Hi owners!

That dreaded moment when the air con stops working and its 27 degrees outside!

My local dealership is quoting me £450 to re-gas with the HFO-1234yf gas … seems outrageous!! They say they don’t have the new type of machine on site to do it and would have to bring it a contractor capable of doing the work.

I am finding it impossible to find somewhere locally (I’m based in Worcester) that has the machine to do it. Anyone out there aware of any garages that can do it?

Thanks! :-)

@GT86_Girl  I don't know how far you want to travel, but there is a garage/shop near us that do this. I don't have any first hand experience, but from what people from work are saying & the reviews, it's alright, and air-con top ups are being advertised for £24.99

Air Con & Heater Shop 
4.5/5 Rating
Air conditioning contractor in Tipton, England
Address: Unit 3 Business Park Hansteen, Imex Auto Centre, Tipton DY4 7RQ
Hours: Open today · 9am–5pm

So I am having this same issue at the moment and just got of the phone with the local dealer. I thought after reading it somewhere, I would be able to get them to check the leak and re gas it as well and they would be none the wiser, didn't work. They have basically said to me that if they need to check for the leak, they need to re gas it, if there is a leak it would be covered under warranty, if not it would be around £250 for the re gas.

Now I am not really sure of my next move. Any dealers that can advise?

Mine has simply run out of gas... car is 4 1/2 years old now :-(

I spoke to Toyota GB this morning and they were less than helpful ... basically said it was tough luck.

Just now, GT86_Girl said:

I spoke to Toyota GB this morning and they were less than helpful ... basically said it was tough luck.

That may be the case with mine, but I had heard that is not really supposed to happen with the expensive gas

3 minutes ago, Ulphy86 said:

That may be the case with mine, but I had heard that is not really supposed to happen with the expensive gas

Oh really - is it supposed to last much longer then...?

Its just annoying that some cars were made with the cheap stuff. I have been looking to replacing the various parts to put it back to the cheap gas, but the toyota parts list system is awful, and a lot of the dealers dont know that cars between 2014 and 2015 ran the cheap stuff.

It looks to me you to swap it out you need 3 bits of aluminium piping at £60 a pop and maybe a new aircon compressor at around £500. Although my car has a sticker on the aircon pump that lists both gasses.

With the cost of a service for the new stuff down to £99, it doesn't seem worth the cost to convert it any more. Even at higher prices, the replacement compressor made it marginal.

58 minutes ago, GT86_Girl said:

I have 8 year old cars and aircon has been fine my 86 is one of the oldest here and over 5 years old it's like

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Ulphy86 said:

So I am having this same issue at the moment and just got of the phone with the local dealer. I thought after reading it somewhere, I would be able to get them to check the leak and re gas it as well and they would be none the wiser, didn't work. They have basically said to me that if they need to check for the leak, they need to re gas it, if there is a leak it would be covered under warranty, if not it would be around £250 for the re gas.

Now I am not really sure of my next move. Any dealers that can advise?

Not round our way there isnt😡

Mine is not working, it's into RRG end of August for a service and MOT so I trust them to do what is needed and decide what bit is warranty etc...

37 minutes ago, nikndel said:

Not round our way there isnt😡

Hmm, I thought now. I mean it is a gamble to just say to Toyota do it and they will pay if it is a leak :s

I am up in Harrogate this weekend, is it just RRG Mac or any of the RRG garages?

2 minutes ago, Ulphy86 said:

Hmm, I thought now. I mean it is a gamble to just say to Toyota do it and they will pay if it is a leak :s

I am up in Harrogate this weekend, is it just RRG Mac or any of the RRG garages?

If it's low on gas and say your rad had been damaged no warranty on that if it was a component failure possibly covered but as I have found with warranty it's pretty much suck it and see 

1 hour ago, GT86_Girl said:

Oh really - is it supposed to last much longer then...?

To be fair though, it does seem to be cheaper if you shop around, so might be worth a look

Just now, Ulphy86 said:

Mmm, to be fair I have been lucky up till now with warranty stuff at Rayleigh Toyota so maybe it's just bad luck lol

Rayleigh? You have been lucky can't print what I think of them