ARC

GT86 Aero Located North Coast Of Scotland (Newbie)

Hi All,

Im a Newbie Introducing myself

3 weeks ago I got my first GT86 Aero 2015 model in White. 

Not had a dry day to mess in yet so seeing how loose that rear end is ....

Rear tyres are down to 3mm so wondering if to just get some new rubber in the form of some winter tyres. 

Any suggestions gratefully received. Where i live so far north, I need the winter tyres for low temperatures as well as wet roads most of the time. 

Im also interested in attending a meet some time, is there any that are Glasgow North? 

I am very lucky to be living on the 'Northcoast 500' road, well worth looking up as is the best roads for driving on with amazing scenery and challenging roads of all sorts.    http://www.northcoast500.com/  

i look forward to chatting to anyone and meeting up of you are doing the NC500. 

Best Wishes 

Anthony 

IMG_6415.jpg

IMG_6421.JPG

IMG_6428.JPG

Welcome aboard! I'd guess winter tyres are a good idea where you live. 3mm is getting a bit low for dealing with lots of rain. 

I will certainly give you a shout when I get round to doing the NC500 again. :)

There are some members based around your neck of the woods. If there is nothing going on, why not organise a social meet, I'm sure you'll get some attenders. :)

Thanks Lauren,  Ive never had LSD before and at slow speeds as im turning, the tyres are loosing traction. Even if Im turning in a car park or on gravel. Guessing its the LSD doing this .... possibly the tyres are not the best in the wet or on loose ground. Would be good to meet up with some like minded owners and compare notes.  Are they all GT86 owners?   NC 500 has so many places that you would possibly just drive past not knowing so much is just off the beaten track. Do get in touch if passing Scrabster. I Live next door to the lighthouse so easy to find lol. 

Welcome from Aberdeenshire, Red Aero owner here .  NC500 now a bit of a tourist attraction which is great for Scotland. A route I'm familiar with for many years. First time I did it completely would be back in 1987 in a Fiat Strada 130TC Abarth. 

Hi Deacon and Ian,

The Nokian WRA3's do seem to be very well rated.... thanks for the great advice, will try ordering up a set soon. They do look just what Im looking for. 

I was out Aberdeenshire way a month ago, went to Gardens Town and Pennan for a weekend. Love the NC 500, done it in many many good and bad cars and its always a thrill but also shows up many peoples bad driving and arrogance too. So many stunning places to stop off at and variety of fast open bends and challenging roads. It has got so much more busy since NC500 advertising has started. Was lovely to see lots of the magazines doing photo shoots in the nice places and even top gear when it was alive.

Any one welcome to stop on route if ever passing. Im next to the lighthouse in Scrabster right up on the north coast.  

Yip factory fit OZ and they look nice. Only moan is that the wheel bolts have rusted all round and look tatty. Need to go find some shinny new ones that dont corrode.   The black wheels against the white does look nice and saves you having to clean the wheels every 5 seconds :-) Im still trying to work out the hands free central locking on my Aero. Need to mess on a dry day to see what the drivers door can do. Does not seem to lock the car up using your thumb on the door handle. Certainly opens up the drivers door only. 

Perfect Cheers. Typical Man who wont read instructions .... Was waiting for a dry day when I could get out and mess. 

Welcome to the club, doors lock pressing the 3 lines on the handle as Lauren said and placing your hand on the handle will unlock it (the drivers door only from the factory) though this can be changed.

If you want it to unlock both doors then open your drivers side door and hold the lock and unlock buttons on the fob for around 5 seconds. 

Congrats and welcome to the club Anthony!  I did the north coast 500 run this year and it was awesome, very surprised that quite a few people pulled over to let us pass as well which was nice....though did get a finger from a cyclist at one point :P  I think what was supposed to be a 5 day trip got crammed down into 3 days so there was a serious amount of driving and not enough stopping off for the sights so next time, I'm sure we'll take it a lil more easy!

Any plans for the car at all?  Mods?  Trackdays etc?

Hey Keethos,

Many thanks for the message. There is soooooo many amazing places to stop off at on the NC500 you could do the trip 10 times and now see all the amazing spots.  I have had so many arrogant camper vans who refuse to pull over and let you past and coach driver another time. I have had numberous vehicles that wont reverse back once just passed their passing spot. But as you say there are the few that do let you past. 

My Aero is on PCP so no plans to do anything. I do love the Aero the way it is. If it was fully mine Id be tempted to uprate the brakes that look small in the 18 inch wheels. I also think that they feel the weak link on this car but maybe I just need some greenstuff pads put in. 

I would also love to add 2 12 inch subs to the boot and a louder set up up front. There are some stunning upgrades done to these cars but I love mine the way it is. 

As for Track days, Id love to just never managed to get one organised. I prefer to mess on the NC500 and pay for a B+B in different places. I would love to go on a skid pan to get used to the playful rear end which maybe a good idea lol Have you done much to your 86? 

Luckily I didn't have too many issues with camper vans and buses but they were about, main gripe was over the first couple of days we happened to be going in the opposite direction to the motorcyclists, then all of a sudden on the last day we get stuck behind loads of them who refused to pull over and actually insisted on almost getting in the way when trying to over take, driving slow as you like around the twisty bends and in long strings of them so over taking in short straights wasn't ideal. Was doing my nut in. Luckily there was 3 of us so when I finally managed to over take, I was able to walkie talkie to the other guys when it was clear even on blind turns which made if easier to overtake the buggers.

Having amazing roads to hoon around is always great but you'll never driver as hard or as committed as you potentially could on track, definitely worth giving it ago if you wish to take it to the next level. But just so you know, accidents can happen, regarding your question about how much I've done to my car, I created a build thread after the major mods started to happen, a bit long but hopefully a good read - http://gt86.org.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/1589-Keethos'-GT86-Journey-Back-To-Health-+-Mods

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

The bit that annoys me is, where are the police when these arrogant road users are on the road..... they are too busy catching speeders who are easy targets :-(  Got my first set of points this year.... Ive had motorbikes and 3.5 litre BMW and other fast cars. I get caught doing 84 in my old Aygo!!! smallest engined car Ive ever owned!!! Clear dry day with nothing else on the road. Police were hiding behind a mound of earth gggrrrrr 

I take your point on the track, would be so useful to do to get to know the car and get to know when the rear will break fre as just now its still comes as a bit of a surprise.... I know its going to happen just now quote when. 

Nice that your getting a chance to mod up your car but what happened to get the damage? :-(