cropzy

Number of TRD's in colours

I have been trying to find out how many TRD's exist in what colours but google has been fruitless for me. I understand that first initial run of TRD's had 250 units and thats it. Which was in white or black IIRC. However mine is a 14 plate red (upon further research apparently the red TRD is very rare?).

Does anyone know the official stats and if there is a way to tell what number TRD you own if you own a TRD?

Any help is appreciated!

From Toyota's own blog:

Just 250 examples of the GT86 TRD will be available, each equipped with design and performance features from TRD (Toyota Racing Development), one of the world’s most accomplished and successful after market engineering businesses.

On sale from March 1st, the GT86 TRD will be available with either a six-speed manual or automatic gearbox and in a choice of two colours: Pearl White and GT86 Black. On the road prices are £31,495 for the manual and £32,995 for the auto.

The TRD equipment package includes 18-inch cast TF6 alloys, deep front and side skirts, a rear bumper spoiler and a fast-response quad-exhaust system with a rear diffuser to increase stability. A TRD-branded radiator cap and fuel filler cover are also included, as well as a new TRD gear shift lever.

Does yours have all the bits listed in the 3rd paragraph? I would guess it's not an official TRD car but a red standard model with the kit added.

8 hours ago, Kaisersalsek said:

Have a search of a user called "Smogz" (on the other forum shhh) - you might have his car, if so, it was owned by RMB Toyota, and may well be the only red official trd in existence in the UK!

I will do some hunting later this is very interesting news!

7 hours ago, knightryder said:

From Toyota's own blog:

Just 250 examples of the GT86 TRD will be available, each equipped with design and performance features from TRD (Toyota Racing Development), one of the world’s most accomplished and successful after market engineering businesses.

On sale from March 1st, the GT86 TRD will be available with either a six-speed manual or automatic gearbox and in a choice of two colours: Pearl White and GT86 Black. On the road prices are £31,495 for the manual and £32,995 for the auto.

The TRD equipment package includes 18-inch cast TF6 alloys, deep front and side skirts, a rear bumper spoiler and a fast-response quad-exhaust system with a rear diffuser to increase stability. A TRD-branded radiator cap and fuel filler cover are also included, as well as a new TRD gear shift lever.

Does yours have all the bits listed in the 3rd paragraph? I would guess it's not an official TRD car but a red standard model with the kit added.

Yes it has all the bits listed. On the V5 from new it is listed as a TRD and tax and insurance pick it up as a TRD in red as well. On the original receipt from factory it says it is a red TRD as well. I have tried l looking for a TRD production number on the car but I cannot find it. I have yet to look in the manual but I can 100% confirm it is a TRD and not a GT86 with the TRD kit.

It is a 14 plate if that helps as well. It just seems info on these is very rare and hard to find and I would like to know more about my car etc.

Would there be anywhere in my manual to list what number it is in the production or to say it is a special 1 off? It has never been modified since it left the factory and is still stock.

13 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I thought all the TRD bodykit and stuff was added in the UK rather than a factory build?

It is, it's a Toyoto UK build and all additions added here. I would assume that the dealer can register the car however they like so if they've added all the bits then it can "be a TRD" on the V5. There appears to be no mention of Numbering or plaque on any of the articles and the fact that it likely enters the UK as a standard car I would assume that the VIN is not specific either,

7 hours ago, knightryder said:

It is, it's a Toyoto UK build and all additions added here. I would assume that the dealer can register the car however they like so if they've added all the bits then it can "be a TRD" on the V5. There appears to be no mention of Numbering or plaque on any of the articles and the fact that it likely enters the UK as a standard car I would assume that the VIN is not specific either,

The VIN is specific to them being TRDs (mine is) but not to the number (as far as I know). Wonder what happened to the others? I saw something about them being "sold out" but as you say Lauren, not many registered here.

3 hours ago, Kaisersalsek said:

The VIN is specific to them being TRDs (mine is) but not to the number (as far as I know). Wonder what happened to the others? I saw something about them being "sold out" but as you say Lauren, not many registered here.

How can I tell which part of the VIN is specific to the TRD part?

3 hours ago, cropzy said:

How can I tell which part of the VIN is specific to the TRD part?

Just had another look - the VIN isn't TRD specific, but there should be another "plate" in the car (Richard from RRG posted about this on the "other" forum back in 2013). Last 6 digits of the VIN (I think) are your car's production number

IMG_1934.JPG

I'll take a look at my VIN number and see then.

EDIT - 

Looked at VIN. It does state that it is a GT86 TRD in red. I found this useful info from another site:

"First 3 digits is the World Manufacturer Identifier. This tells us where and by which manufacturer the car is built. For us, this will be "JFx" (x being a number). JF says the car is built in Japan, and it's a (hold on!) SUBARU!
Toyota normally uses "JTx", but both GT86 and BRZ are identified as Subaru and use "JFx".

4th-8th digits are the vehicle descriptor. How this is built differs per manufacturer, but it tells them the attributes of the car, like the engine type, gearbox, things like that.
9th digit is a check digit.

10th digit is the building year of the car. This can be a number or a letter, with exception of some letters. In our case, C = 2012, D = 2013.

11th digit is a code that represents the factory of manufacture.

12th-17th digits is your car number! So just check the last 6 digits of your VIN and you know what your car number is."

So it seems my red TRD is a TRD from manufacture. However it is not really clear what number my car is of the limited run.

My car also has a Fuji Heavy Industries LTD (Subaru) plaque on. This states the applied model, trim code, colour code, option code and all the other stuff on the vin plate.

