Ben halliwell

Hopeful future BRZ owner, need some advice

Hi guys, 

Basically i have had my first car for 6 months now(im only 19) its on finance and i have 3 and a half years left, which i intend to use as an opportunity to save up for a brz, although its a long time away i hoped you guys could give me some advice on a few things. 

Firstly, i know no one is going to have a definitive answer but does anyone have an idea where the market will stand in 4 years time?(new models,depreciation etc) ive worked out i can save around 15k in the time ive got without making myself completely skint, so a brand new one is out of the question. I like the my2016 model so i was hoping that the price would depreciate to around my price range within the time,does that seem realistic?

Next, is a BRZ really worth it? Im swaying more to the subaru side as 86's seem alot more common, this may sound stupid to some but the exclusivity really appeals to me, plus i really want the WR blue version. The only thing that worries me is that the Brz is 'rarer', could this increase the price by the time it comes around to me buying one? 

Lastly, this will be my first RWD car, also a lot more powerful than im used to, at the minute i drive a vauxhall adam slam(only has 105hp), would an 86/brz be a step up too quick or would it be a ideal car to get to grips with RWD?

Id really appreciate some help on this if you could guys. Apologies if its long and boring

Wow, planning ahead slightly! If you look at the 2nd hand BRZ market now you should find one for £16k so I'm fairly certain £15k will get you one in 3.5 years time.

I bought a BRZ for the same reason you want one, the exclusivity. I think the prices hold slightly better than the GT86 because there is only about a tenth as many, but as I said above you should still find one in your price range.

I don't think you'll have any problems with these cars. My first car (when I was 19) was a Ford Capri. RWD and no driving aids. I once did a 360 spin in the snow at a roundabout (without even trying, how good am I). Like any car, be sensible and you'll be fine.

Can't really comment on anything except the move from FWD to RWD and the jump in speed. I had a Toyota Aygo 1ltr for my first car (when i was 18) then went to a Corsa VXR (when i was 22) which felt like a Ferarri in comparison! I now have the Toyota GT68 at the age of 24. The jump in Bhp will take some getting used to in terms of pulling off and watching your speed as you will be over the limit within a couple of gear changes without even realising. Just take it easy until you feel totally comfortable with the car but obviously have fun as that's what it's all about! 

11 minutes ago, Willtl said:

Wow, planning ahead slightly! If you look at the 2nd hand BRZ market now you should find one for £16k so I'm fairly certain £15k will get you one in 3.5 years time.

I bought a BRZ for the same reason you want one, the exclusivity. I think the prices hold slightly better than the GT86 because there is only about a tenth as many, but as I said above you should still find one in your price range.

I don't think you'll have any problems with these cars. My first car (when I was 19) was a Ford Capri. RWD and no driving aids. I once did a 360 spin in the snow at a roundabout (without even trying, how good am I). Like any car, be sensible and you'll be fine.

Yeah it does seem abit keen but i thought if i get saving now ill have enough by then rather than having to go down the finance route on a new one, another reason a 3.5 year wait is ideal is that ill be 24 by then so insurance shouldnt be too pricey either,at the minute it would cost 3500 once ive held my license for a year and have no claims which isnt too much for a 2l coupe at my age i guess but i couldnt afford to buy one now so it works out

Im still in two minds about which one really, I want the BRZ because like we both pointed out the exclusivity of it,i prefer the front end and the thought of owning a subaru excites me more than a toyota, again that may sound stupid but I've always been a massive scooby fan so thats my reasoning haha. But i know alot of people prefer the interior on the 86 but at the same time i dont think thats enough to make want one over the BRZ. I've looked at second hand prices of both and there isnt a massive difference so its just down to preference i suppose

Yeah I'd definitely be careful, 15k isnt something i could just throw away haha, thanks for the help man really appreciate it!

I think the cars will easily be in reach, after all they are around the £15K mark now at four years old, so I don't think you'll have a problem there. I'm not really seeing the BRZ holding it's value more than the GT86 (same car after all), but you'll probably have to travel to find a WR Blue BRZ, but again, can't see a problem with that. 

In terms of RWD, yes, easy car to learn on, chassis doesn't have any nasty surprises, but best thing to do is book a track day and get some tuition. 

Should be fine, I spent my first 18 months of driving in a 1.2 Corsa then got my GT86. Insurance wasn't much more (less than £100 extra I think) with 2 years NCB. As others have said though, the increase in power means cruising up to speeds you shouldn't be doing is a lot easier!

5 hours ago, Lauren said:

I think the cars will easily be in reach, after all they are around the £15K mark now at four years old, so I don't think you'll have a problem there. I'm not really seeing the BRZ holding it's value more than the GT86 (same car after all), but you'll probably have to travel to find a WR Blue BRZ, but again, can't see a problem with that. 

In terms of RWD, yes, easy car to learn on, chassis doesn't have any nasty surprises, but best thing to do is book a track day and get some tuition. 

Yeah I noticed they're around my budget now, so I was wondering whether 15/16 models would drop in price in 4 years like the 12/13 models have dropped down now in 4 years, if that makes sense? 

Thats good to hear, I noticed you're based in Greater Mcr, do you have any suggestions of a good place to try thats not too far? My dad has an MX5 so it would be ideal to try get a bit of RWD experience

14 hours ago, Ben halliwell said:

Lastly, this will be my first RWD car, also a lot more powerful than im used to, at the minute i drive a vauxhall adam slam(only has 105hp), would an 86/brz be a step up too quick or would it be a ideal car to get to grips with RWD?

