30 minutes ago, TTR said:

Well that's gotta be pretty fucking pointless :lol:

Does look cool though. 

How?

According to the poster it has rods, and they look like 40mm units, so I bet it spools seriously quick with the right trim blades!

Possibly more efficient than the Aussie twincharged one to boot.

23 minutes ago, Falix said:

How?

According to the poster it has rods, and they look like 40mm units, so I bet it spools seriously quick with the right trim blades!

Possibly more efficient than the Aussie twincharged one to boot.

Unnecessary added weight and complexity. Not to mention that each turbo would only have 2 exhaust ports to scavenge from. 

People wanted to get rid of the twin system in the late RX7s! Google the vacuum tubing diagram for a mere taste of the complexity!

I suppose the advantage of two smaller turbos is to flow as well as a double capacity turbo with lower inertia. It will also have pretty prompt response off what I hope are very short exhaust headers, rather than collecting 4-1 first. It's nicely packaged for sure!

Reddit points out no intercooler.

Unnecessary extra heat due to placement, no real advantage over a decent spec'd single turbo, like a twin scroll. For the cost of an extra turbine I would expect that getting a variable vane system operational would be a better solution. I can understand a twin setup if you run 2 banks of cylinders as you get the separation of the manifolds and more cylinders per turbine.

This is very much something done for the sake of it, not because it's optimal.

Then what's the point? I can understand two sizes to help minimise lag so one spools sooner than the other, and as mention, if you have separate intakes, a turbo per side..... What are the benefits of this system?

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

Besides swagger, you might get better lag behaviour because the pickup can be nearer the exhaust ports, i.e. short effective manifold length.

I can't easily find a straight answer on whether two half capacity turbos will have lower rotating inertia versus one full capacity turbo. Thermal efficiency might be higher for the smaller turbines, i.e. less total heat from the compression... so maybe your charge arrives cooler.... it's too complex to estimate without some proper reading and data, but I'm thinking it's marginal.

essentially you're treating it as 2x2cyl engines with a common crank, so the turbos must be sized for the optimum exhaust output of each bank.

I'd guess 2x smaller units have a better turbine angle that spool at a lower RPM and combined still deliver the same as a big single.

The main drawback aside from thermal efficiency and lack of charge cooling, is cost.

2 smaller units all plumbed is gonna be more than one bigger one.

I'd rather get a variable vane big blower myself, and run anti-lag if spool is a concern.