Keethos

TSS Round 5 Cadwell Park Sun 1st October

Since this is going to be a fair popular track, thought I'd get this up to see who will be staying and if there is enough interest, get people to stay together at one of the awesome cabins which sleeps about 3-10 people, that we stayed in the last time we were there

Oat7lOxMZ7dgRI0bZqmB9zU0asBwWYI2BS8odsct

This was at the Best Western Kenwick Park Hotel back in 2015 for the last round of the TSS, they do have an actual hotel with some really big spacious rooms as well and it's only 10mins from the circuit.  No idea on pricing yet, I'll look into it and see but who's up for staying in a slaughter house cabin :D 

P.S. I'll most probably be heading up the night before and also staying the Sunday night too if people are up for that as well.

No you are correct, it is a mini Nurgburging (though disclaimer, I haven't actually been to the Ring yet but others who have has said the same), awesome twists and turns, elevations and drops, but it's not for the faint hearted, it's often used as a Bike track so the track isn't the widest and the are things to hit to respect the track or else :P   By far my favourite track so far.

Cadwell is known as the mini-nurburgring on account of its big changes in elevation and for it's complex sections of bends. My favourite circuit in the UK. :)

I'd be up for log cabins, Keith. 

According to their brochure:

Kenwick Maple Lodge (Sleeps 4)

1 Night = £199 (£49.75 per person)

2 Nights = £320 (£80 per person / £40 per person per day):

Two Bedrooms. Standard open plan lodge with one double with en-suite shower and one twin, plus family bathroom.  No Pets.  No Smoking.

Kenwick Cedar Lodge (Sleeps 6)

1 Night = £239 (£39.83 per person)

2 Nights = £390 (£65 per person / £32.50 per person per day):

Three Bedrooms.  Standard open plan lodge with one double with en-suite shower and two further bedrooms and a family bathroom.  Two Cedar units are Pet Friendly (supplements apply).  No Smoking.

Kenwick Retreat Lodge (Sleeps 8)

1 Night = £329 (£41.13 per person)

2 Nights = £459 (£57.38 per person / £28.69 per person per day)

These spacious lodges offer contemporary comfort in wonderful surroundings.  Open plan with 4 bedrooms, perfect for families and group getaway.  No Pets.  No Smoking.  No Children.

*newbie raises hand*

I have been looking at this, but my car is not currently set up for any kind of racing! :huh:

It feels more ready than any other car I have put on a track, but I know that means nothing when compared to a race setup...

I also very likely don't have any of the pre-requisites (other than a car, 4 wheels and tyre!).  What do I actually need to have versus what would be good to have?  Also, what would make the car ineligible?

I have so much that needs doing, not least of which is another remap, but that's for a different topic and budget! :)

Any car is good for this, there's even a completely stock category for GT86's which I assume you're not in due to already being remapped  :P

As long as the car is roadworthy and the interior is still fitted for the street classes it's very easy to enter, £5 for a race card on the day (now cheaper than the £15 for the year as there's only 2 rounds left) and I'm not sure how much sponsor stickers are.

I did my first sprint this year, loads of fun and I highly recommend attending one; everyone is really helpful. I didn't pay for my sponsor stickers, maybe because it was a half price round at Kendrew?

On that note of stickers, I should look into getting Toyota Sprint stickers of some sort just to advertise the series a bit more. 

Reminds me I must book the snetterton one; only I have just paid for new insurance, service, mot and the flex A's so a lot of expense this month. Tempted by this round too. 

Edit: Or did I pay for stickers, I can't remember :lol:

1 hour ago, Innersphere said:

*newbie raises hand*

I have been looking at this, but my car is not currently set up for any kind of racing! :huh:

It feels more ready than any other car I have put on a track, but I know that means nothing when compared to a race setup...

I also very likely don't have any of the pre-requisites (other than a car, 4 wheels and tyre!).  What do I actually need to have versus what would be good to have?  Also, what would make the car ineligible?

I have so much that needs doing, not least of which is another remap, but that's for a different topic and budget! :)

Your car doesn't need to be specifically setup, totally stock is fine. If you've had a remap you will find yourself in the biggest N1 class. All you need is your driving licence, to cover your arms and a helmet. 

The important thing is to check you are on MSA List 1A tyres as 1B tyres will put you in the pro class. 

I'd honestly say don't spend anything more on the car unless you are absolutely sure you want to go sprinting. Just enter Cadwell and see what you think. The class regs are fairly relaxed when it comes the N1 class. No engine internals changing, but of the three of us currently running at the top of the class we all have, TD EL Manifold, remap, exhaust and coilovers and we run Yoko Advan V105's as these are the best permissible tyres for the class. It all depends how serious you want to get. I've won a sprint on the Primacy tyre before though. ;)

I think I understand all of that, apart from the sponsor stickers....  Why would I need those, especially with no sponsor whatsoever apart from me :)

On the tyres, they are Michelin Pilot Sport 4's - I could not see them when I searched for the list, but it did say Pilot Sports allowed with a * next to it...

