Can anyone in the know offer some advice please.

I have recently tried purchasing a gt86 from a very reputable toyota dealer in the stockport area.

A price for the car and finance has been agreed and sigend for. On collecting the car today the sales manager has noticed a clerical error.  

The finance has been calculated and agreed on a mileage lower then the actual mileage of the car.

This means their books are £800 or £20 per month out and they are now trying to amend the order forms and charge us the additional  monies they stand to lose.

I think I'm within my rights to stand firm saying your error your loss.

Can someone confirm my theory or educate me regarding the contracts we sign when ordering a car.

If you've already signed paperwork, you're completely within your right to refuse a further increase, providing of course, that the contract you signed didn't state something along the lines of "this is subject to change".

If they want a sale, £800 isn't exactly the end of the world. They're making good enough money from your with the finance as it is.

IANAL - contracts are generally binding unless they have illegal terms, or go to unusual lengths to obscure their implications. The burden was on them (and you of course) to ensure the correctness of the contract prior to offering it to you.

The contract itself is critical here. Does <Stockport franchise> reserve the right to make reasonable alterations prior to completion, or to annul it without cause before first payment.

You're welcome to hold your ground but they're likely to withdraw the contract themselves if they can't bear the loss and have a way out. If you consider them in breach of their contract with you, the best outcome you're likely to get is freedom from the contract without penalty, as no damage has been incurred and you are the weaker party.

That's my view at least. Contract law is messy, but consumer protection is a big deal too.

Had a similar situation when we bought a new Renault Scenic (don't say a word, we had our reasons) we signed a contract that said the loan was interest free over three years, when we went to pick up the car they said there had been a mistake and the loan could only be interest free over two years, we stood our ground and they had to back down. You need to be forceful in these situations, I'd hazard a guess that you'll get your way. 

Goodd luck.

Your right chelseablue.  It's time to be more forceful.  We have been nice even willing to split the difference with them.  

Spoke to a friend who works at a better dealership in Macclesfield so we know we are in the right.

Nah - stand your ground. Providing you're prepared to walk away.

I would, for what it's worth. If they won't take their mistake on the chin for the sake of customer service not sure I'd want to deal with them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Seb @ RRG Bury said:

I work for the same group so I'm reluctant to say anything regarding your current deal but feel free to pm me if you need any help! 

Cheers seb.

I'm at the point of getting Aaron B involved as it's dragging out now. 

Had to swap the insurance and tax back all incurring administration fees.  Funniest is stockport had set up the roadside assistance which must have cost them to do.

Hi seb.

Yeah we got an involved and after plenty of letters we have sacked stockport off bought a better gt86 from Denton with a unique leather interior and better spec then the stockport car for less money.  Even better is this car has only covered 6000 miles so it's like new.  Claire is very happy.  I checked your website you didn't have an 86 in for us otherwise we would have come for a visit