undercharged

Rat86: yay or nay?

My 86 has been damaged cosmetically. Some dents on the bonnet and on the roof. A few on the boot, front fender, door, rear quarter...

Repairs are crazy expensive. Like out of mind, insanely crazy. To the extend where other crazy ideas start coming on my mind. One of the ideas is to convert the 86 into a rat-looking showpiece.

Quick google-search revealed zero results. No one has ever (correct me if I'm wrong) turned a zn6/zc6 into a Mad Max style rusty monster. Of course, aluminium does not really rust, but who cares? 

The plan is simple, but not very clear yet:

• Faux-rust on bonnet, roof, boot... (maybe partial?)
  • Overfenders or RB?
  • Aggressive stance (static or bags?)
  • Crazy-wide wheels, staggered, shiny
  • Perfect (stock?) underneath the ugly shell

What do you guys think? Good idea, or better sell the car as is?

I don't see why not. Could look cool. But possibly a look to wait until 2022 or thereabouts for some cheap examples...

Why won't the insurance pay out for this? I'd expect them to cover weather damage...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, Nicebiscuit said:

Why won't the insurance pay out for this? I'd expect them to cover weather damage...

Mandatory insurance in this country is a joke, it covers a light post if you run into it and that's pretty much it. Casco is a different joke, it costs like both my kidneys. 

I really appreciate the attention this controversial idea is getting. But as far as I can see, no one is happily looking forward to the results. So maybe I will think of something else instead of turning a descent sports car into a pile of rubbish. Carbon parts and RB kit can hide some damage.

FYI, the front wings, doors and rear quarters do rust:

10633406_10152996496292018_1069312643978

To be fair @undercharged I did think about it.....even played on the idea of turning the car into a proper TwoFace look to it but thought it'd be a lot of work to make it look right and even then, I'd probably only love it because of the work done to it and the idea of it, nothing beats an actual shiny mint car.  It'll definitely be interesting and unique, and it doesn't matter what people on here say, you need to be 100% sure that you'd be happy with it.  As rob mentioned, I eventually saved up enough money to get it fixed and go aftermarket with certain bits, even a whole new colour too which I love more than the whole TwoFace look.

13323266_10154400851077018_4087776764870

P.S. sorry to hear this, can't believe how much damage hail can cause, hope you get it sorted mate and keep us posted either way.

Thank you @Keethos! Your example is very inspiring and I even thought I could steal some of your aesthetic ideas.

I think I'll go with aftermarket bonnet and boot and matching roof cover. Will also try to reproduce "stripes" by wrapping some of the carbon fibre. Front fender and door are not that bad, hopefully fixable with no paintjob involved. Rear quarter and pillar are a sad part of the story though. Not exactly sure yet if I want to go wide, I know this is a slippery trail with questionable practicality. 

Shipping items to my country isn't the cheapest deal, so the project is going to be slow. Unless, of course, I decide to sell the beater and buy a Porsche, which is my brothers idea (he's crazy, he drives an Alfa-Romeo). So far I've contacted two of the nearest (sic!) Seibon dealers in China and The Netherlands and asked them to quote TS-style bonnet, CSL-style boot and a roof cover.

I also have a 1:18 remote-controlled twin of my big toy, which is still unpainted and looks like it is going to wait quite a bit. 

18 hours ago, daidaiiro said:

Only the bonnet/hood is aluminium/aluminum, bumpers plastic and the rest steel. I think. Probably. Maybe.

Definitely just to confirm.