VAD17

1st track day

Ok, so time to plan 1st track day.

What are people recommendations close to London?

I dont want to start with Brands Hatch as it was scary busy when I was there last time.

Goodwood and Castle Combe probably too technical for an inexperienced driver like me.

Silly or Bedford? Both just under 2hrs drive from home so doable as a day trip.

And what are peoples view of MVS track academy? Worth for a whole day or better to book couple 20 mins tuition sessions instead?

And finally, am I correct to assume I should be fine with fully stock car for first couple of track days before primacies wear out and brake pads and fluid need an upgrade (not planning to go for fast laps, building confidence and consistency more important to start with)?

Many thanks

Vadim

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bedford is a good first track day as lots of run off, while learning etc MSV days there also good as they sell a few less places than the others that use the track (lotus on track also good via the club members section on here also worth a look). Stock car will be fine other than check you have good amount of brake pads left and the brake fluid isn't too old (not done on every service), as you can over heat brakes fairly easily, everything else should be fine to start with. 

If you can't afford to put it right out of your own pocket, should the worst happen, consider track insurance. Some will say it's a waste of money or for soft lads, but for not much more than £100 the piece of mind may help you relax and enjoy the day more. Enjoy!

Would agree with above now, Morris are offering track cover again it's more like £60ish for a day (12k value, UK track), Personally I insure my car. Worth noting if car is on PCP you don't legally have a choice, have to be covered. Although chances of an accident on track are in theory small, members of this forum have proved they do happen.

1 hour ago, VAD17 said:

And finally, am I correct to assume I should be fine with fully stock car for first couple of track days before primacies wear out and brake pads and fluid need an upgrade (not planning to go for fast laps, building confidence and consistency more important to start with)?

There isn't a man alive that's seen a set of Primacies wear out.  After two track days and a day at Millbrook with @CATDT (CAT Driver Training) mine still look like new...  I'm still on stock pads and fluid too, but will soon be replacing both with something a bit more tolerant of higher temperatures.

Speaking of CAT, if you haven't done any track time before then it's well worth booking yourself on one of their courses.  By the time you pay for a track day and some insurance, you're easily halfway to the cost of a day with CAT, and the skills that you'll learn with them will let you get the most out of any track days in future.

Brands was my first and it was great  which i would really recommend. I did an evening session 5 till 8pm. They do 3 sighting laps before the session opens to allow you to gain confidence. I was lapped by everything to start with so I checked the mirrors, indicated to the left and let them pass with no drama. 

Goodwood would worry me as it's very fast with grass and little run off but I imagine you'd be fine but run at you own pass regardless, take regular breaks for you and the car and keep an eye on your mirrors.

I would have said consider the club track days with LoT they tend to be a lot quieter and are very welcoming to newbies. That and their driving ettiquette is fantastic. 

However there's only one left this year and brands was yesterday which would have been perfect.

If you're unsure of being on track with others, I'd recommend novice days that MSV do. They'll be in 20min sessions and everyone will go out for the 20 minutes, so hang back at the start and you'll end up with the track to yourself effectively.

Thanks guys, appreciate your advice.

I just did 2 days with Colin at CAT (split with work buddy who is a fairly experienced on track), which gave me enough confidence to look forward to my first track day. And I am going again in 2 weeks with this club crew😁.

I am keen on Silverstone (with Colin again), but think i may gain even more if I do may be a day before either on a novice day (thanks for heads up @bassett) or with track academy.

Consider Blyton Park. Bit more of a drive, but London isn't blessed with amazing tracks nearby. Blyton Park is far more interesting than the rather boring Silverstone National. Whilst Silverstone is good fun to race on due to the width, as a track day, I really wouldn't bother. 

Consider booking in a good two or three sessions of instruction, get all the basics right like steering and throttle. Stuff like this makes a big difference. 

Stock car is just fine. Enjoy it and have fun. :) 

Would agree with above now, Morris are offering track cover again it's more like £60ish for a day (12k value, UK track), Personally I insure my car. Worth noting if car is on PCP you don't legally have a choice, have to be covered. Although chances of an accident on track are in theory small, members of this forum have proved they do happen.

I was quoted £315 for 2 days (with 2,5k excess, but I have brand new car). % wise its steep considering excess, but then I insure even my skis🤣. My current insurance for 2 cars runs out in October so I will do some comparing aiming for (say) 5 track days a year. But frankly with rates like I wad quoted I see why people take the risk of write a write off (and another reason why I am so glad GT86 is a reasonably priced car).

1 hour ago, VAD17 said:

I was quoted £315 for 2 days (with 2,5k excess, but I have brand new car). % wise its steep considering excess, but then I insure even my skis🤣. My current insurance for 2 cars runs out in October so I will do some comparing aiming for (say) 5 track days a year. But frankly with rates like I wad quoted I see why people take the risk of write a write off (and another reason why I am so glad GT86 is a reasonably priced car).

