Sign in to follow this  
86-Rich

Engine coolant

Hi guys I brought my gt86 with just 2000 miles on the clock it's a 65 plate,the coolant when I brought it was on the max level,now 6 months later I noticed its dropped to just below half,should this be happening? Do they use a bit of coolant or could this be a possible problem? Thanks in advance 👍

I found this on mine after the first 2000 miles/around 6 months. I remember looking it up at the time as i thought it was strange but it doesn't seem uncommon with a few owners reporting it. IIRC it's quite a specific coolant and best bet to get it from a dealers which is around £16

I've not noticed yet in the 86 but my Impreza seemed to use a bit, seems to be a Subaru thing.

I found with the Impreza the coolant level wasn't an exact science, if I remember correctly the level was much higher when hot than cold.

Remember coolant is 50% water anyway so as the coolant capacity is something around 8 litres, adding a couple hundred ml of water isn't going to do it any harm if it's only slightly low.

cheers guys will have to keep a eye on it,i doubt its anything to worry about,i had celicas for the last ten years,and my gen 7 celica had to have a new water pump as they are prone to it,dont know if the 86 suffers same problem,will just check it regular and keep a eye 

8 hours ago, maurice said:

Remember coolant is 50% water anyway so as the coolant capacity is something around 8 litres, adding a couple hundred ml of water isn't going to do it any harm if it's only slightly low.

I wouldn't advise ever adding water given the life expectancy of the coolant is 8 years/160K. 

I have mine topped up when it's serviced if necessary. But IIRC it's only been topped up once, maybe twice in 90K miles. 

Just now, knightryder said:

.... so long as you're using distilled water, then I guess it's OK. Otherwise, just top up with Subaru Blue SLLC.

Is there a need for distilled water? Most garages just use normal tap water and they never have any problem?

I did some sums elsewhere on the internet. If you live in a hard water area and doggedly change your whole coolant every year for three years with tap water and additive, you'd end up with significant scaling in the radiator as well as increased galvanic corrosion. After a bunch more years you'd probably start seeing radiator leaks, loss of cooling and so on. That's why you're recommended to stick to distilled or deionised water.

That said, a few tens of millilitres of tap water won't lead to catastrophe. I suppose you might introduce algae or similar which could lead to sludge in the system if it was able to survive.

My last car lost coolant slowly due to a faulty pressure cap, but I'm not sure we all have faulty caps.