trashy

Anyone regret going turbo?

Wide-ranging question, I know, but does anyone regret going turbo with their GT86/BRZ?  

I'm not talking about the cost, because it's never worth it come resale.

I'm more interested in any bad aspects compared with OEM.

For example:

* throttle response?

* reliability?

* quality of mapping?

* heat management on track?

I have a supercharged Mx5 Mk3 that is so much better than when it left the factory, but it has taken a long time to iron out the above to my satisfaction.

Only had mine turbo'd for 4 months, but no real complaints so far.

Economy is better than before, drivability is on a new level, throttle response isn't significantly worse, sure there's a little turbo lag, but that's to be expected. It's far better than even some OEM applications I've tried (looking at you Mitsubishi Evo 9 FQ340).

The main thing I had to get used to was the throttle sensitivity, which was a result of the mapping. Took me about 6-8 weeks to get used to it. I still occasionally struggle balancing the throttle, especially on hill starts and pulling off when cold, but that's more my fault than the cars'.

Not had chance to get it on track since, but not had any heat issues on weekend blasts in the Welsh mountains, and that's a fairly brutal road test.

I don't know if this is as relevant but my other car was an Audi tts just sold :( , 270bhp turbo 2l, now with my gt86 only with a new intake and exhaust ATM, soon to put a new overpipe and manifold in it and have a remap to see how it does naturally aspirated but that should take it to 225bhpish? Admittedly the 4wd Audi was extremely fast to accelerate ect and it is a sort of similar car. I prefer driving my gt86 as it sits now over my audi. I only ever miss the power when overtaking but thats probably because I got used to just blowing past anyone. The 85 is incredible drivable and I can drive it to the limits of its ability basically I can use full throttle for more than 2 seconds without doing 85 and having to brake because I've caught up with the car infront, whereas If it was to have 270+ bhp is probably prefer the Audi tts at that point just because the brakes are about 30 times better which would be an expensive upgrade on the 86 to match. The gt86 corners way better ect so you maintain enough speed in corners to not need the turbo to get back up to speed imo. Speaking from country lane driving experience where I live. whereas in the Audi because the brakes are so good and it accellerates so incredibly fast it's nicer to corner much, much slower. Plus once your upto speed how often are you going to be accelerating from 60-100? And if you maintain a lot of speed in corners it makes the turbo not incredibly important at that point. When overtaking in my Audi I found myself over speeding also which isn't a problem in the 86.  Also for the price of a turbo kit you can geta 70k mile well kept 350z which would also be a more cost effective investment and you get two swanky japs on your drive. Saying all this I still want to bloody supercharge my gt86  😂😂 hopefully you found my rambling of some relevance  even though I didn't really answer any of your questions :) 

btw how inform do you have to service your turbo'd and is it more expensive 

53 minutes ago, jevvy said:

I don't know if this is as relevant but my other car was an Audi tts just sold :( , 270bhp turbo 2l, now with my gt86 only with a new intake and exhaust ATM, soon to put a new overpipe and manifold in it and have a remap to see how it does naturally aspirated but that should take it to 225bhpish? Admittedly the 4wd Audi was extremely fast to accelerate ect and it is a sort of similar car. I prefer driving my gt86 as it sits now over my audi. I only ever miss the power when overtaking but thats probably because I got used to just blowing past anyone. The 85 is incredible drivable and I can drive it to the limits of its ability basically I can use full throttle for more than 2 seconds without doing 85 and having to brake because I've caught up with the car infront, whereas If it was to have 270+ bhp is probably prefer the Audi tts at that point just because the brakes are about 30 times better which would be an expensive upgrade on the 86 to match. The gt86 corners way better ect so you maintain enough speed in corners to not need the turbo to get back up to speed imo. Speaking from country lane driving experience where I live. whereas in the Audi because the brakes are so good and it accellerates so incredibly fast it's nicer to corner much, much slower. Plus once your upto speed how often are you going to be accelerating from 60-100? And if you maintain a lot of speed in corners it makes the turbo not incredibly important at that point. When overtaking in my Audi I found myself over speeding also which isn't a problem in the 86.  Also for the price of a turbo kit you can geta 70k mile well kept 350z which would also be a more cost effective investment and you get two swanky japs on your drive. Saying all this I still want to bloody supercharge my gt86  😂😂 hopefully you found my rambling of some relevance  even though I didn't really answer any of your questions :) 

btw how inform do you have to service your turbo'd and is it more expensive 

If the engine is forged you have to service more regularly, but just normal FI there's no increase in service regularity.

Service is the same cost, although you'd probably be taking it back to the FI tuner rather than a Toyota dealer.

4 hours ago, Paul said:

If the engine is forged you have to service more regularly, but just normal FI there's no increase in service regularity.

If you go FI, you'll need to give the engine better maintenance than the OEM schedule if you care about your engine. Stock block or not.

Anyone who has issues with their pedal feel, get your tuner to sort it out!

5 hours ago, jevvy said:

I don't know if this is as relevant but my other car was an Audi tts just sold :( , 270bhp turbo 2l, now with my gt86 only with a new intake and exhaust ATM, soon to put a new overpipe and manifold in it and have a remap to see how it does naturally aspirated but that should take it to 225bhpish? 

You won't get anywhere near 225bhp. More like 215bhp at absolute best, but the driveability will be far better. That's where it counts. 

As Lauren says - you won't get much top end without FI (these cars don't even really put out 200bhp stock) but you will get more meat in the midrange. It's made a world of difference to mine for overtaking - usable rev range now 3.5-7k...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the turbo on my gt86 completely changed the car I have no regrets at all. As people may have already said services may need to be a little sooner as the engine oil is changed to 0/30w rather than the standard 0/20 and like mine uses race oil, in my case millers nano tech oil. Mines running approx 280bhp and really surprised my mate in his r32gtr running 1bar boost as I was pinned to his bumper with mine running only 0.7bar boost

I've not really had issues with throttle response but in saying that FENSPORT did do the mapping and the sensitivity is changed slightly in each map setting