I have only had the car a month, so no mods on me so far apart from the lower control arms to get my rear camber sorted.  Front camber now maxed out at 1.3 degrees - bolts won't turn anymore :-/

Car already had over-pipe back exhaust with remap and just Eibach spring kit fitted, so 1/2 way there :)

To be honest, being so new to the car, it will not be the limiting factor - I will!  Not sure what it will do under any circumstances yet - I ideally wanted to get it on a track or something to find some limits, behaviour etc, as doing that on the road is a bad idea.....

And on the limiting note - I assume because it's a competitive series, no insurance will cover it?

Vehicle Branding
All vehicles entered in to the Toyota Sprint Series agree to accept our terms and conditions 
regarding vehicle branding.
It will be a condition of entry that all competing vehicles will display official sponsor logos in the 
designated position on their vehicles. Failure to comply will lead to the loss of championship points.

http://www.toyotasprint.com/tss16/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=24

You are correct, normal track day insurance won't cover. There's been discussion regarding tyres. If you just want to go along to take part and don't care about competing properly, then any tires will do.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4's are not on the MSA List 1a. So technically these are not legible for the class. But given you are not doing the championship it's less of a problem. So it depends where you finish of course. 

You'd need competition insurance to cover you which normally has a 20% excess of the value you insure your car for. 

@Lauren Would it be possible to come to this but just to get an idea of what the whole series is about? It's very local to me and plan on entering next year but just want to have a look as I've never been on track before, Thanks :) 

Tyres wise as

10 hours ago, Innersphere said:

I think I understand all of that, apart from the sponsor stickers....  Why would I need those, especially with no sponsor whatsoever apart from me :)

On the tyres, they are Michelin Pilot Sport 4's - I could not see them when I searched for the list, but it did say Pilot Sports allowed with a * next to it...

I have only had the car a month, so no mods on me so far apart from the lower control arms to get my rear camber sorted.  Front camber now maxed out at 1.3 degrees - bolts won't turn anymore :-/

Car already had over-pipe back exhaust with remap and just Eibach spring kit fitted, so 1/2 way there :)

To be honest, being so new to the car, it will not be the limiting factor - I will!  Not sure what it will do under any circumstances yet - I ideally wanted to get it on a track or something to find some limits, behaviour etc, as doing that on the road is a bad idea.....

And on the limiting note - I assume because it's a competitive series, no insurance will cover it?

Sponsor stickers are way of the sponsors getting some advertising from cars running in series, not sponsoring you as such :)

As mentioned above Pilot Sport4 is not on list 1a this year due to Michelin late to submit to msa i believe, you can still run them just will put you out of class but for a couple of rounds its doesnt matter and as they are very good tyres you will still have a chance in higher class if you can pedal.  The PIlot SPort with asterix on list is for older tyres which are fitted to some cars like some Ferrari's as OE fitment, check out further down list for Asterix reference

Just come along and have a go is my advice see how you like the format, ive been sprinting in various formats for over 10 years now in various cars and love the competiveness of it all compared to a trackday, even if nobody else in your class (like ive had so far in TSS) you are racing against your own previous time to see if you can go quicker and its great fun.

If you get the bug then you can deceide if you want to change car spec to change class, for example if you changed tyres you could go in with lower class for lightly modded n/a cars and they mostly use Yoko V105 tyres as do i in forced induction class,  but there are much better tyres out there depending what size wheel you have ;)

Im hoping to get to Cadwell work/family permitting :)

Ian

2 hours ago, Minion said:

@Lauren Would it be possible to come to this but just to get an idea of what the whole series is about? It's very local to me and plan on entering next year but just want to have a look as I've never been on track before, Thanks :) 

You would be more than welcome.

Thanks for the input all - much appreciated.

Paying sponsors to put stickers on my car that I don't want = fail, but ok, minor point ;)

Changing tyres, not so minor point, but for trying out, you're 100% right, it doesn't matter, so all good.  This is especially true as I still have to get used to the car, not seen the track before etc etc.

Do you need competitor number on the car too?  Are these available on the day?

Competition insurance - is it mandatory, or just recommended in case you bin it? Any recommendations here as I have never looked at this before?  Half the sites I have seen say they don't cover the event, but only theft etc, or they cover track days but not competitive events, which seems pointless?

Thanks again,

Graeme

3 minutes ago, KevinA said:

You would be more than welcome.

55 minutes ago, Steeps said:

Spectating is usually free at most circuits so feel free to come down and look around  :)

Thank you both, I'll make sure I'm free and keep an eye on this topic :) 

The competitor number is usually supplied on the day at sign on and included with the sponsor sticker pack. Worth getting some magnetic panels if you don't want them on your car full time. The sticker pack is usually £10 but without sponsors the entry fee would rise more than that £10, and you only need one set of stickers for the whole season.