Took a trip to Scotland over the weekend for my Wedding Anniversary, didn't wash car before going, but it really needed a good clean by the time I got back! There was some unusual traffic! Filled up before leaving the west coast (with 95 octane unleaded, that part of Scotland doesn't seem to do Super, or any brand you've heard of) came back via Newcastle and in the end had done over 460 miles on 1 tank which is a record for me, light came on as I arrived home, don't normally do many motorway miles so was surprised at the mileage it is possible to get! (47MPG+ Getting into practice for dodging the strikes and fuel blockades when I go to Le Mans!)

ScotlandMay2016_025.JPG

Crikey, 250 isn't much! I looked back at my numbers and the only time I got less than 250 was when I did the track day on the 29th of Feb! My average is around 350, This tank was actually 480 miles in the end, 46 litres went in. Do you fill up as soon as the light comes on?

Usually shortly after, though sometimes I've had to go a lil longer to find a Shell garage (most miles with the light on was about 40 I think).  I tend to do short dual carriage way runs everyday with the odd motorway journey here and there, otherwise it's town driving....plus heavy foot and impatience equals less miles :(

I currently average around 28mpg, partly due to my heavy foot, and partly due to the car running a little rich at the moment. When the car was running well, that number was up around 30-32mpg, which suggests around 320-350 miles to a full tank, which is about right.

Only time I've ever seen upwards of 40mpg is after resetting the trip computer just before a 100 mile motorway journey, the duration of which I kept at 65mph (as I was on my way back to the office and was scheduled to arrive early :P) and I got around 47mpg. I'd love to be able to get that every day, fair play to you @popkid.

I'm lucky if I get 250 miles out of a tank. My car begs to be thrashed and I didn't buy a new exhaust to pootle along the carriageway at 50....

22 minutes ago, S18 RSG said:

I currently average around 28mpg, partly due to my heavy foot, and partly due to the car running a little rich at the moment. When the car was running well, that number was up around 30-32mpg, which suggests around 320-350 miles to a full tank, which is about right.

Only time I've ever seen upwards of 40mpg is after resetting the trip computer just before a 100 mile motorway journey, the duration of which I kept at 65mph (as I was on my way back to the office and was scheduled to arrive early :P) and I got around 47mpg. I'd love to be able to get that every day, fair play to you @popkid.

Yeah, I was lucky with traffic Sunday/Monday, it makes a huge difference if you're not stopping all the time. When you get into those 50 mph average speed camera monitored zones (seemed to be half the M8 and a fair stretch of the M1) it helps bump the numbers up too, I don't get those numbers all the time :) Average is about the same as yours, 30ish, I'm not sitting at 50mph on the motorway unless I have to

I've managed to get 310 miles before the fuel light came on from motorway driving and B roads and still had about 14litres left in the tank when i fueld up on tuesday,normally average 270 miles before fuel light comes on when i commute to work and back.

1 hour ago, Bles said:

Hi

Good numbers with the fuel. When are you going to Le Mans ?

Out Thursday lunchtime before the race (Dover Ferry), driving to Le Mans on the Thursday, back to Calais on the Sunday night and Ferry home Monday lunchtime, it is 524 miles Calais - Le Mans and back without allowing for any pootling back and forth to the Auchan etc, so I'll need to fill up somewhere! I figure I can start looking once I'm about 200 miles into France and anywhere I can fill up will definitely get me home :) 

Yes sounds good. We are due to go down on the Friday the 8th  in the morning and back on the Monday morning. Staying in a hotel near the university and then use the tram to get to the circuit.

13 hours ago, Bles said:

Yes sounds good. We are due to go down on the Friday the 8th  in the morning and back on the Monday morning. Staying in a hotel near the university and then use the tram to get to the circuit.

Ah, you are going to the Classic? I've never done that, should be good. they have the group C cards there this year! I'm going to the #LeMans24 (out 16th June, back 20th June)

Good numbers! Is the 47 what the car reports or actual? I've got 47.X on a long trip before, but when I filled up the car the real figure was 45.43. I had a fair bit of traffic though so I reckon something close to 50mpg is possible.

The average consumption (real, not what the car says) is about 36mpg in the 6 months I've had it.

1 hour ago, Willtl said:

Good numbers! Is the 47 what the car reports or actual? I've got 47.X on a long trip before, but when I filled up the car the real figure was 45.43. I had a fair bit of traffic though so I reckon something close to 50mpg is possible.

The average consumption (real, not what the car says) is about 36mpg in the 6 months I've had it.

Trip computer reported 48.8, actual was 47.6, reckon you could get to an actual 50 too without too much trouble, I was doing 65-70 on motorways outside of roadworks, I had about 25 - 30 mins of traffic jam, a bit of town driving in Newcastle, and was on 95 octane fuel, you would need 500 traffic free miles though :)

Upper forties is easily achievable when you're running in motorway traffic, so just chilling and listening to the radio. Quite impressive really.

Not a priority with this kind of car, but why waste money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk