Stutopia

Stubaru BRZ

4 hours ago, Cerastes said:

Aww wish I had known. Ordered few days ago from same place, should be with me soon. 

Sorry mate. Perhaps you'll have better luck than I did, but failing that, open a paypal dispute, I got a quick response from them when I did.

First of the serious, frivolous mods today.

Requiring nearly all my tools.

As well as my Captain Brave pants.

aHxzrw9.jpg

Drilled into the inner skin of the boot lid.

Fitted a dirty great rivet.

Did some screwing.

After a few minutes hard work, the job was complete.

Can you tell what it is yet?

5d1sfwv.jpg

That's right!!!! It's a boot lid handle, in red! And with it being a mod, it's good for AT LEAST 15bhp, and the extra weight is over the driven wheels, so extra grip too!

I also found a random boot magnet, silver, on the right.

b71dLsr.jpg

Does everyone on this platform have a random boot lid magnet? Or is it just me?

1 hour ago, Cerastes said:

I'm confused, what does it do. Looks like some red plastic. 

LOL

It's a boot pull, to shut the boot lid without having to touch the filth on the outside.

Loved reading this. Missed it when first posted. I'm just about to buy an armrest and having lost my aux power supply when they fitted my new head unit need to figure a way of powering phone when it's in its mount. I guess that's why you have the lightning cable where it is?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, GT86Bob said:

Loved reading this. Missed it when first posted. I'm just about to buy an armrest and having lost my aux power supply when they fitted my new head unit need to figure a way of powering phone when it's in its mount. I guess that's why you have the lightning cable where it is?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Exactly right. I initially kept the OEM AUX and USB but it's seemed to be insufficiently powerful to charge a phone and use it fairly intensively (Maps & streaming). So I disconnected that and just ran a long Lightning cable into the arm rest. With CarPlay the phone can be tucked away out of sight whilst in use, which is perfect as I didn't want a mount on the dash.

Cheeky little one today. The belt covers on the AC and alternator have never really floated my boat. Accordingly I picked up a Grimmspeed aux belt cover a while back, which not only provides a neat tray upon which you can rest tools. It also looks rather smart, if I do say so myself. 

Tdd3BrQ.jpg

I think the sound generator might be next on my list of things I can live without in the engine bay.

That boot handle is awesome! I need one (although perhaps not in red).

Sadly enough one of my biggest gripes with this car is the lack of an interior handle to close the boot with.

1 hour ago, Ztox said:

That boot handle is awesome! I need one (although perhaps not in red).

Sadly enough one of my biggest gripes with this car is the lack of an interior handle to close the boot with.

I could only find red :(

On the plus side, it's easy to spot :lol:

A little bit of maintenance and a cheeky cosmetic mod.

Firstly the car came with some Apollo Aspire 4Gs on the front axle, I wasn't blow away by their wet performance and they seemed to lose pressure for fun, so I decided to treat her right and put some lovely fresh rubber on all round. I must apologise for the green dust caps, apparently ATS think that's an ok thing to do.

111VHHf.jpg

I ran the MPSS on my 350z but as they are being consigned to history I decided to try these instead. So far so good and I can confirm there is definitely no more release agent on the rears :)

On to more frivolous pursuits, I've had my pipe blocked for some time now (ooohh and indeed errr) so it felt right to do away with this lot and add some lightness.

rtgufAc.jpg

Everything still runs fine, so I guess it really doesn't do anything other than make a noise. I was just going to leave a hole in the intake pipe and just run the car like a boss, but in the end I decided to add even more lightness and some purple too.

jsomuHa.jpg

Just need to find some more purple...

PS - Anyone else found the Samco intake pipe to be a bit of PITA to fit? It just didn't want to play with the airbox end, so I swore at it until it did.

Pilot sport 4's :P I'm getting those. 

I did struggle with my intake hose too, I thought it would be easy but as always things get in the way; so you have to undo a few more screws (then drop one and spend 15mins trying to find it) and just make it more difficult. 

6 hours ago, Stutopia said:

Anyone else found the Samco intake pipe to be a bit of PITA to fit? It just didn't want to play with the airbox end, so I swore at it until it did.

It's common with all silicone hoses, you'll have the same issue if you want to open the Airbox. Simple work around.... Undo the 3 bolts holding the Airbox to allow movement. No issues after that ;)

4 hours ago, benmmellor said:

can I ask what rear view camera kit you have and how hard was it to fit? need to think about protecting my TRD rear!

