KobayashiMaru

Anyone Have This?

Save a few quid and buy the Blitz/Cusco kit and the HKS filter separately. £90 saved. I've got the Cosworth/Perrin style one which removes the sound tube, wasn't expecting it to do anything else but the butt dyno feels happier I have it, or it's a very good placebo to justify spending money.

1 minute ago, Steeps said:

Save a few quid and buy the Blitz/Cusco kit and the HKS filter separately. £90 saved. I've got the Cosworth/Perrin style one which removes the sound tube, wasn't expecting it to do anything else but the butt dyno feels happier I have it, or it's a very good placebo to justify spending money.

Got a link? Just ordered a filter. 

Honestly, save yourself over £150 and just get a silicon replacement hose. As a few have mentioned, it helps smooth the airflow, which makes for a slightly less "spiky" power delivery, but I would almost guarantee you wouldn't notice the difference unless you were looking for it.

Silicon one means you can choose the colour, which is a bonus considering it is, for the most part, a visual upgrade.

Imho about the only thing silicon intake hoses are good for - it's cleaner way for soundtube deletion/underbonnet space cleanup. Then again not sure it's worth the money. Smoother airflow? Doubt it's worth more then 1-2 ponies.

12 hours ago, Church said:

Imho about the only thing silicon intake hoses are good for - it's cleaner way for soundtube deletion/underbonnet space cleanup. Then again not sure it's worth the money. Smoother airflow? Doubt it's worth more then 1-2 ponies.

Sounds like you're both agreeing and disagreeing with me at the same time. Something lost in translation maybe? Smoother airflow isn't a guess, it's a fact. Look at a dyno comparison of the two (or more easily, just ask a tuner) and you'll see the difference, but as you rightly said, it's such a small difference, it's almost certainly not worth the money.

That being said, a silicon replacement can be picked up for around £50. Almost nothing worth that sort of money is gonna do much.

33 minutes ago, maurice said:

Apart from an air filter..

Air filter doesn't really "do" much, but there's no arguing with proven gains on a dyno, so for <£50 it's a no brainer purchase. I bet very few people would notice if their aftermarket panel filter was swapped with an OEM filter without them knowing. The car might feel/sound fractionally different, but very few people would instantly know their filter had been changed. So no, I stick by my point :) 

Changing filter apart from low price has another big plus: it's very easily completely reversible mod even by novices.

I agree on +5whp being too low for anyone to really notice by butt dyno, but given prices of airfilters it still is objectively THE best intake-exhaust mod by price/performancy. Yes, other bolt-on parts, like catless header and so on, may net more gains .. at 10x the price.

Actually imho aftermarket airfilter+OFT (or tactrix cable) with OTS tunes might be best choice for anyone, that wishes some gains with least efforts/spendings and car to still be easily reversible to stock status without requiring much efforts/skills/work/time. Gains are slight, but so are required investments (and from what i've seen, it's easy enough to resell used OFT gaining most of spendings back). And in countries with access to ethanol E85 gains are not just +10whp, but some +20whp. That, given costs, might be noticeable enough.

The problem with OFT here is that once imported, it comes out as pretty much the same price as an experienced UK tuner custom Ecutek tuning your car on a dyno. i.e. it doesn't look great value.

I do like how the stock map can be switched back without a trace of a remap though.

2 minutes ago, maurice said:

I do like how the stock map can be switched back without a trace of a remap though.

That seems very much the reasoning behind the ultra paranoid guys in the US. It's really a non issue with most of the dealers here.

The other advantage of the Tactrix/ROMraider is that you don't have to spend a fortune to tweak parameters on your car. For example simply rescaling your MAF for a new intake and removing the sonic boom cold start up would be worth it for some (£65 for the cable, software is free).

The other advantage of the Tactrix/ROMraider is that you don't have to spend a fortune to tweak parameters on your car. For example simply rescaling your MAF for a new intake and removing the sonic boom cold start up would be worth it for some (£65 for the cable, software is free).

Where can u get tactrix for £65???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 08/01/2017 at 1:04 AM, Cerastes said:

I really don't see the value in those hoses, they look cheap but yet cost £100+ 

Mishimoto one looks ok but still not worth the £££'s surely. 

You're best off keeping an eye out on the for sale section on the forums, thats the best place to snap one up. In fact I have a red Zeta Performance silicone intake hose up for sale soon...

On 07/01/2017 at 11:19 PM, Gringosteve said:

Where can u get tactrix for £65???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Google led me to this:

http://www.hobd2.com/wholesale/new-tactrix-openport-2-0-ecuflash.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAhs3DBRDmu-rVkuif0N8BEiQAWuUJr0Ve-7yG9Py8zk8lFY36pRZJZDWXmXO3yGnL-4caU-gaAp9c8P8HAQ

3 hours ago, Varelco said:

I doubt that's a genuine Tactrix OP2. There are plenty of Chinese copies around and there are risks involved. I've read before that you can only buy the real items from the Tactrix website, $170.