Sign in to follow this  
Leeky

How to mirror your iphone onto the GT86 screen

Wanna mirror your iphone onto the standard Toyota TAS300 screen so that you can use Google Map Navigation, stream movies/tv etc?

Yes? Excellent, you're in the right place :) Here is a pic I took earlier today.

ppdG9In.jpg

First things first. I accept no responsibility for damage you do to your stereo or vehicle in any way. This is simply a basic description of how I accomplished it but you may want to tweak here and there. If you do this, then you do it at your own risk.

Firstly, mirroring the screen is pretty easy. But getting the touchscreen to control your iphone is another level. I wont be going into that as its not something im bothered about. If im using the navigation on my phone for example, then I just punch in my destination before I set off.

Ok so first up these are the things I needed to do this -

Apple Lightning Digital AV Adaptor

Apple Lightning to USB cable (the one that comes with the phone is fine)

Twin USB 12v Car Cigarette Socket Charging Adaptor

Male to Male HDMI cable

HDMI to AV converter

Male to Male composite AV Cable (Yellow, Red & White) length dependent on where you want the phone to live i.e. Glovebox or armrest etc

Car Solutions Video Input Adaptor (https://car-solutions.com/en/video-cable-for-toyota-touch-2-entune-monitors.php)

10mm Deep Socket

Approx 5mm wide Flat Head Screwdriver

Hand Towel

Small Crimpable Female spade terminal

Crimpable ring terminal with an inner diameter of at least 5mm

approx 10 inches of electrical cable.

Next Up.... how it all goes together...

5 hours ago, GT86-Ian said:

What do you mean? Thats exactly where I have posted it...

Anyway, moving into how the cables all go together.

1) Starting with the 12v cig adaptor. The 'lightning to usb' cable goes to power the Lightning Digital AV adaptor. And power for the 'HDMI to AV' adaptor goes via the other powered USB connector.

2) Composite AV cable goes from the 'HDMI to AV' adaptor to the 'Car Solutions Video Input Adapter'. On the latter the SPD cable must be disconnected otherwide the stereo kills the video output as it knows you are moving.

3) I used the flat head screwdriver to pop out the stereo surround and then the 10mm deep socket to undo the four bolts that hold the stereo in. I wrapped the hand towel around the stereo to stop the sharp edges of the stereo bracket from scratching my interior.

4) On the back of the stereo there are multiple connectors. The ones of interest are the two top ones. The wider of the two (28-pin) is the one that needs to be disconnect so that I can attach the 'car solutions' cable inbetween.

5) The smaller 16-pin connector next to it is the one that has the earth cable to the handbrake. This needs to be permanently earthed so the stereo thinks the car is parked. Multiple ways this can be done but the way I did it was to simply disconnect the existing cable and then crimped a new cable with the female spade adaptor at one end and the ring terminal on the other. I put electrical tape around the female connector to make sure it cant connect with the other pins as they are very tight in there. I bridged that pin (third from top left if you look at the stereo from behind) and ran the wire to one of the two lower stereo mounting bolts to earth it. The top two are not earthed.

And thats basicly it. I routed the cables through to the glovebox where there is a 12v socket in the top corner.

I just plug in my iphone SE and start the car. I then go to 'sources' on the stereo and choose AV. I use the option of 'Wide2' which filled the screen the best.

Hope this helps anyone else trying to do the same thing.

My next plan is to use a vgate icar2 wifi OBD2 adaptor to display gauges on the stereo using the Accurate app. This will be useful on trackdays to monitor water and oil temps.