rob275

TAROX BBK Review so far

As some of you know I acquired a BBK kit from TAROX late last year for evaluation purposes. A stint of illnesses and other bits and bobs mean't that I got the kit fitted on just before the new year. Now that I've had it on for some time and have a trackday under my belt with them I can provide a well enough review to you all on the brakes and rotors.

So the kit they gave me was the 328mm Sport Compact brake kit which consists of the following

Red 6 pot TAROX Calipers, discs, pads and hardware to mount to the car. Braided hoses and all the nuts & bolts and boring bits!

Packaging was well enough! The box came with a dent in it but nothing was damaged and the whole kit was packed well enough to prevent and scratches or chips to the calipers. Being in one large box it obviously weighed a fair bit! Also came with a complimentary lanyard of course and a small booklet of all their kits.

IMG_20161026_163626.jpg

IMG_20161026_164029.jpg

Disc used is their F2000 single piece, obviously many think the grooves are pointless but lets not get in to a debate about them here!

IMG_20161026_165334.jpg

Their website states that their Sport Compact kit comes with the B280-6 or B30-6 Calipers usually. However the below suggests otherwise with the B32-6 Calipers instead. 

The one thing I do need to clarify with TAROX is what pad is used in the kit and I will post that up shortly when I get a response

Drawings of the Caliper can be found here: http://en.tarox.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/B32-6.pdf

Piston number
Disc Ø (min-max)
Disc thickness (min-max)
Disc Depth
Weight
Mounting Type
Lug offset
Minimum internal wheel Ø
Lug PCD
Knockoff Piston
Mounting Centres
Piston Layout (Diameter in mm)
Total area (both sides) cm²
Pad Code
Pad Area
Pad Choice
Pad Thickness
Pad Depth

290-330mm
10-30mm
60mm
2.2 kg
Lug
N/A
N/A
N/A
Optional
89mm
26/31/26
26/34/26
31/34/31
SP0239
80 cm²
.114/.501./116/.601
17mm
60mm

IMG_20161026_164916.jpg

IMG_20161026_164922.jpg

Daily Driving Usage

As a daily driver, I was sceptical about putting a BBK on as I didn't want all brake and nothing else, I didn't want the Girlfriends head flying through the windscreen whenever I approached a set of lights!

Safe to say that in these respects the brakes are probably somewhat tamer than the brakes they replaced which were DIXCEL ES Discs & Z Type Pads. The TAROX has a lesser initial bite and seem more progressive, i'm guessing these pads work better with a bit of heat in them (more on that later). The pedal feel however is improved with the braided lines and overall braking performance is definitely not decreased. They stop well in day to day traffic and handle fast road work just fine. Do not squeak which is an advantage. Dusting on the brakes is probably somewhat less than the DIXCEL pads but ultimately this isn't something that i particularly factor in when looking at a kit, if some of you do, they will dust more than stock but I guess lesser than some pads out there. 

Track Use

Hopefully one of many trackdays to test the brakes out I was at brands hatch in January to give them a better test, slightly hampered by both the weather and the black flag I incurred (not through my poor driving I might add) but never the less a good day.

As suspected the lesser initial bite was seemingly due to the pads working once they had a bit of heat in them. Probably more for the track biased then, but by no means a death trap on the road. It's worth noting i'm not 100% sure what pad it is. I shall find out for all though. 

They stopped well enough, it's all I can really say as they didn't particularly feel any better than my old discs and pads as the ABS would just kick in as it was an extremely wet and greasy track. I need to pencil myself in for a dry day clearly to compare properly. Brake fade was non existent, it wasn't on my previous discs and pads either but what I can say is they are an improvement over stock.

I'll give them another test in May and see how they do for now though, overall i'm happy with the performance of the kit and would recommend it, it's not the cheapest of BBK out there, but it's certainly not the most expensive.

IMG_20170108_160044.jpg

16252083_10154294842542006_4370800686288

Update 2 

I've not done much driving since, or nothing significant to warrant an update but the weather forecast was so good this weekend just gone that I felt the need to give the car a much needed wash and took a drive out to portsdown hill, squeezing in a few B roads of course as the A3 is dull as hell :). Portsdown hill was busy given the weather and the fact it was mothers day contributing. I was deprived of awesome photography opportunity but made do with the space I had. 

Perhaps if the Mrs got her arse out of bed earlier the day would have worked out better on that front and the sun would have been facing the right way!! :angry:

17546958_10154450116202006_1801807242852780506_o.jpg

17435862_10154450116197006_7027334260242998110_o.jpg

Safe to say that the brakes are great, they saved my bacon on the way down after hitting standstill traffic from xxx mph the car came to a perfect halt in what seemed like mere seconds :) Clearly a bit of warmer weather and dry tarmac is what was required to make them shine! Despite me not really being able to afford it, having driven the hybrid for a couple of weeks and going back to this yesterday for a drive it's got me all excited and i'm becoming increasingly vulnerable to the IABTSS (I Accidentally Booked TSS). Though I will only be going 

But over the course of the day braking was great, a lot more progressive than my previous brakes which is nicer for road driving but they still stop when putting your foot down that little bit harder.

Think i'll also be taking the car out for a trip to wales at some point in the coming months, I also wouldn't mind getting more pictures of the car without the stripe, it's growing on me! I think I prefer it?

Obligatory edit below to show off the brakes :D Though the spokes get in the way, when I get the rays on they will show better.

17546643_10154450116192006_3446029729058884799_o.jpg

Just seen this. Thanks for the review and update, I'm on the lookout/researching potential upgrade. Keep us updated.

I hope others can contribute to what they have and their thoughts. I noticed someone had AP Racing? 

Also do these fit with the standard 17" alloys? 

Brakes are really expensive :(

38 minutes ago, Cerastes said:

Brakes are really expensive :(

Do you track the car a lot? If not then you don't need a BBK.... All a BBK affords you is heat capacity.

Not many fit under the OEM wheels, the spoke to rim design isn't helpful in that regard.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19756