S18 RSG

Taking the FI plunge

So this week I decided to seriously consider how plausible it would be for me to start making arrangements for forced induction. I don't feel like trying to squeeze it in before Christmas, but perhaps over the Christmas break (if anyone is available to fit it) or the start of January will be the time.

Realistically, I'm hoping to keep costs below £5k, inclusive of fitting, mapping etc. Just wondered what kits are available for that price?

I've narrowed the choices down to HKS, Sprintex, Harrop or Cosworth (or any similar kits, open to suggestion). HKS and Sprintex because the cost of those kits is much more appealing. Harrop and Cosworth due to the drivability, having now experienced both. Seems like the Harrop kit is closer to £6k including fitting, which is achievable, but for once I want to stick to my budget rather than keep throwing money at it.

Would appreciate any input from those who've shopped around before me, and if any dealers read this and want to PM me prices (bearing in mind that I already have an ECUTEK license), that would be great also.

Would you not consider fitting yourself? The 3 PD kits are relatively simple if you can turn your hand at it. Sprintex "drivability" will be similar to the Cossie and Harrop as it's a similar torque curve, plus whine +++. Obviously the TVS based kits are a little better if you're likely to take it to track, if not then maybe the extra cost isn't worthwhile. HKS is the only centrifugal blower you mention and is more work to install. Slightly different torque curve so decide if that's what you'd be happy with.

Just mp 2p worth, but fitting a supercharger + mapping leaves you one option...... Abbey Motorsports. You'd know I would say that but seeing as you've got a good relationship with Mark it would make more sense anyway.

bear in mind the hks kits will have increased in price now due to the exchange rates, the websites you have looked at might not have updated their prices yet

17 minutes ago, knightryder said:

Would you not consider fitting yourself? The 3 PD kits are relatively simple if you can turn your hand at it. Sprintex "drivability" will be similar to the Cossie and Harrop as it's a similar torque curve, plus whine +++. Obviously the TVS based kits are a little better if you're likely to take it to track, if not then maybe the extra cost isn't worthwhile. HKS is the only centrifugal blower you mention and is more work to install. Slightly different torque curve so decide if that's what you'd be happy with.

Just mp 2p worth, but fitting a supercharger + mapping leaves you one option...... Abbey Motorsports. You'd know I would say that but seeing as you've got a good relationship with Mark it would make more sense anyway.

I would love to fit the kit myself, would be good fun. My problem is, having the space to do it. My garage opens out to a fairly busy road in a residential area, so not really any room to work.

I've already been in contact with Mark with regards to the Harrop kit, just waiting to hear back on prices etc.

One thing I didn't consider, mostly because of my own ignorance, was the turbo options. I didn't realise, for example, the TD turbo kit is so reasonably priced, and having heard feedback from various people who went in it at the meet a few months back, it seems like a potential alternative. 

17 minutes ago, LordGrover said:

Have you noticed this topic?

I did, and to be honest it was one of the reasons I started looking again today. Great price, but I'd prefer to buy new for the main reason of aftercare. If something goes wrong, I want someone to be on the end of the phone who knows the install and the kit front to back, and can replace parts under warranty should anything fail.

Aside from that, I won't be in a position to have £3k spare by the time that kit sells :/

3 minutes ago, will300 said:

You can buy my Harrop slot off me. 

Why aren't you considering the TD kit or do you specifically want a supercharger?

I am considering TD, I wrote it in my first reply :P

I had a conversation with Mike in PM's, and unless someone contacts me offering another choice for £3,500 or less, then I'm going with them. I didn't realise TD's kit was so well priced.

31 minutes ago, will300 said:

You can buy my Harrop slot off me. 

Why aren't you considering the TD kit or do you specifically want a supercharger?

Are you not having the Harrop anymore? :(

Are you not having the Harrop anymore? 

Yes but I'm not really bothered about FI atm. I kind of wish I hadn't spent the cash lol. I'm sure my mind will change when its fitted.

13 minutes ago, LordGrover said:

Have you had a ride in Mike's (brother's) demo car? It's hilarious what with the screamer pipe. Quick too.

Nope, not had a ride in a TD car yet. As soon as I have chance I'm gonna pop up and see Mike, and hopefully pop in and see Mark on the way too, so I get to experience a demo car and a customer car.

4 hours ago, S18 RSG said:

One thing I didn't consider, mostly because of my own ignorance, was the turbo options. I didn't realise, for example, the TD turbo kit is so reasonably priced, and having heard feedback from various people who went in it at the meet a few months back, it seems like a potential alternative. 

