Grateful thanks to Mark at Abbey for a spin in their supercharged ginger ninja. B)

The best way to describe how it feels to me, is like a decent sized V8. Very different to Dave's turbo which while I really enjoyed it, (and it has a fair bit more grunt) I just preferred the delivery from Abbey's Harrop. In it's standard tune, as-is, it's not mid-blowingly quick but has a great surge of low-down grunt that builds and builds. It's plenty fast enough for my needs and I'm sorely tempted, but haven't decided one way or the other. Yet.

If I could have two cars on the drive, I'd do it in a heartbeat, and keep a NA and get a S/C car too. I'm just concerned that I'd miss revving the tabs off my NA engine - I really enjoy it the way it is. It's just the rare occasion when it would be nice to ride a wave of torque from what feels like a lazy, yet urgent V8.

At the moment I'm a definite maybe. It'll be a month or two before I make a decision anyway - plenty of thinking to be done.

If you like revving the engine the HKS V2 is great for that. I haven't tried the Harrop so can't comment. I did try the Sprintex and though it gives great mid range, I didn't think it was quite so hot at higher revs, so not for me as I do like to be right up to the redline when I'm going for it. 

The bigger TVS based kits (Harrop/Edelbrock) seem to be able to produce similar torque at the top end to the decent centifugal systems. The Sprintex is out of its optimal efficency in the upper RPM band, the TVS1320 is probably bang on the money (I've not looked at the data).

Mark, he clearly knows his stuff.... who would want a turbo....

I'll change my mind a few times yet, but at the moment I'm feeling quite positive about going for it. :lol:

I'm going to need assurances it'll be reliable though - it's my only car and can't justify having an on again/off again affair. I need it to be trouble free and no more bother other than an annual/10k service that I've come to enjoy.

Let's see what happens when I get the money and it actually comes down to committing my hard earned.

My honest opinion is that the car N/A has more than enough power for driving twisty B roads. I just find I have to back off way earlier now with the SC, which in many ways makes it less enjoyable. 

I agree the twin screw kits produce torque everywhere (Sprintex/Cosworth/Harrop/Edlebrock) and feels like a bigger engine, it very nice to be able to get the kick in a higher gear. 

Regarding reliability. Well we know the Cosworth package has had a lot of proper engineering time and I reckon the Harrop has had a decent amount too. The benefit of the Cosworth IMO is the maps were produced in conjunction with the kit on the engine dyno (about 300 hours of testing with >100 being at full whack) and over about 10k miles of road and track testing. That is worth a lot IMO hence why I didn't mind paying £500 more for the Cossy kit. The tune doesn't have to be a base tune either, Matt@Cosworth will even look at logs and tweak their stage 2 tune for your car if you are able to get him some datalogs and upload your own tunes.

Although Cosworth don't officially give a warranty. I am pretty sure (like 99.99%) if there was an issue on my car, they'd sort me out if it was not to found to be a fault of my own. e.g. a blown rod - which is the weak point of this engine.

If you're at Japfest, you're welcome to have a drive of my HKS V2. 

I felt similar with SC, felt more like a big block NA car rather than turbo boost. 

As Lauren says the HKS V2 just keeps building and building to the red line! its all down to personal preference on which one suits your driving style and the sort of delivery you want.

I drove the HKS car with the V1 and V2 SC kits fitted. The centrifugal SC doesn't have the low end torque so you do have to rev it  which might suit B road driving enjoyment if you like to rev the nads off it. 

At the end of the day though, i'll be much more rapid whatever kit fitted, and you find yourself having to back off more often as hitting a ton is achievable in a relatively short time. 

Mind, if you are used to a TVR then you'll know all about that!

I'm with daidaiiro on this, I often don't feel like the car needs any more and I enjoy rev'ing it but every so often I do feel like it needs just a lil bit extra.  I've briefly driven most of what's currently out there at the moment, Avo, TD, Sprintex and HKS, not driven or been in a Cosworth, Harrop or Vortex yet but so far from what I can remember, they didn't feel overly different from each other, there were minor differences like when the power would kick in etc but I'd personally need a lot longer period of time to really feel the differences between these systems (which is a big ask) and I'm sure I would get used to the way any of the systems would deliver the power or feel quite easily so I'm very much stuck on not being able to choose which system.

