sids247

Front wheel bearing

Looking for driver side front wheel bearing.. Anyone know where I can get one from? Apparently it's different from a brz front wheel bearing and you can only get it from dealer.

thanks

11 hours ago, sids247 said:

Looking for driver side front wheel bearing.. Anyone know where I can get one from? Apparently it's different from a brz front wheel bearing and you can only get it from dealer.

thanks

I've literally just changed my front passenger bearing/hub assembly.

I searched around and a few vendors tried to sell me the wrong part. I ended up getting it from a dealer. Needs to have an ABS ring. 

Why would the BRZ one be different? Its a subaru (mostly) anyway. 

Removing it was fun...I had to resort to the trusty sledge hammer.....

Imho dealership bit is redundant once one finds out right part number. With that one can search online to try to get prices down.

BTW, is BRZ bearing REALLY different or just part numbers (for same part)? Most parts are completely same, yeah, they have different part numbers @Subaru and @Toyota parts inventory systems, but they certainly should be same? IIRC only things BRZ had different were slightly different spring rates, front bumper/lights and badges, selectable colors for paint, and of course audio HU and silver inner panels instead of false CF ones in GT/FR-S, no? :)

15 minutes ago, LordGrover said:

Off topic, apols. How many miles? Are they wearing 'quickly'?

Mien has about 13k miles on it. I hit a pot hole at a trackday. It was fairly violet as it was under braking. 

There are reports of people having to replace bearings at ~10k miles though and they claim they never hit any pot holes of mistreated the car ect...

17 minutes ago, Church said:

Imho dealership bit is redundant once one finds out right part number. With that one can search online to try to get prices down.

BTW, is BRZ bearing REALLY different or just part numbers (for same part)? Most parts are completely same, yeah, they have different part numbers @Subaru and @Toyota parts inventory systems, but they certainly should be same? IIRC only things BRZ had different were slightly different spring rates, front bumper/lights and badges, selectable colors for paint, and of course audio HU and silver inner panels instead of false CF ones in GT/FR-S, no? :)

That's the problem, there arnt any part numbers from a quick google. As I said when I contacted two different vendors they tried to sell me SNR part R181.19 which will fit, by is the incorrect part. 

Anyone who puts spacers on or drastically changes the offset are likely to get through wheel bearings much quicker, the increased moment arm puts the loads up significantly. For bearings it's a cubic relationship of life vs load, double the load equals 7/8 life reduction!

So even a ten or fifteen percent increase in moment arm length is significant.

20 hours ago, LordGrover said:

Off topic, apols. How many miles? Are they wearing 'quickly'?

It's very difficult to say with a sample size of one. I've done over 90K. Still on original wheels bearings, bushes, balljoints etc. 

13 hours ago, DanJ said:

Anyone who puts spacers on or drastically changes the offset are likely to get through wheel bearings much quicker, the increased moment arm puts the loads up significantly. For bearings it's a cubic relationship of life vs load, double the load equals 7/8 life reduction!

So even a ten or fifteen percent increase in moment arm length is significant.

The offset was a concern for me but there are lots of people stateside running +35 offset that arnt going through wheel bearings in 12k miles and a few trackda. One example is CSG_mike who is very fast (holds lap records at a few circuits) and tracks the car more than once a week (he's a test driver for CSG) and hasn't had a problem with wheel bearings on 17*9 et35 enkies and running slicks!. He specifically made a point that he goes through wheel bearings on his S2000 every year with stock offset. 

I hope my failure was down to to hitting the pot hole. It was quite violent, I think I remember saying to you I was surprise the rim didnt get bent! However it is also the side that gets loaded the most at the track.... time will tell how long the others last. 

Mine is on 14k, though has done a lot of trackdays, and my friends garage has said it could do with front bearings but not urgent. Will see what Abbey say when it's down there. 

Hey Guys n Gals,

Just changed all the discs/pads on my car and noticed for the first time that both the front hubs dont really spin that freely (Or rather not as freely as I would have expected them to).

They sound a little rough when you turn them by hand (Sounds like new pad rubbing against new disc, but this is before I've even put the discs/pads back in). Is this normal?

Rear's seem to spin a lot more freely.

My car is a 2014 with 20k on the clock. Used purely for track days, so would expect the wear on them to be greater that 20k miles of regular driving.

Needs to go into Toyota in July for a service so im wondering whether or not to get them to fit me two new front bearings whilst they have it in.

Cheers!

Leeky

You'll know if a wheel bearing is going as it will hum as your speed increases. It is quite subtle though. 20K is nothing though, I've had one go at 110K miles. 

40 minutes ago, Lauren said:

You'll know if a wheel bearing is going as it will hum as your speed increases. It is quite subtle though. 20K is nothing though, I've had one go at 110K miles. 

Yeah this is the thing; i’ve not heard anything whilst driving the car that has ever made me suspect anything is wrong with the front bearings. Just noticed when i got the disc and pads out that the front hubs don't spin like I expected them to.

I guess thats just the way they are :)