I tried searching the trim code, option code and applied model and google returned nothing. As of now I am stuck. That's unless an official toyota employee or dealer could help me? I really want to find out more about the history of the GT86 TRD's and the run numbers.

Edited by cropzy
Found more info

2 hours ago, Lauren said:

Interesting stuff! So what part of it says it's a 'TRD' and how do you know that? 

The vin plate states it, like in @Kaisersalsek post. It states "GT86 TRD". I have a picture but I need to get it from my camera and edit it. 

I find it strange that there is no official website or chart for these stats. It would be interesting and cool to know. Google can only help so much though.

Yes, I get that, but that is just stuck on in the UK. Yes it verifies it as a UK TRD, but that's not actually part of the VIN is it? The VIN is behind the windscreen. I thought you meant that there were specific numbers of the VIN like you were describing would designate it being a TRD, but I doubt that's the case. 

Well the VIN is just a generic one from what I have read up on. I supposed its just the number of the GT86 as each one comes to the UK or out of the factory. There needs to be an official database or something.

Yep, they were stock cars that were made into UK TRD's by Toyota GB hence the sticker. They didn't number them like the Giallo or Blanco, though they were of course called as such by Toyota GB. The Giallo has a specific colour of course. All of these including the TRD especially which has the TRD bodykit. Other markets got variations of TRD and Giallos as some regions got different parts fitted, like the big brakes on the JDM TRD which the UK didn't get. 

You can contact Toyota GB, from what is known I think 166 UK TRD's were sold, so they didn't get to the apparent run of 250, mainly due to the high price I would have thought. 

But unfortunately none of these were factory built. They simply had TRD parts from the parts catalogue added when they arrived at Portbury docks. 

Ah I didn't know that. That is very insightful and is so much clearer now. It's a shame they don't come as the TRD from factory, but I guess each TRD is different for each Country. 

The price was high for the car and the TRD was announced in the 86's infancy so people were skeptical I presume. 

Thanks for the info @Lauren

Totally agree it is a shame. It would be lovely wouldn't it knowing that your chassis had specific VINs that identified it as a TRD and it was taken off the main line whilst they added TRD goodness. I've been to the Maebashi Subaru factory where all GT86's and BRZ's are made. I had a factory tour. Though I wasn't allowed into the actual assembly line for the GT, I had a tour of the Forester being made from sheet metal to driving out the other end. You can kind of see why when you watch it in action why it would not be feasible to have factory built cars unless they were hand finished, given how automonous production is. 

I think you have to remember how much more a TRD was compared to the stock car which wasn't cheap anyway which is in part due to the £3K tax (then add VAT) for cars produced in Japan and imported to the UK. I remember well enough when it was released and reviewed the RRG TRD demo when it came in. It certainly seemed a lot of money for a bodykit and precious little else. I was surprised at the time that they didn't add any performance TRD parts and not even the TRD engine start/stop button (I bought one of these for my car whilst in Japan incidentally!). I think at the time it came out people expected more and the price put a lot of people off. 

TRD nowadays is simply cosmetic mods with Gazzoo Racing taking over the performance parts side of Toyota. That there was only 166 or so sold in the UK make it a rarity (though the Giallo and Blanco are by nature of only 86 of each being available are rarer still), but it is a pity that the UK TRD is a Toyota GB special only, though the car was sold as a TRD in Europe and other markets of course all with variations on what got fitted. So it's the same everywhere if that makes sense with the authenticity of this model. Most were white or black, so having a red one is rare. 

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

I was surprised at the time that they didn't add any performance TRD parts and not even the TRD engine start/stop button (I bought one of these for my car whilst in Japan incidentally!). 

Sorry @Lauren - gloriously off topic, but do you perhaps have any recommendations on shops to go to in japan for trd parts? I'm off there later in the year and there are a few goodies I'm eyeing up to try and find over there!

Just now, Kaisersalsek said:

Sorry @Lauren - gloriously off topic, but do you perhaps have any recommendations on shops to go to in japan for trd parts? I'm off there later in the year and there are a few goodies I'm eyeing up to try and find over there!

Well the obvious answer is one of the big Super Autobacs, they have a selection of TRD parts but way more of everything else. I got my engine start/stop button there off the shelf. A snip at £60. 

1 minute ago, Lauren said:

Well the obvious answer is one of the big Super Autobacs, they have a selection of TRD parts but way more of everything else. I got my engine start/stop button there off the shelf. A snip at £60. 

Whaaaaat! That's crazy prices! I'll check it out! We're going Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka areas, so gotta be one around there somewhere! Thanks!

Bear in mind if you can't carry it, then you'll have to work out shipping which may be expensive, not saving you that much really. Yokohama MM has a Super Autobacs, it's only 20 mins on the train/subway. Or about an hour and a half if you hire a car. :P

12 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Bear in mind if you can't carry it, then you'll have to work out shipping which may be expensive, not saving you that much really. Yokohama MM has a Super Autobacs, it's only 20 mins on the train/subway. Or about an hour and a half if you hire a car. :P

Ahh cool! We're JR passing it, thought it'd just take longer and cost more to get around by car lol. There are a couple of big things I want, but like you say, I won't be able to pack them, so I'm gonna order those in the UK and get them shipped (though the near £200 shipping charge is slightly killing me). But little things, I'm gonna go nuts (within my customs allowance obviously lol)

Just buy stuff and stick it in your case. You should get a VAT exemption in Japan as well which helps. A car is good if you're going over the Skylines round Mount Fuji area and Gunma. I hired a GT86 from Toyota. Simply enough to do. You won't be able to get there by train so easily and obviously you need a car to drive the touge and all that. First class for a week on the bullet train is definitely worth doing. I'm guessing you've figured that out already.