randall0780

Invidia N1 - legal

Hi all,

Im looking to get a new exhaust on the gt86 and have seen the invidia N1. First of all any reason why I shouldn't get this? Secondly is this exhaust road legal? (MOT pass?)

Thanks

Jamie

13 minutes ago, randall0780 said:

Hi all,

Im looking to get a new exhaust on the gt86 and have seen the invidia N1. First of all any reason why I shouldn't get this? Secondly is this exhaust road legal? (MOT pass?)

Thanks

Jamie

There is no reason a cat back exhaust (which the N1 is) will fail an MOT. The only reason you would fail an MOT due to changing an exhaust is if you took both the cat's out. 

In shorter words yes this is road legal & yes you will pass an MOT :) 

If it doesn't touch the cats (stock ones in place), solid construction and not fouling anything on the car then it shouldn't be an issue getting through an MOT. There is no requirement for noise but if you get a tester having a really bad day they might comment on it.

57 minutes ago, Nemo said:

I have the Invidia N1 - awesome sound, quite loud and can drone a bit on motorway (manageable though).  Will pass MOT if you keep stock header and front pipe.

Will this annoy my neighbours on cold start. I know the gt86 has a high Rev for cold start?

If you keep the rest stock it shouldn't be awful, BUT if it does annoy you you could have it mapped out by Fensport/TD/Abbey etc.

15 minutes ago, randall0780 said:

Will this annoy my neighbours on cold start. I know the gt86 has a high Rev for cold start?

Most likely, it is on the loud side for sure, one of the loudest catbacks available, there are tons of Youtube videos of the N1, its a popular exhaust.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

If it's louder than the stock exhaust, it's technically not legal.

Ay?

57 minutes ago, Nemo said: I have the Invidia N1 - awesome sound, quite loud and can drone a bit on motorway (manageable though).  Will pass MOT if you keep stock header and front pipe.

Its a 'deep' loud sound on cold start. If you ever change the headers with an N1 installed, definitely get the cold start mapped out as it becomes almost embarrassingly loud....

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

There's a regulation akin to "car should not be louder than it was originally", but it's hard to enforce due to the effort it takes to get a reference point. You have to really make them want to do you for it. To attract the ire of the law you're probably running a decat which is itself unfit for road use.

The cold start is loud because of valve timings to increase oxygen flow to the catalyst. My old car had an air pump that fed into the exhaust manifold because you can't move the valves on a rotary.

The moment you change any part of the exhaust to make the car louder it's technically "illegal".

This really is one of those situations where you can comfortably say "fuck da police" and just do whatever you want. If @Ztox exhaust doesn't get him pulled, the rest of us are in no danger.

14 minutes ago, randall0780 said:

Probably a stupid question, but could I make it legally louder without changing the back end of the exhaust

Yes - change the manifold or remove the second cat pipe. They'll add some volume (although generally not a huge amount)

1 hour ago, Paul said:

The moment you change any part of the exhaust to make the car louder it's technically "illegal".

This really is one of those situations where you can comfortably say "fuck da police" and just do whatever you want. If @Ztox exhaust doesn't get him pulled, the rest of us are in no danger.

You know, I still haven't heard @Ztox exhaust yet. 

6 minutes ago, Tareim said:

no, he has the Tomei 80r (iirc)

Tomei UEL, Tomei OP, decat front pipe, Tomei 80 Titanium (single exit).

It's loud as fook, and gives headaches to anyone who follows him to a meet.

10 minutes ago, Paul said:

Tomei UEL, Tomei OP, decat front pipe, Tomei 80 Titanium (single exit).

It's loud as fook, and gives headaches to anyone who follows him to a meet.

After coming back from Donnington with him I totally agree