dom2497

Doms 86

I might be tempted to dial in some more negative camber as my wheels are rather wide so the ride height can't be as low as I would like. Rear feels great to me, only the front understeer i want to resolve, maybe a personal preference thing

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quick update...

Did another trackday at the weekend at Blyton. Car ran well, got rid of the understeering by tweaking dampers and tyre pressures.

Some people have reported brake bias issues with having STI brakes all round. All I can say is I had no balance problems under hard breaking and I was catching everyone I came across in the braking zones excluding kit cars. Also several passengers commented on the braking performance of the car. Pad wise I am running EBC blue stuff on the rear and performance friction z rated on the front.

Finally got a new steering wheel which I put on last night!54e203a2e33d3fa05b693a3a22d965a1.jpgc557851c41e9404afcec00de4aaae0b8.jpgf98ac553b6b39b7a2213276cce5d3e95.jpg

Couple of cheeky videos I had lying about

Me getting annoyed at a Boxster (had already overtaken him in previous sessions and he never wanted to let me past!)

When Hondas go bad

Chasing down E92 M3

In terms of updates on the car not a huge amount to report, re-setup my suspension geo, reduced my rake abit and added a adjustable rear ARB to help cure some mid corner understeer. Car handles spot on now and is very adjustable at the limit. At the stage now where I think I will start booking some tuition and I need some guidance to unlock more speed. 

Anyone here fitted a TRD front bumper and skirts to their car? I am thinking of adding these to mine....

Also last trackday I was getting chucked about the cabin, so time for harnesses and buckets I feel but I would need a half cage. Anyone on here running a half cage?

Why not go for the Schroth Rally 3 harness? A number of us are using it now. It works very well without the hassle of having to install a harness bar or half cage. 

Why not go for the Schroth Rally 3 harness? A number of us are using it now. It works very well without the hassle of having to install a harness bar or half cage. 
I am tempted, I saw your post on fb about them. I then spoke to Schroth direct but think I got someone on the evening shift...

I will enquire through their website, I dont daily the car... its a toy so I dont mind the hassle of a cage but no one does one without drilling or welding the car. I have found one in the states which fits the bill but I am having difficulty convincing them to post to the UK. 43a87072ba052591c1f2082c88969268.jpg

Dom, I got mine from Amazon and with my Prime membership free postage. £124. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Schroth-10010-3-Point-Harness-System/dp/B001CC6X8S/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1529434123&sr=1-1-fkmr2&keywords=schroth+rallye+3+asm+left

Just make sure the ASM is on the left shoulder strap. It says left here. The trouble is I'm not sure if 'left' means LHD and 'right' means RHD. 

Mine came with the extra loop on the left shoulder strap which is correct. 

So this one is probably right: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Schroth-10510-Shoulder-Belt-Right/dp/B001CC6X9C/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1529434123&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=schroth+rallye+3+asm+left

Trouble is the pics of both are for LHD cars. 

So I was doing some digging - basically working out if I need a cage with a harness in the event of a roll over. There is a company in the states who have tested the roof strength.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/scion/fr-s-2-door-hatchback/2013

It seems it takes 5 times the vehicles weight before the tested area of the roof crushes down 5 inches.

A video of the test can be found here.

https://youtu.be/vvIdplmlqncg

Any amazing mathematicians know what kind of forces the roof is subjected to in a rollover at different speeds?

It's one of those things where you can Google stuff and there will always be someone who tells you that if you use a harness that you must have a cage. It's one of those things that seems to cause endless debate. I've ran cars with harnesses for nearly two decades, most haven't had a roll cage. Yes I'm still alive, but I have never rolled. 

What I would say is, if you are running sticky tyres or if you are going to use slicks, then a roll cage is far more crucial as the likelihood of rolling your car is significantly increased. On road tyres such as I use (V105's etc) less so. 

The roof of a GT86 has a very significant structure around the roof, this is a good thing. 

For me, I weighed up the probability of my untimely demise being caused by rolling my car whilst wearing a harness and came to the conclusion that the probability is beyond extremely low, so went with a harness which I only use on track with no roll cage. You make your choices....

You do indeed make your own choices, we have now got a 1 year old and I am the main earner for the family so my Mrs wants me to do TDs in bubble wrap! Its annoying as its a subject I am finding hard to research as its all driven by info thats being repeated - if you have a harness you must have a cage. Well not all cars roofs are the same, the distance between your head and the roof is not the same, cars weigh different amounts etc etc. I know a cage covers you in a rollover but comes with other compromises.

I suspect I will get the same harness as you Lauren, all the TD's I have done, no one has ever rolled their car...

I'd be happy in an ASM harness like Lauren has. After all road cars have an integral roll cage these days, granted not as strong as a race spec one, but it's a far cry from the old days when cars would pancake to the door line if you flipped them.

There's some interesting stuff here: https://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/esv/esv17/Proceed/00006.pdf

Interesting conclusion:

The roll cage increased the roof strength, as would be measured in FMVSS 216, to about seven times the weight of the vehicle. We believe that a factor of four would be adequate, but it would have to be applied at greater roll and pitch angles, perhaps a roll angle of 45 degrees and a pitch angle of 7.5 degrees.

This suggests that at 5 times the vehicles weight, the GT86 roof is adequate to prevent neck injury on a roll over, without a supplemental cage. Depending on how that number was tested.

6 minutes ago, VAD17 said:

Re ASM harness- may be dumb question- but can it be used with HANS?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Pretty sure it's not approved for that, but check out the technical sheet. 

Google this. Can't post the link here: https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=schroth+rally+3+pdf&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Seems like its not, but I have ordered mine anyway.
Based on your FB review I should be able to use my child seat and regular belt for daily, and these for occasional track day

When you disconnect it on the shoulder strap it's fine, you'll have no problem using your child seat. I would say you'd need to fit a proper bucket seat to use a hans device. 

On 20/06/2018 at 8:10 PM, VAD17 said:

Re ASM harness- may be dumb question- but can it be used with HANS?

Only if you get a 3 point compatible HANS.