I had a minor traffic accident last night where some opportunist stole my laptop bag, which contained work laptop and GT86 car key, whilst I was exchanging details with the 3rd party.

My insurance company reckons I should change the locks, they haven't said whether I should change the codes yet but their theft dept is closed until Monday.

However I just rang the Toyota dealer in Reading and priced up what would need to be done as a worst case scenario, which involves a new ECU, and it came to an eye-watering £2985 plus labour.

Has anybody been in the same position? What did you do?

Thanks

John 

Yes key fob. There is a key fob at large that could allow access to and start my car.

My insurance policy covers £100 pounds towards the change of a lock set, about 3% of the total cost.

As far as I know you can get another key and get it programmed to your car but you can't reprogram ECU to change fobs so someone would have access to your car can any other members confirm this please

We've not had many in this situation. But unless you change the ECU they will be able to get access to your car. Unless the ECU can be re-programmed, which you would think should be possible? It still won't be cheap though. 

You can take the car to the dealer who can erase all keys using the global techstream, except the one you have left all you then need is a new fob and it reprogrammed,  but unfortunately the key blade still allows access to drivers door lock.