tegunulgener

Weight of an alloy...

4 minutes ago, Deacon said:

Relatively cheap and light weight is possible though (fox fx005's being a good example) but agreed that generally light weight wheels will cost a lot more than slightly heavier ones.

Oh yeah, I totally agree. There are hundreds of options out there for cheap, decent quality and lightweight wheels. So much so, that it would sometimes be cheaper to have 2 sets of wheels (one for track, one for road) if you were only concerned about weight for track, and looks for road.

I'm mostly concerned about looks for road, and I'm fairly certain I'm not ruining my car for the road by running 10kg wheels, but on the flipside, if I were competitive in TSS or something, I'd consider a second set.

Let's be honest. Tyres make far more difference than weight. Most of the high end tyres are heavy with steel mesh in the sidewalls. Sure every little counts when you are racing, but most people will get more from some driver training than worrying about a extra kg of unsprung. I'm not going to lie, part of my wheel choice was the lightness of them (took me 4 months to get them from canada) because I'm a bit anal about stuff.

I think although my wheels are 2kg lighter than stock, my tyres are heavier than the primacies so overall they weight about the same or possibly a tad more. I can't say I noticed the interia from moving the weight further out tbh.

On 11/11/2016 at 12:05 PM, Rich said:

If money is no object a set of TWS T66-Fs will give you more or less the lightest wheel money can buy. 6.7 kg for 18x8s!

This gave me a heart attack when I looked at the price 

Normal price for high-end forged wheel. Most first tier forged wheel manufacturers price theirs similar. Volks will cost similar, i don't think that some TE-37/ZE40/CN28 will cost less. And if it's lowest weight about, TWS T66-F of 16x7 size weight 4.82kg (17x8 6.32kg).

30 minutes ago, Church said:

Normal price for high-end forged wheel. Most first tier forged wheel manufacturers price theirs similar. Volks will cost similar, i don't think that some TE-37/ZE40/CN28 will cost less. And if it's lowest weight about, TWS T66-F of 16x7 size weight 4.82kg (17x8 6.32kg).

Yeah forges isn’t for me then not this time😂

Forged might be reasonable option if one stumbles upon classified of used ones at good price. I know that i got mine this way and i would never be willing pay full price of new :)

The weight of the tyre is higher and it is more at the outside of the wheel than the rim so it will have a much higher impact on rotational inertia.

I sometimes switch between light 16 inch wheels and heavier 17 inch and it clearly feels different, but most of the difference is irrelevant: because the gyroscopic effect is heavier turning the wheel is heavier. Only, that effect can easily be tuned by tuning the servo. I do have the feeling that road contact is better on bad backroads but again there are multiple factors: more sidewall also means more flex and this also improves road contact(at the expense of precision). It is pretty hard for me to isolate the weight-rebound factor from the rest.