GT-Eighty-Chris

Lightweight Pulleys

Hello!

I was doing some research and read the thread on this forum back in 2015 (seems like yesterday!) about lightweight pulleys and potential vibrations vs benefit of throttle response etc. 

What a lot of people said was there hadn't been enough time to see if these boxer engines get affected, whether or not you need damping etc. 

Some people said that you could change the Crank OR the Flywheel not both  

Is there any update? What are people's thoughts of lightweight pulleys? 

I get to fit my blingy blue water pump and alternator pulleys tomorrow. 

My observation is that the stock pully has a harmonic damper. The lightweight ones don't. I don't think Subaru/Toyota would have put a harmonic damper on if it didn't need one. 

Gains would be minimal with lighter pulleys. It's just bling without harmonic dampers as far as the crank pulley goes anyway. Fitting lightweight pulley on the water pump and alternator is just bling really, nothing more. 

1 minute ago, Lauren said:

My observation is that the stock pully has a harmonic damper. The lightweight ones don't. I don't think Subaru/Toyota would have put a harmonic damper on if it didn't need one. 

Gains would be minimal with lighter pulleys. It's just bling without harmonic dampers as far as the crank pulley goes anyway. Fitting lightweight pulley on the water pump and alternator is just bling really, nothing more. 

Seems better to invest elsewhere ! 

Oh and I fully understand, the pulleys I have are literally just for bling! 😂

I've had them for about 3 years now and I've had not had any problems with them at all and I've not heard anyone with them having any issues due to this who harmonic dampening malarkey......but I'll be honest......not worth the money.  Yes it does make it rev a lil quicker which can help with rev matching but initially it'll make it a lil tricky cos you need to get used to the change in timing (i.e. when to raise the clutch at the right revs) but if you're already used to it then they're really not that beneficial.

If you've already got them and you want to bling up your engine bay then by all means get them fitted, the only thing I'd add to that is the main pulley can be a pain to remove, it might need the front bumper off so the mechanic can get an impact gun on it, but I've heard others not having any problems and didn't need an impact gun to remove the main bolt.  If you haven't already got the pulley's then I wouldn't bother.