long-gone

Fault codes P0351 & P0352

11 hours ago, maurice said:

That's good to know it can be done without jacking up. Still, it would be nice if Toyota/Subaru could actually fix the design fault with them before owners have to start paying.

I've been bitten by a stupid part in a Subaru gearbox previously, some mastermind decided to save a couple yen by changing a metal cog inside the gearbox for a plastic part (cost £1) on my model year, that cost me a grand all-in for a full gearbox rebuild when it stripped out of warranty. 

There is an improved coilpack in use in the states. I would assume here too but this is a common picture I see on the 86 track cars group:

15338896_10154640351971071_5896942920943762133_n.jpg

spares.....

Does the engine itself misbehave when these fault codes appear? Could it be the ECU is being oversensitive rather than there being a definitive problem with the coilpack itself. Ideally we could do with knowing what the ECU is measuring to determine when a coilpack is unhealthy. My question is kind of reinforced when I read that people just live with the code up without any detrimental effects.

4 minutes ago, Varelco said:

Does the engine itself misbehave when these fault codes appear? Could it be the ECU is being oversensitive rather than there being a definitive problem with the coilpack itself. Ideally we could do with knowing what the ECU is measuring to determine when a coilpack is unhealthy. My question is kind of reinforced when I read that people just live with the code up without any detrimental effects.

swap them round and the fault goes away for 10k......

51 minutes ago, LordGrover said:

Is it only (or primarily) those with maps with increased rev-limiter?

Alec went through several coil packs on his old car and that was completely stock bar an air filter. Don't think anyone really knows what the exact cause is...

Just thought I'd add this here, Subaru TSB 07-120-17

Ignition Coils and Engine Harness- Design Changes to Address DTCs P0351, P0352, P0353 and / or P0354 This Service Information Bulletin announces design changes made to the ignition coil and engine wiring harness in response to a limited number of cases related to the ignition coil primary / secondary DTCs listed above. The changes involve a shape change to the harness connector on the coil and to the corresponding engine harness connector. A positive lock mechanism has also been added to the engine harness ignition coil connectors to reduce the chances of becoming disconnected and causing a driveability concern and / or DTC(s). Information contained in any technical document found on the STIS web site should only be used as reference material for highly trained automotive technicians. Only automotive technicians have the training and the special tools/equipment to repair Subaru vehicles. 07-120-17