Collateral

NA Stage 1 power upgrade ...

Afternoon guys and girls. 

I was having a think last night and started to ponder whether it would be possible and cost effective to upgrade an NA engine for power gains, like a stage 1 upgrade ...

My thoughts are, to get more power you need more air, more fuel and a better spark, so could you potentially upgrade the following parts to gain considerable (maybe 50BHP) power...

I was thinking;

- Full Manifold back exhaust

- UEL header

- Some sort of better air intake (not sure on this one, without a turbo how could we improve the air ?)

- Upgraded fuel pump

- Upgraded, bigger fuel injectors 

- Some sort of Air/Fuel regulator / Piggy back ECU? 

- Better gapped spark plugs

- A different Thermostat?

Could the above actually be worth the investment, am I missing anything?

I wanted to get a conversation going, and ask if anyone has actually tried to gain more BHP on a NA engine, with more than just filter, exhaust, remap e.t.c 

50 bhp na is never going to happen without cams, throttle bodies, etc costing shed loads.

Best option is a map, a drop in filter and a manifold. If you want more than that gives FI is the way to go.

That level of investment you'd get more reliable power going with a basic FI setup. It's possible to get a boost of 40bhp in the midrange with modifications but not peak power.

Manifold, tune, HKS/Cosworth filter (both in stock), get rid of your torque dip and it'll feel better. Everything else would be a waste of money IMO. 

I'm going to get intake spacers, bigger throttle body, massive air induction system, and even then I think it won't be worth the money, but someone has to find out and record the "gains":D 

well my suggestion is spend a bit less than 5K an go FI.  Those cossie kits are 20% of so something like 4700 from part box. Rob is selling his charger for around 2300. And TD turbo is less than 5K all inclusive.

Id say you might be able to make the NA +50bhps but you will spend hell a lot more than FI?

2 minutes ago, zhuonanli said:

well my suggestion is spend a bit less than 5K an go FI.  Those cossie kits are 20% of so something like 4700 from part box. Rob is selling his charger for around 2300. And TD turbo is less than 5K all inclusive.

Id say you might be able to make the NA +50bhps but you will spend hell a lot more than FI?

@Collateral HKS V2 Supercharger is £3510 for yous

- Full Manifold back exhaust - Tick

- UEL header - Tick

- Some sort of better air intake (not sure on this one, without a turbo how could we improve the air ?) - No point, change the air filter

- Upgraded fuel pump - No - Both sets of injectors are not fuel limited

- Upgraded, bigger fuel injectors - No - See above

- Some sort of Air/Fuel regulator / Piggy back ECU? - Remap - Tick

- Better gapped spark plugs - OEM spark plugs are fine for NA and mild FI

- A different Thermostat? - Debatable

Here's what you do - get TD manifold, k&n filter and tune, and an exhaust for the noise if you fancy...

On my car that only gained somewhere in region of 15-20bhp, but you'd never know it to drive it. The extra mid range torque makes it much pokier. I still have the stock second cat too.

Everyone else's manifold and tune achieves similar - it seems to be losing the cat wot does it.

The beauty of the TD set up, is its part way to the turbo kit if you go for that later. And realistically FI is what you need eventually if you want unstressed 250bhp+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My current setup progress so far is secondary decat, air filter and exhaust.

Parts on the shelf for future fitment include a set of Crawford power blocks which I'll fit with an uprated manifold - probably the HKS catted one (UEL or EL still to be decided) and then a re-map at TD.