Don't forget that you don't need to cover the whole cost of the car. As the excess is so large you could insure for £5-10k less as the likely hood of doing £25k of damage (I assume by the excess) is unlikely unless you roll and total the car in a fireball. It will also make the excess smaller. Think of it this way, a front or rear end shunt is unlikely to ever cost over £15k to repair. A cosmetic shunt is probably only going to run up to £10k worth of repairs at the worst.

Consider Blyton Park. Bit more of a drive, but London isn't blessed with amazing tracks nearby. Blyton Park is far more interesting than the rather boring Silverstone National. Whilst Silverstone is good fun to race on due to the width, as a track day, I really wouldn't bother. 

Consider booking in a good two or three sessions of instruction, get all the basics right like steering and throttle. Stuff like this makes a big difference. 

Stock car is just fine. Enjoy it and have fun.  

Thanks. Has been recommended by several people. But its 3.5 hrs each way 😣. May be when my family is ready for a weekend trip (and the little one wants to see more "lacing cals"😁).

1 hour ago, VAD17 said: I was quoted £315 for 2 days (with 2,5k excess, but I have brand new car). % wise its steep considering excess, but then I insure even my skis🤣. My current insurance for 2 cars runs out in October so I will do some comparing aiming for (say) 5 track days a year. But frankly with rates like I wad quoted I see why people take the risk of write a write off (and another reason why I am so glad GT86 is a reasonably priced car).

Don't forget that you don't need to cover the whole cost of the car. As the excess is so large you could insure for £5-10k less as the likely hood of doing £25k of damage (I assume by the excess) is unlikely unless you roll and total the car in a fireball. It will also make the excess smaller. Think of it this way, a front or rear end shunt is unlikely to ever cost over £15k to repair. A cosmetic shunt is probably only going to run up to £10k worth of repairs at the worst.

Thanks, why haven't I thought of it this way before...

Decided to start with Bedford on Sep 23rd. Booked and cant wait now 😀. If anyone else planning to be there on 23rd give me a shout.

4 minutes ago, VAD17 said:

Decided to start with Bedford on Sep 23rd. Booked and cant wait now 😀. If anyone else planning to be there on 23rd give me a shout.

Bedford's loads of fun imho and not much to worry about hitting!

4 minutes ago, VAD17 said: Decided to start with Bedford on Sep 23rd. Booked and cant wait now 😀. If anyone else planning to be there on 23rd give me a shout.

That was my thinking 😁. Cheers

23 hours ago, Deacon said:

It's also big enough that you don't feel like you're in traffic much of the time.

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

It's also big enough that you don't feel like you're in traffic much of the time.

This. Got told last year on the way out that they were pretty much at the limit of cars and I couldn't tell once I was out!

Vad, you could also consider Car Limits days at North Weald Aerodrome. Very close (M11), very cheap and very safe.

Spec K

Thank you

Great first track day at Bedford.

Started slow. Quite a lot of cars (eager drivers) in the first session, but them I was pretty much the slowest on track to start with.

Took me nearly till the lunch to learn the track, corners and lines (well, nearly). Very pleased with my instructor (Steve Mansell) - started with quite a lot of info and detailed instructions and progressively concentrating on mistakes and where most noticeable improvements can be made.

Then progressed to more spirited driving in the afternoon, enjoyed a very good few laps on my own (even managed not to be s cared to overtake little Clios).

Last session spoiled a bit by some inconsiderate idiots trying to squeeze in last few laps and overtaking on both sides, and into corners 🤢.

Need to start planning next track day. Oh, and my brakes started to squeak , and 2 small chips on the front glass

Great first track day at Bedford.

Started slow. Quite a lot of cars (eager drivers) in the first session, but them I was pretty much the slowest on track to start with.

Took me nearly till the lunch to learn the track, corners and lines (well, nearly). Very pleased with my instructor (Steve Mansell) - started with quite a lot of info and detailed instructions and progressively concentrating on mistakes and where most noticeable improvements can be made.

Then progressed to more spirited driving in the afternoon, enjoyed a very good few laps on my own (even managed not to be s cared to overtake little Clios).

Last session spoiled a bit by some inconsiderate idiots trying to squeeze in last few laps and overtaking on both sides, and into corners 🤢.

Need to start planning next track day. Oh, and my brakes started to squeak , and 2 small chips on the front glass

Glad you enjoyed it, no point having cars like ours and not use them to their full potential and you can't really do that on the road. 

I've thought about Bedford too as it's not that far compared to others. I stick with sprinting for now, but quite a few of them are just to far.