The '86 is communicative, has a (too) safe default stability control system, and needs to be worked hard to get lots of speed. I think it's very good starting point for RWD ownership, and will shine a bright light on the qualities of any future car you might own. Many older alternatives will happily dump you in a ditch if not treated with respect. The rest is up to the driver.

As for price, anything could happen with the continual rise of electric and self-drive vehicles. Cars like the '86 may become highly prized, or they may be made super-obsolete. Either way, circumstances change fast when you're young.

It's good to have a goal, and it certainly should be in your grasp in a few years time. I don't see why you should have any problems. It might be relatively quick, but it doesn't bite and is not at all difficult to drive.

Quite a number of people on here are very competent drivers (I've seen them on track!). But I'm not. I'm a bit of a numpty driving wise, so if I can handle it, you can too.

Also - In my experience although you get a lot of young drivers wrapping cars around trees, it's not usually the ones who had to spend 4 years saving up first

Anyhow - good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, Willtl said:

😁 I did the same, a 360 on a STRAIGHT road in the snow, I loved my banana yellow Capri

Stop it. You're scaring Ben. He only came here to talk BRZs and we're now onto pimped Capris. No doubt with matching tank top and mullet...

This is like accidentally walking in on your parents and discovering their S&M dungeon...

Hi Ben! 

I was in a similar situation to yourself when i moved onto my 86, i moved up from a ford fiesta :lol: 

I found the first couple months a big learning curve but i don't think there could be a better car for it, the traction system i think is great to get a good feel for the car and driving it in sport lets you have a little bit of fun without getting too crazy!

As others have mentioned a track session with some tuition is invaluable, it helped me to understand the balance of the car so much better and it lets you feel what it is like when its "on the limit". It also gives you a safe place to play around with what a RWD car can do and make the mistakes that you really don't want to be making on the road.

With regards to pricing and things 15k is a suitable budget even now so I'm sure you will find a good deal in a few years time with maybe even some change for a mod or two;)

I actually was going to go for the brz for the exact same reason that i love the WR Blue colour, it was only when i was 6 hours down south at my sisters graduation and i decided to pop into the local Toyota dealer that i seen the pearl white glowing like the north star that i changed my mind haha! Still have a soft spot for the Blue Brz's as they look freaking awesome!

Best of luck for the future man and i hope your plans come together!

All the best.

Bert.

22 hours ago, Mike said:

Should be fine, I spent my first 18 months of driving in a 1.2 Corsa then got my GT86. Insurance wasn't much more (less than £100 extra I think) with 2 years NCB.

Really? Hope mine will be that cheap haha

12 hours ago, Nicebiscuit said:

Stop it. You're scaring Ben. He only came here to talk BRZs and we're now onto pimped Capris. No doubt with matching tank top and mullet...

This is like accidentally walking in on your parents and discovering their S&M dungeon...

Whatever floats your boat:lol:

15 hours ago, Nicebiscuit said:

It's good to have a goal, and it certainly should be in your grasp in a few years time. I don't see why you should have any problems. It might be relatively quick, but it doesn't bite and is not at all difficult to drive.

Quite a number of people on here are very competent drivers (I've seen them on track!). But I'm not. I'm a bit of a numpty driving wise, so if I can handle it, you can too.

Also - In my experience although you get a lot of young drivers wrapping cars around trees, it's not usually the ones who had to spend 4 years saving up first emoji1.png

Anyhow - good luck.

Yeah to be honest I'm glad I have to wait a while, at least I have something to aim for and it'll feel like an achievement when i do finally buy one. And I'm not saving for 4 years to be a dick and write it off like most bellend my age:lol: Thanks for the help man really appreciate it!

I had a yaris before mine and it's a nice step up, I saved for mine for a few years like you're planning and bought mine a few month back, you won't regret it, great cars 😀

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

I had a 1.5 diesel clio when i was 17 that had about 82 hp as soon as I turned 18 and had 1 years no claims i got myself a gt86 and yeah whilst the step up in power is massive it never really bothered me you just have to treat it with care and not think you are Lewis Hamilton on your first trip out. Now i'm 20 in 3 days and i'm craving more power so as soon as I get my 3 years no claims i'll be looking to get myself a turbo :wub:

Welcome to the club Ben and impressed that you're planning that far ahead for an 86! I learnt to drive late in life (23 I think) and drove around in a Ford KA for a year before taking full advantage of the scrappage scheme and scrapping and pretty battered old Fiesta for a brand new Clio 200. That was a big step up but it wasn't light years (we're not 1000hp at your feet and a lil too much gas equals instant spin outs and death) so you'll be fine, you'll just need to be careful on the primacys in the wet and in cold weather being RWD. I then went from the Clio to the 86 which in my mind was a side step going from FWD to RWD for the first time was more about the fun of driving a RWD car (similar weight and power). As for prices, I'm sure the BRZ will be the same as the 86, even though they're rare, they're not as rare anymore as when they first came out, toyota had an agreement that every 10 86's there'll only be 1 BRZ (I think that was the number), but that doesn't apply anymore and more BRZ's have been appearing over the past year or so. Best of luck with the saving!

I don't think the ratio of GT86s to BRZs is going to change anytime soon. If you check the howmanyleft website you will see there are 4,750 GT86s out there compared to just 457 BRZs. When I ordered mine in July last year I was told that there were only 3 unreserved cars coming into the country for the rest of the year so if I didn't like the colours available I'd have to wait until 2016. Subaru doesn't deal in as many cars as Toyota and doesn't have the sizable dealer network - the ratio is just over 10 to 1 and I expect that gap to be maintained. If you don't have a big preference for a BRZ you are unlikely to want to wait 4 months for a BRZ when you can get a GT86 much sooner.