patto

Hi from up north

Hi all  , had my GT86 for a week now after part exing a Audi tt against it , had quite a few Toyota's in the past and fancied another one . Loving the rawness of it compared to the Audi the only thing I don't like is the gear box , the MR2's I have had in the past felt better and the were cable operated

Welcome aboard. I'm surprised you find the gearbox worse than an MR2. I've had a number of MR2's I should add. You could try the Whiteline bush that goes in the void in the bushing on the gearbox mount. About £30. It does make it a fair bit more positive. I had one fitted a couple of years ago. It's not a difficult job. 

Hi , the car is not new ,  it is a 2013 model with 19000 miles on it so should have loosened up by now , 2nd gear is a pain some times , I might try fitting the Whiteline bush to see if it helps

Ah, well yes 2nd is like that. I find mines ok when warmed through, but a bit rubbish when cold. I'm used to it now, but in addition to the bush mentioned above some people have improved matters running different gearbox oil (try googling)

I'm up in Durham occasionally for work. I'll look out for you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Lauren said:

Welcome aboard. I'm surprised you find the gearbox worse than an MR2. I've had a number of MR2's I should add. You could try the Whiteline bush that goes in the void in the bushing on the gearbox mount. About £30. It does make it a fair bit more positive. I had one fitted a couple of years ago. It's not a difficult job. 

Lauren did you find any extra noise after having the bush fitted ?

Congrats and welcome to the club. Any plans for the car? Mods? Trackdays? Car Shows?

There are a couple of threads about the 2nd gear issue and some people have had luck with adjustments and oil changes but can't remember exactly the details but would also recommend the positive shift mount that Lauren mentioned. @KevinA - I've not noticed any extra noise but you can feel a lil extra vibration through the gear stick if you tend to leave your hand on it while driving.

Hi  , I am trying not to mod it too much just the odd things like the wheels  and rear spoiler . Will  not mess too much with springs etc as all ready scraped the front bumper getting into car park at work . 

I had a blue 350z imported when they first came out in Japan and spent £0000s on it  to make it a show car , this was when I was deep into all the jap car clubs , shows etc  , I cried when I sold it a few years later on how much money I lost 😥

On 3/25/2016 at 8:49 AM, Lauren said:

I didn't really notice any as such, Kev. Though some have reported that. 

Main thing I noticed as a downside was more buzzing through the gearstick (not really surprising) but I felt it made it feel slightly better, so was happy with the result for not much spend. Must say I really like the gearbox in mine, but some people have had issues with 2nd (and they did include people who were used to sporty gearboxes)

Alec