoid dropping a gear for a corner when you'll be near the top of the rev range so stay in 1 gear higher. Rest of the time, you're above the torque dip.

It's immediately noticeable on the road though

1 hour ago, Mike@TD.co.uk said:

@gavin_t - here to assist and answer any questions you may have, feel free to drop me a message or give me a call :)

Mike

Thanks @Mike@TD.co.uk if only I came on this forum on a more regular basis I would have snapped up a black Friday package!

Will be in touch for sure. Might combine my up coming service with one of your packages to treat the old girl ;-)

Thanks Lauren, sounds like what I am after. Good to know it is future proof too. Main thing keeping me away from going straight to FI is it is then a slippery slope of other supporting mods once you start increasing heat etc especially when using it on track.

Just navigated to the Tuning developments section on here and found the big thread also  Answered a lot of my questions regarding DB readings etc as well. Present to myself in the new year I feel. Was temped by Abbeys ACE setup but this seems a lot more cost effective.
I should be able to share "pre" and "post" TD NA tune experience after I do a track day at Bedford in Feb (will be rather subjective and based on limited track experience though).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, VAD17 said:

I should be able to share "pre" and "post" TD NA tune experience after I do a track day at Bedford in Feb (will be rather subjective and based on limited track experience though).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That would be ideal for me as I am a relatively casual track driver too :-)