cropzy

Toyota GT86 Grimmspeed License Plate Relocation Kit

Depends on how obvious it is and a bit of luck. I ran no front plate on my 200SX for 18months and never got tugged for it

I wedged my plate on the dash of my golf and got pulled within 4 days. :lol:

I had a square plate in my windscreen on my BRZ for 6 months and my daily commute would take me right past the police HQ, seen so many police cars pass me and look directly at my car but never did anything about it so it really does come down to the individual copper and if they can be bothered to stop you about it

if you do opt for placing it in the windscreen just make sure all of the characters are visible and not obscured by the wipers or anything else and you might also get away with

So now it's literally down to luck and if you get pulled it depends on what type of person pulls you and how nice they are.

Would you guys say it's worth the risk?

I do like the look of the JDM style plate relocation. It think it suits the 86 better.

I wouldn't opt for the windscreen solution - it's a massive eyesore for the boys in blue.

I too sport such plate holder (Ordered from tarmac), never ever have I had any problems - it's legally placed and the 12x6 letter sizing is not enough to make anyone stop with a ruler to stick a fine at me. You're much more likely to get pulled over if you obscure what the plate should read with screws and funky fonts.

20170417_134315.jpg

1 hour ago, cropzy said:

So now it's literally down to luck and if you get pulled it depends on what type of person pulls you and how nice they are.

I do like the look of the JDM style plate relocation. It think it suits the 86 better.

it's entirely up to you but you can always keep the proper spec plate in the car and then if they do stop you the 1st time then just see if you can stick the 100% legal plate on before any fine etc.

I wouldn't opt for the windscreen solution - it's a massive eyesore for the boys in blue.

I too sport such plate holder (Ordered from tarmac), never ever have I had any problems - it's legally placed and the 12x6 letter sizing is not enough to make anyone stop with a ruler to stick a fine at me. You're much more likely to get pulled over if you obscure what the plate should read with screws and funky fonts.

20170417_134315.thumb.jpg.5f462399e57bcea7506b63e8ce288eec.jpg

When fitting this is there any holes left in the bumper from the old plate holder?

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, sam534 said:

When fitting this is there any holes left in the bumper from the old plate holder?

yes there will be (not a great angle but best I could find)

post-460-0-50066500-1428060114.jpg

11 minutes ago, sam534 said: When fitting this is there any holes left in the bumper from the old plate holder?

yes there will be (not a great angle but best I could find)

post-460-0-50066500-1428060114.jpg

Oh right I see! Thanks

1 hour ago, cropzy said:

A relocated plate is legal, provided the plate itself is legal. As long as the plate is on the front of the car, vertical and clearly visible, there's no restriction on where it is.

Windscreen plates fail on pretty much all those points.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

A relocated plate is legal, provided the plate itself is legal. As long as the plate is on the front of the car, vertical and clearly visible, there's no restriction on where it is.

Windscreen plates fail on pretty much all those points.

I've looked through laws on plate and couldn't find anything that stated that it had to be on the front of the car, just mounted as vertical as possible and clearly visible which does allow for it to be mounted in the windscreen (just a bit grey area of the law there but most will probably disagree)

From here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/561/pdfs/uksi_20010561_en.pdf

Except as provided in paragraph (5), a registration plate must be fixed on the front of the vehicle in the manner required by paragraph (3).

Definitely says front. I think windscreen would probably fall afoul of the visibility requirement anyway, and definitely isn't as vertical as possible.

4 hours ago, Rich said:

From here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/561/pdfs/uksi_20010561_en.pdf

Except as provided in paragraph (5), a registration plate must be fixed on the front of the vehicle in the manner required by paragraph (3).

Definitely says front. I think windscreen would probably fall afoul of the visibility requirement anyway, and definitely isn't as vertical as possible.

I must've missed that bit then :/ genuinely haven't seen that line