Not all FI is equal. I had a go in one of the original halo AVO cars. While it was fast, I prefer the supercharger. Some love the torque shove when a turbo comes on boost, I prefer a linear power delivery.

2 minutes ago, knightryder said:

Not all FI is equal. I had a go in one of the original halo AVO cars. While it was fast, I prefer the supercharger. Some love the torque shove when a turbo comes on boost, I prefer a linear power delivery.

One of the main things I was told by people who tested the TD car is how linear the power delivery was.

In fact, doing some research today suggests that would be the case. They run really low boost on their turbo kit, so the package seems to be more reliant on tuning and a combination of parts, rather than just boost.

Need to try it myself, obviously, but I've heard nothing bad.

I've sat in TD's car, and I have to say it was a blast to be in the passenger's seat! The torque was linear, but definitely feel the turbo boost when it comes on around 2.5k - 3k revs (iirc). While I've not tried a SC 86 yet, so I can't really make a comparison, but what I do know is the TD turbo was a lot of fun :)

I too have had the privilege of being passenger in TD's 86. Like people are saying the power is nice and linear. It pulls hard right the way through to red line and in all gears. The delivery is very smooth unlike some turbo's I've be been in. Not forgetting how cool the turbo flutters are! 

I know where I'm going when I bite the bullet on FI.

I also was impressed by the TD turbo. The best compliment I can pay it is that it felt like a factory installation.

Very reminiscent of the Saab Turbos I've owned. Shove all the way through the rev range.

Impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, S18 RSG said:

One of the main things I was told by people who tested the TD car is how linear the power delivery was.

In fact, doing some research today suggests that would be the case. They run really low boost on their turbo kit, so the package seems to be more reliant on tuning and a combination of parts, rather than just boost.

Need to try it myself, obviously, but I've heard nothing bad.

Are you interested in power numbers - e.i have a power goal in mind?

are you going to be taking it on track?

I have a harrop, which I can highly recommend, but not cheap (I've not driven any other FI 86 either)

If you do intend to track the car and you push the car then Id think very carefully about the turbo kit you choose.

Few concerns I'd have with a turbo mounted that high:

1) other turbo kits with the turbo located where it is have trouble with getting a bit hot and melting plastic buts in close proximity to both the turbo and the exhaust manifold.

2) what are IATs like are after trashing around a track for 30minutes? Sure it can be made safe but if its going to lose a significant portion of its power at the track you'd want to know about it before purchase.

17 hours ago, Ade said:

If you do intend to track the car and you push the car then Id think very carefully about the turbo kit you choose.

Few concerns I'd have with a turbo mounted that high:

1) other turbo kits with the turbo located where it is have trouble with getting a bit hot and melting plastic buts in close proximity to both the turbo and the exhaust manifold.

2) what are IATs like are after trashing around a track for 30minutes? Sure it can be made safe but if its going to lose a significant portion of its power at the track you'd want to know about it before purchase.

Hi Ade,

We've no issues with melting things around the turbo area. We do wrap the downpipe (or ceramic coat for those that request it) and also use a turbo jacket/blanket. This does an excellent job of managing heat around the turbo.

IATs have not become a concern for us at this stage. Customers can buy the stage 1 kit currently which runs just 5psi. IATs on the dyno, the road or the track have never raised alarms. We do run 8psi on our own car currently but that is only on our car at this moment in time. We've tailored the boost/torque curve at the higher boost level to 270lb.ft (versus 240lb.ft at 5psi) which from the open days we've done is less torque than some other setups we've seen on stock motors. What we haven't ran on our machine yet is a Cosworth or Harrop setup, would like to do so to get some data/feedback on those also, if you're ever in the area... :) 

Thanks

Mike

1 hour ago, Mike@TD.co.uk said:

Hi Ade,

We've no issues with melting things around the turbo area. We do wrap the downpipe (or ceramic coat for those that request it) and also use a turbo jacket/blanket. This does an excellent job of managing heat around the turbo.

IATs have not become a concern for us at this stage. Customers can buy the stage 1 kit currently which runs just 5psi. IATs on the dyno, the road or the track have never raised alarms. We do run 8psi on our own car currently but that is only on our car at this moment in time. We've tailored the boost/torque curve at the higher boost level to 270lb.ft (versus 240lb.ft at 5psi) which from the open days we've done is less torque than some other setups we've seen on stock motors. What we haven't ran on our machine yet is a Cosworth or Harrop setup, would like to do so to get some data/feedback on those also, if you're ever in the area... :) 

Thanks

Mike

What IATs are you seeing?