Here's the camera https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-audiovox-rvc1_p-31209.htm it's a bit more expensive than I've paid for them in the past but it was just easy because I was getting a head unit from them also.

Fitting is straightforward but a little time consuming, obviously you have to run cable behind the dash, down the passenger side (front and rear) behind the trim and up into the boot. I was also replacing the head unit so I had the necessary adapters and cabling to tap straight in, I don't know how easy it is to retrofit to the OEM head unit.

The two tricky bits are getting the wire down the rubber from the boot lid to the body, here

IMG_9001.thumb.jpg.41b76de3d7e0234c25c5e5c9ac502557.jpg

and tapping the reverse light for power from here

IMG_4162.thumb.JPG.2ccd5c877536e7e41bb5edbd10a8bce7.JPG

it's the pink wire. This last bit is tricky because the loom is very tightly packed, individual wires are quite thin and fragile and it involves working on your back, in the boot and stripping the cable insulation off without cutting the wire. 

I believe you can get the reverse signal up from behind the head unit, but I didn't have that guide and you will still need to run a cable to the camera for signal and power to the back. Here's some links I found useful for cable routing and ideas.

http://www.gt86ownersclub.co.uk/forum/tomtop-white-reversing-camera-install_topic2800.html

http://forum.gt86drivers.de/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=1110

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30144

It's not what I'd call skilled work, just be patient and careful. Check your wires with a multimeter before splicing/soldering anything. Stay safe. This is all for info, if you electrocute yourself or chop your loom in half I won't be held liable 😆

On 7/6/2017 at 7:26 PM, Stutopia said:

They told me it was nitrogen

#racecar

Hence the green caps ... then again it was ATS ...

Who was the chain reported to be telling customers it was N, and charging extra, but in reality it was common or garden compressed air?

10 hours ago, gazza82 said:

Hence the green caps ... then again it was ATS ...

Who was the chain reported to be telling customers it was N, and charging extra, but in reality it was common or garden compressed air?

They could fill them with Guinness and there'd be no excuse for those green caps!

Common or garden air is circa 80% nitrogen so they fill them with nitrogen in the same way a sausage is filled with meat 😂

Some great ideas and even better reasoning. 

I modded my mx5 spending a fortune only to break it on a track day.  As such my lovely lady has banned me from spending money on mods for the 86. Saying that I've still managed to aquire brand new coilovers new tyres and better break pads For £0 keeps the blagging skills sharp 

Essential maintenance this time, none of your frivolous modding rubbish :)

New Stoptech pads and Goodridge SS lines all round. I don't know what pad combo the PO was running but I wasn't impressed by the bite or how quickly they started to fade. Much happier today on the spirited ride home. Looking at the good condition of the lines which came off, I suspect the pads have more to do with the performance improvement than anything else. Very pleased.

IMG_0125.thumb.jpg.bf656c6bafb53c7924fc0ddd697fa16e.jpg

I also took the yolks out of the fried eggs, front and back. i did try LEDs first but they weren't kicking out the light output I was expecting, so they'll do as spares. 

Eggless.thumb.jpg.25a8ed09e58ee538e15b9feb8d525655.jpg

No pics but I also had some camber bolts fitted up front, a geo and a super pro gearbox mount insert fItted. This last bit of maintenance has raised a small buzz in the cockpit, nothing noticeable with the tunes on, but has tightened up shifting nicely.

All in all some pleasing maintenance making her feel just that little bit sharper all around.

On 7/10/2017 at 5:10 PM, Stutopia said:

Essential maintenance this time, none of your frivolous modding rubbish :)

New Stoptech pads and Goodridge SS lines all round. I don't know what pad combo the PO was running but I wasn't impressed by the bite or how quickly they started to fade. Much happier today on the spirited ride home. Looking at the good condition of the lines which came off, I suspect the pads have more to do with the performance improvement than anything else. Very pleased.

I also took the yolks out of the fried eggs, front and back. i did try LEDs first but they weren't kicking out the light output I was expecting, so they'll do as spares. 

No pics but I also had some camber bolts fitted up front, a geo and a super pro gearbox mount insert fItted. This last bit of maintenance has raised a small buzz in the cockpit, nothing noticeable with the tunes on, but has tightened up shifting nicely.

All in all some pleasing maintenance making her feel just that little bit sharper all around.

Looks good. 

Can I ask you to link the bulds you used?

That info would be great :)