cropzy

Toyota GT86 Grimmspeed License Plate Relocation Kit

So what you are saying is "it is illegal".

Interesting. If it's illegal then it's a no no. I figure that import cars have the square plates (mainly because they cannot have the full size ones due to the body limitations as Japanese etc).

Surely if they are legal this should be? As long as the plate is visible and can be seen by cameras and the authorities it counts?

14 hours ago, rob275 said:

Is there not enough border for a 12x6 plate to be legal or something?

You can't fit legally sized letters on a 12x6, regardless of borders, since the letters themselves are 6.2" high,

The minimum legal plate height is 199 mm (7.8"):

79 mm letter height x2 = 158 mm
11 mm border top and bottom = 22 mm
19 mm spacing between rows of characters = 19 mm.

Total is 158 + 22 + 19 = 199 mm.

I suspect most import plates are printed with bike plate sized letters, which you can probably get away with. The reduces character height to 64 mm and the spacing to 13 mm, meaning the minimum plate size is 163 mm (6.4"). With a bit of bodging of borders you can get it down to 6".

You'd be able to get away with it at the front, if you have a private reg. with max. 5 characters. They don't care that much about the front, rear is worse as they have to be the right size for the cameras to read it properly. 

I have one of these.

I have a 13x7 plate on the front, with perfectly legal lettering etc (at least I've driven past police who haven't batted an eyelid).

A 12x6 plate leaves a bit of the backing plate showing, hence why I wanted another inch all round.

It's not to everyone's taste and it IS more hassle to put it on/take it off but I like it.

4 minutes ago, Paul said:

I have one of these.

I have a 13x7 plate on the front, with perfectly legal lettering etc (at least I've driven past police who haven't batted an eyelid).

A 12x6 plate leaves a bit of the backing plate showing, hence why I wanted another inch all round.

It's not to everyone's taste and it IS more hassle to put it on/take it off but I like it.

Can i see a pic? From a distance please. 

1 hour ago, Paul said:

I have one of these.

I wouldn't say it's "perfectly legal" but you're very unlikely to get any attention from the police as long as the letters are the correct font and close to the correct size.

If you meet an arsey copper or have a picky MOT man, they could fail you on incorrect plates though.

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

I wouldn't say it's "perfectly legal" but you're very unlikely to get any attention from the police as long as the letters are the correct font and close to the correct size.

If you meet an arsey copper or have a picky MOT man, they could fail you on incorrect plates though.

What about Evo's and similar things which have a square plate as standard, they still pass Mot's?

51 minutes ago, Minion said:

What about Evo's and similar things which have a square plate as standard, they still pass Mot's?

Oh the people who have the plates in their window on the dash.

55 minutes ago, Minion said:

Square plates are legal, it's smaller square plates that aren't. 11x8 is completely legal on any car.

Plates in the window is definitely not legal, they're just asking to get pulled over. Thing is they just pay the fine and carry on mostly.

3 minutes ago, cropzy said:

Oh the people who have the plates in their window on the dash.

Legal plate behind the window is just a warning, they cant give you a fine for something that could've happened 5m ago down the road

1 hour ago, Lucas@PartBox said:

Very nice! Where is that lip from? 

It's the one Fensport sell. I bought one from another vendor and it didn't fit, this was a replacement. I'd recommend the Fensport one.

17 hours ago, Lucas@PartBox said:

Legal plate behind the window is just a warning, they cant give you a fine for something that could've happened 5m ago down the road

They can and do fine people for it. Also, they'll make a note of your reg, so while you're more likely to get away with the first instance, the second or third time that it "just fell off" is going to see you with a fine or court date.

The current fixed penalty is £100 and no points, fine in court is up to £1000. It also applies to things like a dirty plate that cannot be read.

Realistically, as long as the ANPR cameras can read your plate, the police aren't going to care a jot (hence a 12x6 will generally be fine).

14 minutes ago, Rich said:

They can and do fine people for it. Also, they'll make a note of your reg, so while you're more likely to get away with the first instance, the second or third time that it "just fell off" is going to see you with a fine or court date.

The current fixed penalty is £100 and no points, fine in court is up to £1000. It also applies to things like a dirty plate that cannot be read.

Realistically, as long as the ANPR cameras can read your plate, the police aren't going to care a jot (hence a 12x6 will generally be fine).

Yeah true, if they catch you the second time, That's it. Game over. 

And yet people drive around with plates in the windscreen for years with no problems. I think it's just a police-discretion thing.