surrey86

Brake cooling ducts

I stole an idea from the FT86 forums of using Porsche GT3 brake cooling ducts on our cars.

It's a very cheap way of getting extra brake cooling and has been proven to lower temperatures.

The oem Porsche parts are being sold for £25 on ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201600599082

There is a bit of modification needed, and I'd say about 4 fairly beefy tie wraps per side to make them a secure fit.

Control arm before:

DSC_0257.JPG

The duct as it arrives:

DSC_0258.JPG

-Cut along the green lines with a sharp stanley knife,

-Drill the holes marked with green circles

-Attach to the control arm with tie-wraps at marked points

DSC_0258CuttingTemplate.png

Pic of it attached (minus two tie-wraps on the middle loops I added later)

DSC_0263.JPG

Frontal profile:

DSC_0266.JPG

10 minutes ago, knightryder said:

Didn't need to modify mine. Also, those look to be mounted differently to how I remember.

Nope didn't need to modify mine either - been on for a good 6 months plus.

I see yeah, so you've got the whole unit further from the caliper. (and drilled holes)

Good to know for anyone else fitting you need to make holes regardless of placement.

I went for getting the duct surface flush with the arm without sticky-out bits for better airflow but I can see if you want to save a bit of time that works aswell.

I didn't even drill holes, used 4 cable ties per side using the brackets own holes. It's not going to impact flow that much seeing as these are more of an air guide than air ducts. I did try and bend all plastic behind the arms as best I could though, sits flush.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I’ve just bought a set of these from: https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod128126/Porsche-997-Brake-Duct-Air-Scoop-99734148392-99734148492/

Only £15 for the set and they were delivered within two days. 

Hopefully going to fit them in the next week but I wonder if anyone had anymore pictures of them fitted without chopping them up. Just trying to avoid removing material and placing them in the optimal position.

13 hours ago, Luke said:

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I’ve just bought a set of these from: https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod128126/Porsche-997-Brake-Duct-Air-Scoop-99734148392-99734148492/

Only £15 for the set and they were delivered within two days. 

Hopefully going to fit them in the next week but I wonder if anyone had anymore pictures of them fitted without chopping them up. Just trying to avoid removing material and placing them in the optimal position.

50463597696_4e1c25e26b_k.jpgIMAG4092 by Richard Beale, on Flickr

I trimmed them to fit round the bottle of the calliper or ball joint hard to tell in this pic can I have been to sleep many times and forgotten, also removed backing plates.

Did make a descent difference, and for the cost its a no brainer.