DrOsOs

Drifting GT86, Manual vs Semi-Automatic!

Something else to consider, if you plan on adding more power (serious power i.e. going force induction) then the auto box won't handle the heat and abuse of drifting the car or heavy track use.

As Keith said, the auto box is 'Ok' for a traditional manual, certainly a step up from manual boxes of 10 years ago, but with all the dual clutch boxes these days, the 86 auto is really sluggish. Manual shifting isn't immediate and isn't particularly smooth, and downshifts still feel like they're being done through jelly mounts. Perhaps I'm just a little spoiled as all I have to compare it to are good quality Mercedes autos, the DSG and a tiptronic in my old 911. The 911 gearbox was dreadful, so the 86 was a step up from that, but still light years away from a DSG or well sorted Mercedes auto.

On 27 May 2016 at 1:29 AM, Keethos said:

While you are pushing on I'd imagine not (especially if you plan on modifying the car i.e. changing the final drive, remap, exhaust system etc) but you will probably find quick starts off the line to be a lot slower than a manual, I can't remember the exact technical reasoning for this but I think it's something along the lines of the torque converter not engaging straight away thus allowing it to slip and preventing you from accelerating as hard as a manual gear box would off the line.

Put simply you cannot stall the torque converter in the normal way you would launch an auto. This is normally done by standing on the brake and throttle at the same time then letting go of the brake. Having had a go at a sprint in a friend's auto, the only way to launch it is to simply floor the throttle with the revs at idle which generally costs a second off the line.

At the end of the day it depends on how you drive your car and what you are going to use it for, if I could I would of bought a manual but did not have a choice. A lot of the comments made are true but I use auto on a daily basis and know how to get the best out of auto box.

It is a good auto box even compared to my BMW's all singing and dancing 8 speed. But the auto box can be frustrating pushing on when you want to hold a gear rather than change up or the reverse when wanting to use engine braking. So it's not necessarily the way it works it's the actual ratios which not matched to the engine etc.

I have changed the final drive ratio which has made a ton of driffence on drivability but you sacrifice a bit on fuel consumption. If the gearbox had better final drive from the get go then I would not of needed to do the mod.

Any auto box would be difficult to drift if you have not got the knowledge/experience on how to drift and as Lauren said go on drift school then decide.

14 minutes ago, MikeB said:

At the end of the day it depends on how you drive your car and what you are going to use it for, if I could I would of bought a manual but did not have a choice. A lot of the comments made are true but I use auto on a daily basis and know how to get the best out of auto box.

It is a good auto box even compared to my BMW's all singing and dancing 8 speed. But the auto box can be frustrating pushing on when you want to hold a gear rather than change up or the reverse when wanting to use engine braking. So it's not necessarily the way it works it's the actual ratios which not matched to the engine etc.

I have changed the final drive ratio which has made a ton of driffence on drivability but you sacrifice a bit on fuel consumption. If the gearbox had better final drive from the get go then I would not of needed to do the mod.

Any auto box would be difficult to drift if you have not got the knowledge/experience on how to drift and as Lauren said go on drift school then decide.

Thank you Mike, very informative!

34 minutes ago, Keethos said: Yes as Deacon mentioned I drive a manual but I first test drove an auto but that was purely because that was all the dealer had. Maybe because I'm not used to it but found the paddles a lil fussy when driving normally and boring if driving in full auto. Paddles make sense when you're pushing hard or on track but you lose a lil fun in gear changing.

Thanks for that Keith, apart from the joy and excitement of manually changing the gears, do you think I'll miss any power or agility in an auto?

Manufacturers figures show 0-60 time slower on the auto and slower top speed...

If you're looking to 'get into drifting' , I'd suggest buying a mk2 mx5 with a factory lsd and try that first rather than starting with a £15k - £25k gt86. 

If you do a UK drift day in your own car, you'll be mixing it with £500 bangers with welded diffs spinning left right and centre. You won't find many or any gt86s at public drift days. 

An alternative would be to do a drifting experience in a car provided to you. I help run Drift Limits in Hertfordshire and we have a good variety of cars to try out, from mx5's to V8 Silvias and a 1.2kilometre circuit with 1:1 tuition is provided. 

GT86's drift very well indeed of course but unless you have deep pockets, is not the best 'starter' car for someone who has no experience of drifting. 

In regards to the original question , personally I think you'd be mad to buy an auto over a manual for the purposes of getting into drifting.