I have bought the Torque app and a OBD2 plug thingy to monitor oil temps but I cant get it to work. I have set up the PID as suggested in a few threads but no joy. A search around the interweb has come up with nothing. Other guages are working fine

Any ideas? Thanks

Have it working fine on Android with Dashcommand, just working out mounting options. Used another bit of software to auto unlock the phone and boot dashcommand when the car starts (and the opposite when the car is turned off)

Makes good use of an old phone :)4841e9a4da911365dec1d0654d9c9aad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Andrew Smith said:

That is good to know Rich, mine cost me about 8 beer tokens so it wasnt a great deal of money. I believe I have my settings right so perhaps I should pry my wallet open a bit further

My cheap one cost £3.75 and looked like this:

sepiad1448355801447.jpg

My slightly more expensive one was £9 and looked like this:

10624_h.jpg

Apparently the larger ones tend to be better.

I have ordered another dongle, the same as the one Rich has but I shall also try omitting the 'C' from the unit type. Will have to wait until later in the week for the result as the car is in for a service. I have Riceburners Yaris at present  ⛐

I went through about 3 of the cheapo ones from eBay where they'd either stop working completely or would be intermittent and so be useless. Ended up getting one of these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H9S71LW/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item (not at that price though!) - and it works fine. Will happily log at 0.1s which isn't entirely useful because Excel throws a hissy fit at the amount of data in the CSVs :D 

17 hours ago, Mike said:

I went through about 3 of the cheapo ones from eBay where they'd either stop working completely or would be intermittent and so be useless. Ended up getting one of these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H9S71LW/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item (not at that price though!) - and it works fine. Will happily log at 0.1s which isn't entirely useful because Excel throws a hissy fit at the amount of data in the CSVs :D 

0.1s is good. I put mine on log as fast as they update and it's about 0.3s per update.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

0.1s is good. I put mine on log as fast as they update and it's about 0.3s per update.

Had a look at the data, it might be logging at 0.1 but values aren't changing that often. Might change to log as often as they update...

21 hours ago, Mike said:

I have one of these too. This is what the knock offs are knocking off.

It works effortlessly and when using it to display something like fuel line pressure it updates fast enough to be useful. 

The Vgate scanner arrived so I excitedly plugged it in and just like the last dongle... no oil temp. 

Not sure if I can be bothered to persue this any more, I might just install a proper guage at some point

8 hours ago, Andrew Smith said:

The Vgate scanner arrived so I excitedly plugged it in and just like the last dongle... no oil temp. 

Not sure if I can be bothered to persue this any more, I might just install a proper guage at some point

I've literally just bought one also. Tried to find the option for oil temp, but i couldn't find it. Not sure if you have to buy additional plugins? 

1 hour ago, don said:

I've literally just bought one also. Tried to find the option for oil temp, but i couldn't find it. Not sure if you have to buy additional plugins? 

I have got mine working this morning, no need for a plugin.

Set up a custom PID using the settings I posted near the top of this page with the exception of the long and short name, call it someting you will recognise. I called mine 'Andys Oil Temp'

Go to realtime information and select the guage that appeals to you and then from the menu that will appear, select your custom PID.

All being well you should have a working oil guage

19 minutes ago, Andrew Smith said:

I have got mine working this morning, no need for a plugin.

Set up a custom PID using the settings I posted near the top of this page with the exception of the long and short name, call it someting you will recognise. I called mine 'Andys Oil Temp'

Go to realtime information and select the guage that appeals to you and then from the menu that will appear, select your custom PID.

All being well you should have a working oil guage

Andy if you're passing by, drop in and i'll take a look for you. Ours picks up Oil Temp no issue.

Mike

20 minutes ago, Rich said:

You need to not call it "Oil Temperature" I think as there's already a sensor for this using the same name.

I've got mine as "Oil temperature", must be case sensitive!