dom2497

Doms 86

Well it's about time I started a thread for my 86, I have been too busy enjoying the car to get enough time in front of a keyboard!

Previous car was a 380 bhp RX7 and before that it was a 350z HR, so the 86 had alot to live up to !

The spec of the car is:

HKS V2 GT Supercharger

HKS Stroker 2.1l Forged crank and Piston Kit

Gram light 57Xtremes Alloy Wheels with AD08 tyres

HKS Hypermax IV GT Coilovers

HKS V Camshaft Intake and Exhaust Kit

HKS Lega Max Sports Exhaust

HKS LA Clutch

R Spec Cat Front pipe and Silencer

STI Brembo Big Brake Kit Front

HKS FCON IS Telemetry ECU

HKS Type S Pro SC Oil Cooler

HKS Exhaust Manifold

Updated Fuel Pump & Injectors

Uprated Valve Springs

ARP Main Block Bolts

Front Carbon Ducts

Ducktail Spoiler

ARP Head Bolts

HKS Metal Head Gaskets

Overpipe

RB26 Main Bearings

Plug M-HL Spec 10 Plugs

HKS Billet Oil Filler Cap

Telemetry Display Kit

HKS Air Filter

HKS Super Hybrid Oil Filter

HKS DMR

Car is running 330 at the rears dyno proven and is a scream to drive.

33485746446_177fcb1401_b.jpg

33143019390_f54930c7de_b.jpg

Since having the car I have made a few changes more down to my own personal preference. I will add these to this thread shortly.

I plan to run the car mainly as a fast road car with a few track days each year. Also quite simply, I love a bit of JDM!

Speaking of track days, here are a few pics from my first trackday at Snetterton. The car is already very well setup so its just a case of me learning more about the car and tweaking from there.

2017-03-15_01-42-41.jpg

2017-03-15_01-42-20.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Next up, changes I have made to the car...

Brake master cylinder brace

IMAG1122.jpg

Pilot sports

IMAG1070.jpg

IMAG1072.jpg

Changed to a different clutch slave for more pedal feel and swapped out for a braided line.

IMAG1117.jpg

Other little jobs

Sorted out getting the fcon readings using the head unit

IMAG1187.jpg

Sorted out the annoying parcel vibes, running poly diff bushes so it was like a wasp was in the car until I got this sorted!

Love it!

Sponsored by HKS

how do you find the coilovers for track use?

TBH, they are perfect for what I want. The quality of the damping for the road is very good and a good match for UK roads. On track I have to confess I didn't change the damping adjustment because I just wanted to get a feel of the car. I was running 10 clicks on the rear and 8 on the front, I believe there is 30 or so clicks. Car is very planted and handles poor quality road surfaces better than the HSD mono pros I had on my RX7. I think the only think you will get that is better are a set of Ohlins, but at a price!

2 minutes ago, dom2497 said:

TBH, they are perfect for what I want. The quality of the damping for the road is very good and a good match for UK roads. On track I have to confess I didn't change the damping adjustment because I just wanted to get a feel of the car. I was running 10 clicks on the rear and 8 on the front, I believe there is 30 or so clicks. Car is very planted and handles poor quality road surfaces better than the HSD mono pros I had on my RX7. I think the only think you will get that is better are a set of Ohlins, but at a price!

Agree'd I feel the 86 is hard on the road full stop. I think I might have found the limit of them at Rockingham. I feel like I was on the bump stops at the rear on one corner.

Please share how you stopped the parcel shelf rattling like crazy!

2 minutes ago, dom2497 said:  

Agree'd I feel the 86 is hard on the road full stop. I think I might have found the limit of them at Rockingham. I feel like I was on the bump stops at the rear on one corner.

Please share how you stopped the parcel shelf rattling like crazy!

I found a old pillow and took the wadding out of it, looks like white candy floss. Removed the rear parcel shelf and stuck it to the bottom and put it back in, you can also poke the wadding in through some of the holes from the boot.

Mine looked like this before I put it in

IMAG1140.jpg

Right finally got round to sorting out the rear brakes, ordering the disks ready for fitting. I have always been a red caliper man, was the same on all my other cars and I enjoy a bit of DIY so I stripped both front and rear brakes and gave them a lick of paint. While I was at it I refreshed the brake fluid and fitted speed bleeders as well.

I will let the pictures do the talking...

Rears

35011692881_aba776a324_b.jpg

34756015010_8264431261_b.jpg

Fronts

34332709783_2c2b54b715_b.jpg

35011706931_aaeb5ed145_b.jpg

(useful keeping old rubber brake lines + banjos when painting)

35142814395_077995a3b2_b.jpg

(Also fitted decals on the rear)

Finished!

35142833405_89f0d034ff_b.jpg2017-06-06_08-37-35 by Dominic Martino, on Flickr

Very nice.  How do you find the coilovers? 

Really like them, they did well on track as well. I don't find them crashy on the road either, bear in mind everything is poly bushed

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, dom2497 said:

Really like them, they did well on track as well. I don't find them crashy on the road either, bear in mind everything is poly bushed

Any idea how you have the damping set for road use?

I'm about to fit sti brembos on mine how much difference do they make, also what paint did you use on the calipers and how did you swap the bleeders one of my grub screws is properly stuck in. Car looks great mate!

I'm about to fit sti brembos on mine how much difference do they make, also what paint did you use on the calipers and how did you swap the bleeders one of my grub screws is properly stuck in. Car looks great mate!

Can't say fully as they have not bed in, used hammerite. Fronts where already done on mine I just painted them.

1 hour ago, dom2497 said:

About 10 clicks on the rear 6 on the front I think (from soft). There is 30 clicks in total.

Do you change this for track work?

1 hour ago, dom2497 said: About 10 clicks on the rear 6 on the front I think (from soft). There is 30 clicks in total.

Do you change this for track work?

Yeah, depending on the conditions. I ran 30-32 psi on track. I am running ps4 on the front and ps3 on the rear. Planning on doing another track day soon to learn some more. I will likey make the setup firmer overall but also try running the rear firmer than the front as I was getting understeer on corner exit. Take it you have seen the vid earlier on my thread?

Looking good, Dom. :)

Did you put some negative camber on the front and the rears? I do wonder if the lower spring rate on the rear (which is not like other setups) is a contributing factor here in the understeer. 

Looking good, Dom.

Did you put some negative camber on the front and the rears? I do wonder if the lower spring rate on the rear (which is not like other setups) is a contributing factor here in the understeer. 

Yeah running -1 on the front and rear. I have not looked into the spring rate. I think the car is running a fair amount of rake which is something I want to measure and understand. Tbh the car is pretty quick on track so I don't want to make any significant changes so I just tweak things and see how I go :)

The spring rate on the HKS setup is is 6kg front 4kg rear which is weird. Most other setups use 6/6jkg, or like I use 5/6kg. 1 degree is a bit conservative, I would say 2 degrees is better. 

I have driven your car years ago and I felt it was a bit too soft on the rear end like it would roll over itself a bit.