Sign in to follow this  
八六車

Android head units

Found myself tempted by the thought of the functionality an Android head unit can offer. Anyone with one already fitted in an 86 or experience / recommendations of good head units and what to look out for?

I have this bookmarked on my ever growing list of things I would like. Maybe if I start behaving myself and be a good boy, santa will buy me loads of stuff this year; all I got was socks last year. 

I booked marked it for a reason, I think I saw a video of it. Looked quite cool. 

You got something planned? 

I just looked at the one I linked, seems a bit silly actually. Why would I want to check my emails and play games, I would be driving! I think I had it bookmarked because it has OBD2 so if I could get some apps for it, can display on screen. 

I've got an XTRONS unit which works really well. It integrates most things I run on my Galaxy S7, with the exception of TomTom (I use Sygic instead). I run the Torque app with an OBD dongle too which is very flexible. It runs Android 4.4 and I use a 64Gb memory card to sup,event storage. It even has the Toyota logo on start-up.

My only gripe is it takes 30 seconds to start up, but for the price it's a good unit.

I have this bookmarked on my ever growing list of things I would like. Maybe if I start behaving myself and be a good boy, santa will buy me loads of stuff this year; all I got was socks last year. 

I booked marked it for a reason, I think I saw a video of it. Looked quite cool. 

I've got that exact one, the radio reception is crap but it's otherwise excellent. You'll need to buy a separate adapter cable for the radio aerial, the Xtrons part number for that is ICE/ACS/13-011.

28 minutes ago, DanJ said:

I've got that exact one, the radio reception is crap but it's otherwise excellent. You'll need to buy a separate adapter cable for the radio aerial, the Xtrons part number for that is ICE/ACS/13-011.

I've got one as well, my radio reception is ok when I've used it, but tend to listen to music off the SD card.

It won't pair with my bluetooth ODB adapter and am loathe to keep buying one until it will pair. They sell an own brand one but that doesn't appear to support auto power off and turning it on and off manually would get pretty old pretty fast.

It's not as flexible as the Android 4.4 ones I've had in other units, I've not found a way to use xposed to properly switch the music app out with poweramp. These two issues are kind of making me want to switch to something else, but there's only a few available in the proper size to fit the dash, so if I do swap may end up going generic double din with an adapter.

10 minutes ago, 八六車 said:

That looks like standard double din, you'd need a harness adapter, aerial adaptor and a fascia adaptor to fill the gaps in the dash.

This is probably the most established direct replacement : Joying Toyota Universal Headunit It has a decent processor, 2GB of memory and Joying are quite active with updates and development. It doesn't require any adaptors although it will be easier to install if you also order Joyings Toyota Hilux wiring Harness.

7 hours ago, Adam9 said:

This is probably the most established direct replacement : Joying Toyota Universal Headunit It has a decent processor, 2GB of memory and Joying are quite active with updates and development. It doesn't require any adaptors although it will be easier to install if you also order Joyings Toyota Hilux wiring Harness.

has an eject and dvd button but no dvd slot :lol:

Thanks for the info everyone, based on the cheap price of the eincar unit I've decided its with ago. Just need to pick up some harnesses and brackets for a double din unit and will see how it goes

2 hours ago, Tareim said:

has an eject and dvd button but no dvd slot :lol:

Not ideal but it's stable and supported which is more than most android units. Pick your compromise..

I agree, I've picked one up to play with and see if the audio quality is up to par, strangely my one has the CD slot but it's blanked off behind. It looks a little less odd but still a bit bizarre. The only saving grace is that with a bit of messing about you can re purpose the buttons for a different function.

On 17/03/2017 at 4:30 PM, Adam9 said:

I agree, I've picked one up to play with and see if the audio quality is up to par, strangely my one has the CD slot but it's blanked off behind. It looks a little less odd but still a bit bizarre. The only saving grace is that with a bit of messing about you can re purpose the buttons for a different function.

How long does it take to boot up? I'm totally put-off by the claim of 30 seconds above - I am in and out of my car quite a lot during the day so ideally don't want a delay more than the OEM. Thanks for info.

On a fresh boot it takes about the same time as the Toyota unit , maybe a couple of seconds longer. If you haven't left it alone for several days though it's instant on as it sleeps in a low power state rather than shutting down. Honestly i'm really impressed with it so far, it feels a bit too light compared to the Toyota unit when you first pick it up but now it's installed it all looks and more importantly sounds great.

Eincar unit installed, usb splitter cable used to add an extra connection in the glove box and keep the standard one functional for charging. No complaints with the unit itself so far after a couple off trial runs out (still getting it set up to my liking). Biggest issue was the mounting brackets where miles off and needed some work to make them fit (nothing a bit of cutting and drilling wouldn't fix)

IMG_20170324_214612.jpg