will300

Will300's Subaru BRZ Build

Supercharger has been cancelled due to Harrop having a supply issue at the moment. I want to thank Mark@Abbey for all his help with my questions and purchase process. 

I've therefore decided to stay N/A for the immediate future and will have some small updates soon.

23 hours ago, don said:

Car looks really nice on the 949Racing wheels. Mind if i ask where you bought them from?

@don I got them from Tegiwa: here. Although they were abit cheaper when I bought them. 

As its now 2017 its time for an update on my build, but first I'm going to start off by wishing everyone a Happy New Year.

Anyway back to the car, I'd originally planned to go supercharged at the end of last year, however due to a supply issue I cancelled this after a couple of months.

I then spent a couple of day thinking about what to do instead of the supercharger, I decided to stay N/A and purchase some more modifications. First on the list was a big brake kit as I've always felt the brakes on the car were lacking some stopping power. This provided a substantial challenge in deciding what kit to go for, after spending considerable time looking at the various options available I came to the conclusion that none of the existing setups matched my exact needs. After discussing this with @Ade he suggested I contact a company called Reyland Motorsport who make custom big brake kits. Over the following week I exchanged several emails with Reyland and we came up with a kit which meet my needs. 

The custom kit I ended up with consists of red AP Racing CP9200 calipers, AP Racing 330x28mm discs with custom hats, brackets and Ferodo DS2500 pads. Here are some photo's of the kit:

IMG_3939.jpg.3e589abc8abdd5b23d08119a759f5592.jpg

IMG_3941.jpg.7d22a745e361f6a9e71a6dc17bdef306.jpg

IMG_3943.thumb.jpg.a79eae14fc702de7f233b32e4d09b741.jpg

Fitted to the car:

BRZ_Build_17_2.thumb.jpg.6f6f2a9334e827e861a23422979ce8f8.jpg

BRZ_Build_17_3.thumb.jpg.86f3055b1a6a115a7753fa0448efa1ad.jpg

I also decided to upgrade the rear disc's to match the grooved fronts, so I selected Stoptech grooved rear discs.

BRZ_Build_17_4.thumb.jpg.0260b73b4a3f554380693998d3d1718c.jpg

I still need to bed the brakes in, but they feel much better already. (Once I'm back on summer tyres that will help the bed in process massively)

The next mod I purchased was a Perrin 3" Cold Air Intake system with silicone intake tube, thanks to @James@Amber for providing this. 

BRZ_Build_17_1.thumb.jpg.597ecb82dd65e1c1364529e72a4db49f.jpg

I also purchased MTEC shift and clutch springs. In my opinion the shift springs are fantastic, a definite must for our cars. However I don't really like the change in feel of the clutch spring.

The final mods I ordered were a HKS resonated decat pipe and Powerflex front and rear subframe bushes. I decided against fitting the decat pipe due to the extra noise it'd produce (This will be put up for sale soon). 

Finally due to the change in intake I needed to get the car remapped again, this time I decided to get the car dyno mapped by Tuning Developments. 

Here is the before and after dyno graph:

59a1c7d334f26_ACE-TDRemap.thumb.jpg.8db84e49539adb14fa97ae23c15485e8.jpg

As you can see @Mike@TD.co.uk managed to smooth out the mid range and get a little bit more power at the top end. 

One last comment, @Keethos thank you for providing the transport to and from TD.

For anyone interested the BBK cost me £1800 as I went for red calipers and AP discs. 

However you can buy a similar setup but with black calipers and Reylands own rotors for around £1500 to £1600.

52 minutes ago, shiftspark said:

Brakes look epic and good results from intake mods. Need a sound clip now though!

That's probably due to the exhaust manifold being properly mapped. I'd expect little gain from the intake.

11 hours ago, knightryder said:

That's probably due to the exhaust manifold being properly mapped. I'd expect little gain from the intake.

The intake gains you about 5whp according to Perrin:

http://blog.perrinperformance.com/3-0-brzfr-s-intake-dyno-results/

@will300 you wont be sorry with those brakes and definitely the right choice using the AP racing discs. Last time I spoke to Martin their blanks were straight vaned which wont cool as well as the AP discs and likely more prone to warp/crack. 

8 hours ago, Rich said:

What is the difference with the clutch spring?

It's supposed to do this: This item will increase the feel in the clutch pedal and give a more motorsports like feel to the return of the clutch pedal to stock position.

It made it stiffer but the return feels spongy to me, which I don't like.

Yea I keep thinking about just removing my spring altogether and seeing what that's like. I've read of people doing that and liking it, might not be the best if you sit in lots of traffic though.

When I ordered the BBK I wasn't too sure if it would clear my summer set of wheel's, the 949 Racing wheels.

So today I decided to check and make sure. Well good news I they do with loads of room, so I don't need to buy a new set.

Some pictures of the clearance:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

1 hour ago, Bfranklyn86 said:

Do you and Kieth both have stock mid pipes and cats?

My reply above is assuming you meant the stock second cat pipe. If you mean the centre pipe too then Keith has the resonated cobra one and Will's is the avo one (which I'm pretty sure is resonated too).

@Bfranklyn86 myself and Keith only have 1 cat now, there are no cat's in either of our exhaust manifold. I retained the stock 2nd cat (front pipe) and Keith has a Berk high flow cat front pipe. 

Also my exhaust is non-resonated, however the AVO has a lot larger rear box / silencer compared to the Cobra. 

As I'm sure most of you are aware several members of the club attended a Javelin trackday at Oulton Park last week. This was my first track day of 2017 and the first time I've been to Oulton Park. I was fairly apprehensive to begin with as the track was fairly wet, however after doing the sighting laps the apprehension soon disappeared. During the morning session the track started to dry fairly quickly, however there were several short showers which stopped the track drying out completely. I was fairly lucky in that I timed most of my sessions in between the rain showers. 

However I'd booked instruction which was allocated to me just before the lunch break, this was when it started to rain really bad. Myself and the instructor had a chat for 5minutes before the rain died down enough to go out, it was still raining for the entire tuition session. This actually turned out to be my best session, not once did I feel like I wasn't in control of the car and the instructor helped massively. Its funny when I think back as I didn't want to do a wet track day but it was bloody brilliant in the end. 

As for the car, well it performed flawlessly. I tried to keep my time out on track limited as I had no idea what was happening with my oil temps. So I did around 8 to 10 laps per session. I can say without a doubt the AP Racing BBK made a large improvement over the stock brakes, normally I'd find after a few laps the stopping capability would deteriorate quite quickly, with the BBK I didn't have any issues and I'd happily do 15+ laps on them. Also worth a mention is my current choice of tyre, I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport 4's in 225/45/17. The grip these provided on the damp track was very impressive, I was easily one of the faster cars on the track during the morning. In the afternoon the track dried out enough to level the field out so I wasn't quite as fast compared to everyone else. 

My future upgrades will now consist of fitting the HEL oil cooler I've got & buying a bucket seat. After those I'll have one hell of a decent track car. :D ... Oh an do more track days.

Here are some photo's from the day, including an oh shit moment when my bonnet catch came lose half way around the track. 

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.jpg

5.JPG

6.JPG