Mike

Raised edges on tread blocks

Last week I noticed the tread blocks on the outsides of my front tyres both raised leading edges - the raised edges are consistent all the way around and on both tyres.

Not a clue how long they've been like that, but has anyone got any ideas on what would cause that sort of wear? 

(large) images of the front left - http://imgur.com/a/JpXJg (front right is the same though)

To me that looks like the same issue I was having on my Federals last year after multiple Curboroughs where the outside edge is wearing more than I'd have expected especially considering the camber I had. What is your camber set to?

Just to clarify as the 3rd pic is a tad misleading, it's the tread blocks on the outside that looks like they've been bent up at the leading edge (going across the tyre) so looking at the top of the tyre side on, the top of the tread block looks like |____

To answer the camber question as it could come in to it, 2deg on the fronts

It looks like melted rubber being pushed to the back of the edge.

I've got -2.5 up front and the outside edge still takes a beating at the track (6kg front and 7kg rear springs). Guys in the state run -3degess but that not very street friendly!

Best to measure temps across the tread bloc and adjust pressures to get them as even as possible. 

22 minutes ago, Mike said:

Wouldn't that be on the trailing edge? The raised bits are on the leading edge (the edge that'll hit the road first as the tyre rotates)

Sorry missed the leaded edge comment. That is a bit odd! Perhaps its the way the tyre is designed with a hard rubber on the leading edge. 

Just the 5 sec button press for TC off.

Braking was my initial thought as it'd be the direction the rubber is being pulled when slowing down but then I figured it'd be more along the surface rather than pulling it upwards?

It could be the voided bush in the lower arm deflecting and giving more toe under braking which is scrubbing the edges.

I'd agree that it doesn't look like anything to be too concerned about.

3 hours ago, Lauren said:

It just looks like abrasion you'd get from driving on track. 

Are you meaning the outer edge of the actual tyre? I'm aware that's perfectly normal. I'm talking about the tread block across the tyre (the red line on http://i.imgur.com/CbPZWSu.png) - my old primacys which have done at least twice the track miles haven't got raised edges like this.

Softer compound and kerbs etc. They'll just wear down with road driving. It's when they go blue, you know they've heat cycled too many times and the grip will drop off. 

On 11/07/2016 at 10:15 PM, Lauren said:

Softer compound and kerbs etc. They'll just wear down with road driving. It's when they go blue, you know they've heat cycled too many times and the grip will drop off. 

So effectively tyre heats up, becomes soft(ish) and as the tread block comes down it gets pushed back? Makes sense I guess, and thinking about it, the outer edge would have less contact with the camber so wouldn't wear down as quickly?