undercharged

Rat86: yay or nay?

Since I'm still alive, I'll post ^^ to the original thread subject, the 'rat' or run down look only works as most have said on older cars 1970's and beyond not so much... just looks more like a banger than anything else and yeh reselling would never happen, mad max style better off getting an old run down Mustang and modifying it and rebuilding it yourself then going for that look.

As for car materials I can 'doubly' confirm that the bonnet is ally, the rest of the car is generally steel, (was chatting to RRG recently regarding a mod I'm pondering)

As for keethos, never saw your original car, daaaamn but better choice going for yellow and black looks nicer from above :P 

It's been quite a long time since I've last reported on what's going on with my 86. I've managed to repair some hail-damaged body parts, namely the side of the car. Everything looks mint now, except for the fuel tank door which is concave now. Barely noticeable though. The brand new carbon fibre bonnet, boot and roof are in my living room now. All nice and shiny. 

Photo 15-10-2016, 16 42 17.jpg

Seibon did a great job in aesthetic department, though this roof panel doesn't exactly match the other two parts in terms of colour. Vented bonnet is a beauty, but not sure if it is lighter than stock aluminium piece. The boot is a feather. It also came with matching garnish, but it needs to be drilled and dremmelled to fit a button and a camera. 

Installed the new CF parts. Bonnet is an easy job, bolts right on. I think I need a pair of hood pins for extra security at high speeds. Haven't yet decided between simple pins and aerocatch locks. Looks great when clean or covered in snow.

Unknown-2.jpeg

Boot lid is a different story. Stock bolts are too long, I had to use washers. Plate lights did not fit, so I will have to dremel the openings. Also will need to drill the inner plastic to attach the stock carpet liner. 

Photo 22-10-2016, 13 00 58.jpg

I've left one of the two dampers for now, it seems to do it's job for a lighter lid. I also bought a tow strap that I want to attach to the boot on the inside, so it would act as a handle when I want to close the lid. Not yet sure about the exact place to attach it, but presumably in the very middle of the thing, through a custom cut in the carpet liner.

Roof cover though has turned into a nightmare. I wouldn't stay flat on the roof when I glued it on, so I had to leave paint buckets for a day to hold it in place and let the glue do the job. Vainly. Water got in there and ruined the bond, so on my next ride the roof cover took off. Now I have a white roof with about 90 visible dents from hail and bits of black glue all over it. Everyone is welcome to make fun of the situation, but do not ask me to post any pictures of it. :) 

To be honest, I don't like the square look of the bonnet too much.  I've seen some projects around the internet and they've inspired me to try out some vinyl in photoshop. Check out this before-and-after image:

bonnet.jpg

What do you guys think? Is it too S2000ish? Are the gills wrapped white too ricey?

On 28/10/2016 at 2:52 PM, Keethos said:

I like it, to be fair I was thinking the same early on in my build process but went an easier route or painting most of the bonnet.

Definitely much easier to implement, and less questions from the officer.

By the way, does your bonnet fit perfectly? Mine sits a tad lower than stock, but sticks out above the wheel arches. 

It looks better with the carbon almost completely hidden tbh, I'm going to be buying the one Carbon FA bonnet soon, the intention is to wrap most the bonnet except leaving the side vents in carbon and the upper rear section of the bonnet in carbon for the central intake :P be something different too.

The White vinyl you've photoshopped onto the car will look good too, something different, my only opinion though is make sure when you do the front section on the bumper that it is maybe black carbon wrap so its as close to the bonnet colour as possible, else may look a bit odd in standard black.
On the other note the white vents, who cares about being 'Ricer' haha I'm being accused of being ricer everyday by friends, I just mock them in return for having crap cars ^^ so do as you like m8, the white vents are defo different, not necessarily in a bad way, I've just not seen them done like that before; think you'd be the only one haha.