richardcarman

Help - want to lower the BRZ what my options

Hi so I'll confess I know little about cars so need some help. I'm wanting to lower the BRZ probably 25mm. What are my choices and options. It will always be a road car, not likely to track it, so needs to be a setup for daily driving. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coilovers or springs will do what you need them to do if you're looking for around 25mm.

We have our open day this Sunday if you're able to make it, there will no doubt be all various options there on the day and i'm sure people can demo things for you :) 

Mike

Coilovers give you a lot more flexibility and adjust-ability, over springs, but springs are cheaper.

Would recommend coilovers 100%. Look at the For Sale section, usually some up there.

Lots of people have bought springs, only to swap them out for coilovers some time down the line. Save yourself the money and the hassle, and learn from their mistakes. Coilovers are the way to go, no matter what you wanna do with them.

I was one of those people who made that mistake. I bought the cheapest coilovers Tein make, and they're still infinitely better than stock. More comfortable, better damping, more adjustability, no downsides.

As above, get coilovers. If you're dropping 25 mm on springs, they're going to be far too stiff for the stock dampers. You'll end up with an uncomfortable ride.

2 hours ago, S18 RSG said:

Lots of people have bought springs, only to swap them out for coilovers some time down the line. Save yourself the money and the hassle, and learn from their mistakes. Coilovers are the way to go, no matter what you wanna do with them.

I was one of those people who made that mistake. I bought the cheapest coilovers Tein make, and they're still infinitely better than stock. More comfortable, better damping, more adjustability, no downsides.

I went springs with stiffer anti roll bars and worst thing ever and ride was awful.

changed back to standard anti roll bars with TEIN coilovers but you will need geometry setting up as lowering car throws it out.

I went for springs as i cant be bothered with adjustable coilovers that i wont adjust and they offer the drop i wanted. Also springs allow you to do dip your toes in on a budget as i paid £80 for a second hand set of eibach 25mm front and 20mm rear spring and they took a couple of hours to fit. I couldnt be happier with them, exactly what i wanted with only a slightly harsher ride, possibly more fidgety at slow speed on broken surfaces but its hard to remember if the stock springs were like that anyway. There is the potential the dampers will wear out quicker but by that time there will be a huge supply of dirt cheap second hand spares and uprated dampers are available should you want to improve them aswell.

12 hours ago, richardcarman said:

Well I drive mainly on country roads, so why are your coilovers bad

Not sure. I'm thinking either the roads local to me are particularly bad, something's not right with the car - be it bushes links or something else I don't understand, or these particular coilovers - but they aren't cheap, and other people sing their praises.

It's a work in progress - just had a weekend in the Lake District, and driving on the smooth roads was great, but on the little back roads here in Yorkshire I'm having to avoid a lot of my usual traffic-light-dodging routes because it's impossible to make smooth progress. It's embarrassingly bad.

53 minutes ago, Adamd said:

Not sure. I'm thinking either the roads local to me are particularly bad, something's not right with the car - be it bushes links or something else I don't understand, or these particular coilovers - but they aren't cheap, and other people sing their praises.

It's a work in progress - just had a weekend in the Lake District, and driving on the smooth roads was great, but on the little back roads here in Yorkshire I'm having to avoid a lot of my usual traffic-light-dodging routes because it's impossible to make smooth progress. It's embarrassingly bad.

Are you coming to the TD meet on Sunday? Could be a good opportunity to get some rides in other peoples cars and see how they compare.

10 minutes ago, Deacon said:

Are you coming to the TD meet on Sunday? Could be a good opportunity to get some rides in other peoples cars and see how they compare.

I might be able to make it, but it'll be a last-minute decision because I have a lot on at the moment.

21 minutes ago, Adamd said:

I might be able to make it, but it'll be a last-minute decision because I have a lot on at the moment.

If you do you're welcome to a ride in mine which is probably one of the firmest around to see how it compares 👍

49 minutes ago, richardcarman said:

Shame it's so far from me or I'd be there

No excuse, I'm driving 4 hours!