GT86Bob

Michelin Primacy HP vs 3

I was getting vague unconvincing answers when I asked suppliers for the difference between Primacy HP and Primacy 3 tyres, so I wrote to Michelin. This is what they said.

Thank you for contacting MICHELIN customer services.  

MICHELIN Primacy 3 is summer tyre for passenger cars and SUVs, introduced in 2012, it´s a development of MICHELIN Primacy HP that was launched in 2006 as a summer tyre for passenger cars only. Primacy 3 is an actual model, while Primacy HP is not being included in main product catalogues anymore and it might not be available in stock in some dimensions that it used to be produced in.

The main difference is that the Primacy 3 features newer technologies, like a new compound, then grooves are improved and sipes were numbered.

A tyre can consist of up to 16 different rubber compounds. However, the tyre manufacturers keep the exact composition to themselves. In order to make a good tyre, a lot is demanded of the rubber compound: low abrasion, tear-resistance, anti-slip properties, low rolling resistance, dynamic stability, air tightness and resistance to ageing. The tyre tread is made from this compound and the performance level of a tyre when driving essentially depends on this - in the wet, or in hot conditions, and when transferring lateral or linear power. The tread compound also partly determines mileage and noise properties.

MICHELIN Primacy 3

Fuel efficiency: C- A

Wet grip: B - A

Noise level: 68 - 71 dB

MICHELIN Primacy HP

Fuel efficiency: F - B

Wet grip: C - A

Noise level: 70 dB

I'm a little annoyed with my local Toyota dealer for having fitted two HPs to mine. Oh well, probably won't make too much difference when all's said and done. Quite a good response from Michelin though I think.

Bob

They don't last forever. Can be worn as quick as other tires .. if one goes to track, not just daily driving :)

As to OP case .. i'd prefer same tires on all corners. No matter which is better, which worse, but i wouldn't want to change front-rear grip balance just because of different tires fitted to car's ends. Though of course not that it matters much when not pushing car much.

Well yes, they don't last forever, but I had 14K miles out of my rears and 25K out of the fronts. With V105's I get similar out of the fronts and about 7K out of the rears in comparison. 

BTW, if you had square setup (at very least when using primacies), why not rotating to even out wear / get more out of one set / change it in one-go? I know that i got some 3-5 extra track days by doing that from stock primacy set and by then they all evenly started showing cord out of rubber, lol :D

As I said in the other thread, they seem to be the replacement. However, are these now available in 215/45/17? When I last checked they weren't as our A3 now runs these is a 16" fitment as a replacement for the HP. The difference is that no-where had the HP in the Audi's size and everywhere was stocking the 3. That lead me to believe that the 3 was being used for smaller, less sporty sizes. Maybe the 16" supplies cleared quicker as I would assume most eco boxes run 16" wheels. I guess it would make sense for the dealer to fit the HP as they are likely to just be using up stock.

FWIW I haven't noticed any difference on the A3, then again it's a numb car that I barely drive fast but it seems to grip a little better in the cold and damp. If you want something better than the HP I would just look for a different tyre.

5 hours ago, Subota Boy said:

Our C-HR comes with the Primacy3 on an 18" rim.  They don't seem to let go like the HP, and seem very suited to the dynamics of a crossover vehicle.

I bet the weight helps. The HPs seemed less lively on the A3, which I attributed to more weight especially over the driven wheels. It would be interesting to see the 3s on the 86, but for the money there are proven better tyres so it's going to be a rare choice.

Well after a 200 mile round trip, with lots of roundabouts, and still being less than 300 miles worn, I can confirm that the weight does seem to help.  The tyres were very progressive on a wet roundabout!  Very impressed, and very different from the HP.

On 3/6/2017 at 11:24 AM, Subota Boy said:

Well after a 200 mile round trip, with lots of roundabouts, and still being less than 300 miles worn, I can confirm that the weight does seem to help.  The tyres were very progressive on a wet roundabout!  Very impressed, and very different from the HP.

Any further thoughts as you have used the primacy 3s?

im looking for a tyre to replace the HPs with no more grip as I want to keep speeds down, but more progression would be welcome.

My comment in June 2017 related to our C-HR.  They are still the OEM tyre on the latest spec C-HR three years later and they still work really well.  I have no experience of the 3's on a GT86 I am afraid.