Sign in to follow this  
chunck

Worth remapping?

Hello everyone

after 3 years of owning my gt i have finaly started to moddify it

i have gone and fitted me a perrin 2.5" cat back with a Berk HFC front pipe. Also have got a nice new Samco intake hose with the cosworth drop in filter and a HKS intake snorkle

Question is ive been reading alot about changing the intake layout and how it will make the car run lean or rich and not wanting to cause any damage wondered if it might be remap worthy

i fully intended to remap within about 6 moths as ill be ordering me the FT86 speed factory UEL catted manifold and a nice new shiney over pipe but this was purely for the power gains. But as i have now scared myself into thinking 6 months is long time to be running a rich fuel mixture would it warrant an early remap?

and finally located in the west midlands (walsall) area closest and best tuneing company? personal had fensport in mind a little uneasy at the cost though, but if needs must the car comes first

thanks guys and girls

Dan

You can remap it, but it will be fine as it is. Might be worth saving for a manifold first though to avoid remapping twice. I'm getting an equal length manifold and exhaust from Tuning Developments in Warrington fitted this week. Will be ditching my Milltek and getting another remap of course! I would say Tuning developments are nearer to you than anyone else. 

Wait till you get the new manifold. Unless you want to spend an extra £350 on another mapping session. 

Cars with O2 sensors and MAFs can tune themselves to a limited degree via trim, so a few quality mods can improve performance without risking anything. With that in mind, you can check the LTFT settings via an OBD reader and/or phone app to see what the car thinks of your mods. Large scale adjustments (e.g. more than +/- 10) can indicate that the car is making big adjustments to compensate for what it perceives to be sub-optimal combustion.

The real problems with aftermarket intakes come when the MAF isn't positioned correctly in laminar air flow. Then it reads wildly and the ECU cannot figure out what to do. It will usually manifest as a crappy idle and uneven power delivery. There's quite a lot of leeway in the default tune to account for changes in altitude, fuel and air temp/pressure so you don't need to worry unless the car is running poorly. Indeed, much of the gains with remaps are from deliberately taking some safety margin away.

15 hours ago, Lauren said:

You can remap it, but it will be fine as it is. Might be worth saving for a manifold first though to avoid remapping twice. I'm getting an equal length manifold and exhaust from Tuning Developments in Warrington fitted this week. Will be ditching my Milltek and getting another remap of course! I would say Tuning developments are nearer to you than anyone else. 

Wait till you get the new manifold. Unless you want to spend an extra £350 on another mapping session. 

Sorry to drift slightly off topic but how come you are moving to the TD exhaust Lauren ,  just fed up with the Milltek weld failures or are there performance/noise reasons?

2 hours ago, Adam9 said:

Sorry to drift slightly off topic but how come you are moving to the TD exhaust Lauren ,  just fed up with the Milltek weld failures or are there performance/noise reasons?

I'm getting the TD manifold. Losing the primary cat will make it too loud, so going with a resonated exhaust, TD supplied. All made by JP in Macc. Already got a buyer for the Milltek. 

It'll be fine short-term, I ran with a 3" Perrin intake for 6 months without a map. Best to save up for the manifold and get that ad the map together ASAP rather than spend the money on the map now and paying for the re-remap later.

5 hours ago, Paul said:

It'll be fine short-term, I ran with a 3" Perrin intake for 6 months without a map. Best to save up for the manifold and get that ad the map together ASAP rather than spend the money on the map now and paying for the re-remap later.

Just to add, I did 70K miles with an Injen Induction kit, Miltek exhaust and overpipe and 2nd cat delete without remapping and had no issues. 

When my car in it's original spec with the Injen was on, it seemed to produce a bit more power mainly on account of leaning out the fuel slightly. It was a bonus really, but nothing to worry about. 

Just had mine remaped at Rtec with Alientech stage 1 drove away next thing i know the car wants to leap forward when i rev slighly in 1st gear not good in traffic anyone know how to get rid of this please i hate it ?????

50 minutes ago, Topdeck said:

Just had mine remaped at Rtec with Alientech stage 1 drove away next thing i know the car wants to leap forward when i rev slighly in 1st gear not good in traffic anyone know how to get rid of this please i hate it ?????

I'd take it back to them and get them to sort it