KellyStark

Newbee from Newcastle - current VXR owner soon to be GT86 owner

Hi all! Just put down the deposit for my pearl white 15 plate GT86 Aero...hoping to get it this Thursday! Photos to follow

Remap is on the cards...any other recommended mods? If anyone knows of a decent place in Newcastle for remapping please give me a shout :D

Congrats and best of luck with the wait, I'm sure you'll be itching to pick her up. I'd recommend exhaust system with your remap, the stock is very quiet. Drop in air filter and positive shift mount for a couple of cheap mods that are well worth it (air filter can net you a couple of BHP and the shift mount will give you a nice gear change feel). Oh and an OEM arm rest!!!

Welcome aboard. :)

Are you sure it's a '61 plate' though? As the car wasn't launched until 12 plates came out (July 2012). Guessing 62 plate (2012-2013). Like Keith said, it's worth changing a few other things before remapping, only to save doing it again. 

36 minutes ago, KellyStark said:

Sorry I meant 15 plate! Current VXR is a 61 plate!

I will look in to those mod's! Any recommendations for where is best to buy these from?

If you're just looking to buy mods I would recommend Amber Performance, Fensport Performance & TarmacSportz.

For remapping you have Tuning Developments, Fensport, Abbey Motorsport and a few other places.

Welcome to the forum. Do yourself a favour and research manifolds before you remap. If, like me, you remap then decide you want to get rid of the infamous torque dip, you'll need a manifold. Better off just getting one first and only having to pay for 1 session of tuning time :)

58 minutes ago, Andrew Smith said:

Drop in air filter, catless manifold, remap :)

As above. Good quality catless manifolds start at around £500, and go up over £1000. Air filter, £30. Remap £500. So budget around £1000-1200 and you're looking at around 30hp peak increase, 20lb ft of torque peak. and around 35-40lbft at the torque dip IIRC (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Do research and think long and hard before shelling out for upgrades and mods. Apart from a conservative map they are pretty good 'all rounders' from the factory. If you like to drive it hard and/or track it some of the more popular options may be for you. A good (expensive) set of coil-overs can be worth their weight in gold - if you're going to use them to full effect. Completely wasted on someone like me though. :unsure:

Note though; catless, even HFC manifolds may cause issue at MOT, cheap lowering springs can make it a bit harsh and crashy, loud exhausts can get tiresome quickly, etc. Nothing wrong with any of them per se, but consider the effect(s) and knock-on side-effects of any change. I've spent money I wish I hadn't.

I don't, and have no intention of tracking mine - to me the only no-brainers are panel filter, map and tyres - probably cat-back and wheels too.

Catless manifold with secondary stock cat causes no issues at MOT, and is surprisingly quiet. Most of the noise, I found, came from the catback, not the manifold.

15 minutes ago, S18 RSG said:

Catless manifold with secondary stock cat causes no issues at MOT, and is surprisingly quiet. Most of the noise, I found, came from the catback, not the manifold.

I found the same. With just the manifold on it was barely louder than stock, you'd really struggle to tell other than the UEL sound. Once I put a catback on, it got loud.

Live with it a bit first. Had mine a year and in process now of doing filter, manifold, map, coilovers and wheels/tyres.

But glad I waited as I had a better idea of what I wanted to achieve. I'll let you know if it was worth it

Will take a bit of getting used to. Almost the opposite of something like a VXR. The chassis set up is great - but you do need to wring it's neck to get any grunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Nicebiscuit said:

Live with it a bit first. Had mine a year and in process now of doing filter, manifold, map, coilovers and wheels/tyres.

You have a lot more self control than most people on this forum lol

7 minutes ago, Andrew Smith said:

Sleep well for tomorrow you drive mwhahaha

Haha, I'll be sleeping in it at this rate of excitement! I will try and post some photos tomorrow :D