Stutopia

Interior "Clunk" Over Crests

I get a semi regular clunk, it feels like from the back left corner when going over any kind of crest. It doesn't sound like a suspension, drop link, failed Bush kind of noise, more internal, like the boot liner or parcel shelf just "hopped up" as the car crested. I've Velcro'd the boot liner down, so I don't believe that's it. I thought it might be rear seat belts moving around but they're tucked in.

Anyone else had this, or even fixed it?

Ta, Stu

I am familiar with the clunk, but I've not heard it for a while - not sure if that's because of my attempts to quieten the car or just ambient temperature.

To my ears it sounds like the inertial lock on the rear seatbelt mechanism, but it could also be the hooks holding the seat in the upright position shifting around. The parcel shelf/loose wiring and boxes inside make lighter ticking sounds...

I have a bit of this, same rear left corner. Initially I thought it was the shock knocking so I had Toyota take a look. They found it was play in the rear seat latch mechanism but couldn't adjust it.

Try dropping the seats and see if it goes away.

maurice: Shorterm fix - apply some tape over rear seat latches. Short - because after few folding/closing, locking gear will cut through tape. Maybe some velcro will be more long lived? Some had success remounting/adjusting a bit locking mechanism. Google for subaru rear seat latch rattle on ideas.

Stutopia: what year your car is? For early year made ones IIRC rear trunk door had some noises, where metal sheets making it up at some places made noises. IIRC fix was something about spraying at some places WD40 .. don't recall specifics and too lazy to google now :) Also by chance do you happen to have aftermarket brakelight at top of the window? Some of those have tendency to unstick from doublesided tape used to mount it and make noise due that.

If velcro didn't help, maybe it's something else as rattle noise then seat locking mechanism (btw, which can rattle also if seat isn't closed completely. possible case with extra material on the latches)?

BTW, worth checking stock brake light too, if it doesn't rattle against window.

I had a crawl around the backseats this afternoon and tried wiggling the seat backs, bases and belts, nothing seems to move without a good deal of force. I'll recheck the boot and HLBL next. I wouldn't mind so much but there's a bloody crest near me which I go over nearly every time I take the car out.

I know of this problem I have experienced it with my own vehicle your dealership should know all about it. It is the bulkhead  behind the back seats. In each corner two pieces of metal overlap resulting in a sharp click.  I took it to the dealership thinking it was a cable loose somewhere in the boot.  The engineer informed me what the problem was and the remedy which was to pack the metal with grease.  This they did and have had no problems since.  The time in garage was about 20 mins.

my 86 is 3 years old and I presume it was the earlier models which had this minor problem.

Good Luck