I was fortunate enough to drive Abbeys Harrop GT86 on Friday. I have to say I share similar thoughts, without doubt a great kit, the power delivery is smooth and progressive, very much like the stock engine just with more power, you don't get a huge surge of torque low down which could quite easily upset the car (which I liked), it does certainly shift above 5k. Whilst it is useable power, for me its too much to use on the road, I had to constantly keep an eye on the speedo and be ready on the brakes, with my NA I can really wind it up and not have to be as concerned, it didn't add much to the overall driving experience for me, the only thing It did highlight was how irritating the torque dip is on the stock engine. However, if I was to change my mind (i'd never rule it off) I'd go with the Harrop with little hesitation, despite that attractive price tag of the HKS V2 the Harrop is very well suited to this car..

Can I just say big kudos to the guys at Abbey, its real nice to see a company offer customers the opportunity to test drive their car and try the product, I can't imagine many others doing that!  

Hi

Just a quick update. Have dropped my car off with Abbey this morning to have the Harrop fitted and Mark to perform his magic with the tunning.

Cant wait to get it back.

Rod

I've had the Harrop on my car for just over a week now, I also have a shorter final drive. The combination of the two means +80% torque at the wheels across pretty much the entire rev range as well as eliminating the torque dip.

Needless to say it's like driving an entirely different car, all that extra torque makes the daily drive to work and back much easier with considerably less cog stirring required and when you do get to open the taps the grin factor is superb.

Bles, you're going to love it :-)

3 hours ago, DanJ said:

It's worth noting that the fitted price for the HKS and Harrop kits is almost identical, the HKS is cheaper but takes much longer to fit.

That's useful to know.

I'm leaning towards the Harrop/Cosworth/Sprintex superchargers with the Harrop in the lead for me. The HKS looks a bit Heath-Robinson to me - more like some of the lower-end turbos - which doesn't inspire confidence.

The fit and forget nature of the big player SC kits makes them very attractive to me, plus I'm not chasing numbers, just a tad more oomph to enable a pass I'd not take with current/OEM limitations. The A36 and A303 has some decent passing opportunities which are too fleeting for my liking at the moment. By my reckoning, an extra 50 BHP would just about do it. Starting out conservatively, if that's not enough there's still more to come if required, especially with the Harrop; the Cosworth not so much.

Please keep the Harrop (and other) updates coming. :)

11 hours ago, daidaiiro said:

That's useful to know.

I'm leaning towards the Harrop/Cosworth/Sprintex superchargers with the Harrop in the lead for me. The HKS looks a bit Heath-Robinson to me - more like some of the lower-end turbos - which doesn't inspire confidence.

The fit and forget nature of the big player SC kits makes them very attractive to me, plus I'm not chasing numbers, just a tad more oomph to enable a pass I'd not take with current/OEM limitations. The A36 and A303 has some decent passing opportunities which are too fleeting for my liking at the moment. By my reckoning, an extra 50 BHP would just about do it. Starting out conservatively, if that's not enough there's still more to come if required, especially with the Harrop; the Cosworth not so much.

Please keep the Harrop (and other) updates coming. :)

Both the Harrop, Edlebrock and Cosworth are about +80hp.

Why do you think there isn't more power to come from the Cosworth?

4 minutes ago, Ade said:

Both the Harrop, Edlebrock and Cosworth are about +80hp.

Why do you think there isn't more power to come from the Cosworth?

It's a smaller blower, there is more headroom with the bigger blowers.... He didn't say the Cossie couldn't make more power, but there was less headroom ;)

1 minute ago, knightryder said:

It's a smaller blower, there is more headroom with the bigger blowers.... He didn't say the Cossie couldn't make more power, but there was less headroom ;)

The Cosworth is capable of 380hp which is enough to break the gearbox.

Sure the blower is a little smaller, but the heat exchangers are much bigger. I would argue both the Edlebrock and Harrop do not have big enough cooling for any more power than stock. +30C for the Edlebrock and +40C for the Harrop over ambient when hooning around the track is already going to lose you some power.

7 minutes ago, rob275 said:

Surely these are all just here say figures though seeing as nobody has any data available?

Nope. Plenty of datalogs stateside from all three kits.

Harrop have just released some data. They were running ~70C IAT in 28C ambient.

e9a1c280-ef69-40e5-8216-17fab46a3b79.jpg

Edlebrock was running 56C in 21C ambient

8F50A9A2-52CB-4A39-BA68-DA3B45501291_zps

Mine was about 26C is 10C ambient at Bedford.

Untitled_zpsiatn1x6a.png

Not trying to piss on anyone's purchase here. Its easy to come across as such on the forums, but that not my intention.  They all have their pro's and Con's. Cosworth being expensive for one but it's definitely got more in the bag if you want to be able to break your transmission or rear axels.